Virus-Cant boot Laptop?

nottus45

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hello,

I tried streaming the football the other day, at which point Internet explorer crashed and I received a "Firewall breach" warning.

I decided to shut down the computer.

Aftering shutting down, I tried to restart the PC, but I have a problem:
-The system starts to load (shows the screen where you can press F2 to enter the BIOS).
-Next it goes to a completely black screen, with a white underscore flashing in the top left hand corner.

I can't get past this screen.

I tried pressing the keyboard on this screen and it just beeps at me everytime I press a keyboard key. This would imply to me that it hasnt crashed completely??

After doing a bit of searching, I saw a recommendation to boot in safe mode, by pressing F8 repeatedly on start up. I tried this but didnt get any response.

Anyone have any ideas what I should be doing here??

Possible useful info:
-Laptop: Acer Aspire 5735

nottus45

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks for your responses! :)

Will the reinstall of the OS delete my personal data or will I need to backup my data (by removing HDD and connecting to another PC) if I want to keep it?

Also, if I backup the data by connecting the HDD to another PC, is there a risk of this other PC becoming infected by the virus as well?

Thanks for your help :)

arges86

Distinguished
reinstalling the OS will wipe EVERYTHING.
You'll need 2 back up your data. There is little risk that you'll transfer the virus, just don't run any executables from the infected HD.