Do I HAVE to have a NIC card?

July 11, 2005 12:12:03 AM

I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When I
install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I do
have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?

Thanks,
DD

More about : nic card

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:12:04 AM

"DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When
> install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I
> do
> have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
>
> Thanks,
> DD

If your computer does not have a NIC, just where do you plan to attach the
Ethernet cable?
You bought a low-end laptop that does not have a built in NIC. Yes, you
must have a NIC.
If you already have another computer attached to the cable modem, you will
need a router as well to share the internet connection. As you are about to
learn, a low-end laptop is not a deal when you consider the money you must
invest to give it the capabilities that you want. You will now have to buy
a PCMCIA Ethernet card, or a USB to Ethernet converter. Wireless is not an
option, as it was not included on your low end laptop.

Bobby
July 11, 2005 12:27:08 AM

DD wrote:

> I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem.
> When I install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC
> installed but I do have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to
> have a NIC?
>
> Thanks,
> DD

You either need a network ethernet adapter (NIC - Network Interface
Card) or a USB-ethernet adapter to connect to the cable modem. It is
most unusual for a new laptop to not have a NIC built-in, but if in
fact you really don't have one then you'll need to buy the network
adapter card. Look in your laptop manual or take your laptop to a local
computer shop and have them look at it and help you pick out the
hardware you will need (if you need it). It will not be overly
expensive. If you buy an ethernet pc card, make sure you have some
cat5e ethernet cable with which to connect your new card to the cable
modem. The salesperson at the computer store can help you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I guess I
don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.

"Malke" wrote:

> DD wrote:
>
> > I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem.
> > When I install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC
> > installed but I do have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to
> > have a NIC?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > DD
>
> You either need a network ethernet adapter (NIC - Network Interface
> Card) or a USB-ethernet adapter to connect to the cable modem. It is
> most unusual for a new laptop to not have a NIC built-in, but if in
> fact you really don't have one then you'll need to buy the network
> adapter card. Look in your laptop manual or take your laptop to a local
> computer shop and have them look at it and help you pick out the
> hardware you will need (if you need it). It will not be overly
> expensive. If you buy an ethernet pc card, make sure you have some
> cat5e ethernet cable with which to connect your new card to the cable
> modem. The salesperson at the computer store can help you.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:22:23 AM

The Roadrunner modem plugs into the NIC. Can't have Roadrunner without
either the NIC or a USB NIC (if the modem has the correct output).

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When
> install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I
> do
> have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
>
> Thanks,
> DD
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:22:24 AM

or PCMCIA NIC

some support

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com>
wrote in message
news:o isZ1fchFHA.1052@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| The Roadrunner modem plugs into the NIC. Can't have
Roadrunner without
| either the NIC or a USB NIC (if the modem has the correct
output).

| --
| Regards,
|
| Richard Urban
| Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|
| Quote from: George Ankner
| "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
| You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
knew!"

| "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| >I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner
Cable Modem. When
| > install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC
installed but I
| > do
| > have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a
NIC?

| > Thanks,
| > DD

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:33:29 AM

Additionally, check with Road Runner's tech support. Their modems may also connect via USB cable.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A82D8B4E-95CD-42DF-8860-62525B5A75EB@microsoft.com...
>I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When I
> install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I do
> have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
>
> Thanks,
> DD
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:57:07 AM

DD wrote:
> OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I
> guess I don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.

NIC - Network Card.. Has a cable that plugs into it that looks like an
extra-large version of a telephone line. Has genuinely ONE purpose - to
allow your computer to talk with other computers on a network.

USB - Universal Serial Bus.. Allows many different peripherals to be easily
connected to your computer. You can plug in USB Thumb Drives, Other
External Drives, Printers, Telephones, Miscellaneous adapters, etc. Some
Cable Modems and DSL modems even allow you to plug into a USB port to use
that instead of a network card.

You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access from
and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to tell you
what equipment they have available to get you connected than us.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB port I
choose. My problem came about when I was installing the software into my
laptop and it told me I didn't have a network interface card but I do have an
IRQ available. I had assumed that since I can connect via USB on my main
computer, then I can also connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still
correct in assuming that but there is somethin amiss.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> DD wrote:
> > OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I
> > guess I don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.
>
> NIC - Network Card.. Has a cable that plugs into it that looks like an
> extra-large version of a telephone line. Has genuinely ONE purpose - to
> allow your computer to talk with other computers on a network.
>
> USB - Universal Serial Bus.. Allows many different peripherals to be easily
> connected to your computer. You can plug in USB Thumb Drives, Other
> External Drives, Printers, Telephones, Miscellaneous adapters, etc. Some
> Cable Modems and DSL modems even allow you to plug into a USB port to use
> that instead of a network card.
>
> You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access from
> and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to tell you
> what equipment they have available to get you connected than us.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 11, 2005 4:10:13 AM

DD wrote:
> Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB
> port I choose. My problem came about when I was installing the
> software into my laptop and it told me I didn't have a network
> interface card but I do have an IRQ available. I had assumed that
> since I can connect via USB on my main computer, then I can also
> connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still correct in assuming
> that but there is somethin amiss.

Thus why I stated:

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

DD wrote:
> I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When I
> install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I do
> have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
>
> Thanks,
> DD
When I started with RR I recieved 2 CDs, a RR install and a Driver CD.
You need the driver CD for your modem.
You can connect your PC using the USB port on your modem.
Start the install using the driver CD,follow the instructions.
-max
Registered Linux User #393236
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:33:23 AM

DD,
Check the site:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/usbmain.htm

You will need a special USB networking cable for the 2nd PC (Laptop), if you are connecting with USB cables and a Hub. It might be time to consider using an Ethernet connection and router to network PC's and have internet connection. This will need the purchase of NIC cards for you PC and Laptop.
--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> DD wrote:
> > OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I
> > guess I don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.
>
> NIC - Network Card.. Has a cable that plugs into it that looks like an
> extra-large version of a telephone line. Has genuinely ONE purpose - to
> allow your computer to talk with other computers on a network.
>
> USB - Universal Serial Bus.. Allows many different peripherals to be easily
> connected to your computer. You can plug in USB Thumb Drives, Other
> External Drives, Printers, Telephones, Miscellaneous adapters, etc. Some
> Cable Modems and DSL modems even allow you to plug into a USB port to use
> that instead of a network card.
>
> You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access from
> and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to tell you
> what equipment they have available to get you connected than us.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 11, 2005 9:19:07 AM

OK, snippy. Actually my laptop DOES have wireless capability. I have 2 USB
ports but for some reason the software will not install (even though I am
currently using the connections/software via USB on a different computer). I
simply want to connect my laptop temporarily, not simultaneously with my main
computer.

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When
> > install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I
> > do
> > have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > DD
>
> If your computer does not have a NIC, just where do you plan to attach the
> Ethernet cable?
> You bought a low-end laptop that does not have a built in NIC. Yes, you
> must have a NIC.
> If you already have another computer attached to the cable modem, you will
> need a router as well to share the internet connection. As you are about to
> learn, a low-end laptop is not a deal when you consider the money you must
> invest to give it the capabilities that you want. You will now have to buy
> a PCMCIA Ethernet card, or a USB to Ethernet converter. Wireless is not an
> option, as it was not included on your low end laptop.
>

> Bobby

July 11, 2005 9:21:04 AM

Not really any point in posting that last comment, huh smartie? If you can't
help, don't comment.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> DD wrote:
> > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB
> > port I choose. My problem came about when I was installing the
> > software into my laptop and it told me I didn't have a network
> > interface card but I do have an IRQ available. I had assumed that
> > since I can connect via USB on my main computer, then I can also
> > connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still correct in assuming
> > that but there is somethin amiss.
>
> Thus why I stated:
>
> > You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access
> > from and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to
> > tell you what equipment they have available to get you connected
> > than us.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 11, 2005 1:12:47 PM

"DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB port I
> choose. My problem came about when I was installing the software into my
> laptop and it told me I didn't have a network interface card but I do have
an
> IRQ available. I had assumed that since I can connect via USB on my main
> computer, then I can also connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still
> correct in assuming that but there is somethin amiss.

Ok so your main computer is all working and can connect to the Internet
right? I assume you now want to share the connection with your laptop
_without_ disconnecting the cable from your main PC and reconnecting it to
your laptop each time....

In which case you need to connect the laptop to the main computer (see
below) and enable ICS on the main PC (ICS = Internet Connection Sharing).
This allows the laptop to connect "through" the main PC.

You could connect the laptop to the main PC using either:

a) A crossover LAN cable and a NIC in the laptop and desktop.
b) A wireless link using two USB wireless access points (one on the main and
one on the laptop).

An alternative to using ICS would be to replace the cable modem with one
that has an Ethernet port and buy a wireless router (or a combination of the
two in one box). The main PC would connect via a wired LAN (assuming the
main pc has a NIC card) and the laptop would connect by wireless (using a
USB Wireless access point or a PCMCIA wireless card).

c)
July 11, 2005 1:12:48 PM

Actually what I want to do is connect my Cable modem to my laptop INSTEAD of
to my main computer. I am just wanting to get the laptop on temporarily (to
get it working because where I am going on vacation rents out modems and RR
service daily). Any idea why I can hook up my main computer via USB but not
my laptop?

"CWatters" wrote:

> "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB port I
> > choose. My problem came about when I was installing the software into my
> > laptop and it told me I didn't have a network interface card but I do have
> an
> > IRQ available. I had assumed that since I can connect via USB on my main
> > computer, then I can also connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still
> > correct in assuming that but there is somethin amiss.
>
> Ok so your main computer is all working and can connect to the Internet
> right? I assume you now want to share the connection with your laptop
> _without_ disconnecting the cable from your main PC and reconnecting it to
> your laptop each time....
>
> In which case you need to connect the laptop to the main computer (see
> below) and enable ICS on the main PC (ICS = Internet Connection Sharing).
> This allows the laptop to connect "through" the main PC.
>
> You could connect the laptop to the main PC using either:
>
> a) A crossover LAN cable and a NIC in the laptop and desktop.
> b) A wireless link using two USB wireless access points (one on the main and
> one on the laptop).
>
> An alternative to using ICS would be to replace the cable modem with one
> that has an Ethernet port and buy a wireless router (or a combination of the
> two in one box). The main PC would connect via a wired LAN (assuming the
> main pc has a NIC card) and the laptop would connect by wireless (using a
> USB Wireless access point or a PCMCIA wireless card).
>

> c)

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:12:49 PM

The ISP probably assigns you an IP address based upon the MAC address of
your desktop. This is the most common method. If this is the case, you
will need a router to hook up your laptop, even if it is the only one
attached to the modem. Why do you not simply follow the advice offered to
you numerous times and call the support desk? It would solve your problem
much faster than this, as they will have the information you need.

Bobby

> Actually what I want to do is connect my Cable modem to my laptop INSTEAD
> of
> to my main computer. I am just wanting to get the laptop on temporarily
> get it working because where I am going on vacation rents out modems and
> RR
> service daily). Any idea why I can hook up my main computer via USB but
> not
> my laptop?
>
> "CWatters" wrote:
>

>> "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB port
>> > choose. My problem came about when I was installing the software into
>> > my
>> > laptop and it told me I didn't have a network interface card but I do
>> > have
>> an
>> > IRQ available. I had assumed that since I can connect via USB on my
>> > main
>> > computer, then I can also connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am
>> > still
>> > correct in assuming that but there is somethin amiss.
>>
>> Ok so your main computer is all working and can connect to the Internet
>> right? I assume you now want to share the connection with your laptop
>> _without_ disconnecting the cable from your main PC and reconnecting it
>> your laptop each time....
>>
>> In which case you need to connect the laptop to the main computer (see
>> below) and enable ICS on the main PC (ICS = Internet Connection Sharing).
>> This allows the laptop to connect "through" the main PC.
>>
>> You could connect the laptop to the main PC using either:
>>
>> a) A crossover LAN cable and a NIC in the laptop and desktop.
>> b) A wireless link using two USB wireless access points (one on the main
>> and
>> one on the laptop).
>>
>> An alternative to using ICS would be to replace the cable modem with one
>> that has an Ethernet port and buy a wireless router (or a combination of
>> the
>> two in one box). The main PC would connect via a wired LAN (assuming the
>> main pc has a NIC card) and the laptop would connect by wireless (using a
>> USB Wireless access point or a PCMCIA wireless card).
>>

>> c)

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:15:41 PM

DD wrote:
> Not really any point in posting that last comment, huh smartie? If
> you can't help, don't comment.

Just pointing out the obvious and simple solution that would have had you up
and going and not asking about equipment supported by someone else in a
public worldwide newsgroup.. You know - sort of like RTFM. After all - you
are the only one sitting in front of your system and - obviously - the only
one that cannot get it to work - or can with help. You obviously want help,
but for some reason refuse to ask the ones who would be more likely to
help - instead asking complete strangers?

The fact is you have a problem connecting to an Internet Service provider
who either likely sold or rented or recommended a modem to use with their
service. In any case they either support the modem in question or you got a
manual when you bought it yourself. You are going through a lot of trouble
to solve a simple issue.

My guess is you have this modem - it has a USB connection on it and likely
some software that woould enable it to connect to your laptop through USB.
Did you follow the instructions to install the software? Did you unplug the
modem from power for a few minutes before attempting to hook a thehine to it
(some ISPs assign the single IP they give out by MAC address, so if you ever
had another computer hooked in, you will need to reset the modem's "memory"
of this system and allow it to think this is the "first computer" plugged in
so you can get an address.)

Also - as to your very first question, "Do I have to have a NIC?" <- Only
the manufacturer of the modem in question (and/or the technical support for
your Internet Service provider if they provided/recommended the modem) would
be able to answer that and why should we (volunteers on a newsgroup) call
them up/look up the manual on the web for you when you are obviously more
than capable of that yourself?

None of this is sarcasm - simple facts and suggestions to get you fixed up
and - if you didn't know before - teach you how to get the help you need in
a faster more reliable manner in the future. After all - it is entirely
possible you didn't know you could call your ISP for assistance, or that you
could look up and lkely get the manual and/or the latest software for your
modem from the Internet or that your modem might remeber the last machine
connected to it and you need to reset it before connecting to it in a
different manner..

That whole "Teach a man to fish.." thing..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

He was helping you by giving you the most straight forward and direct
answer.

> Not really any point in posting that last comment, huh smartie? If you
> can't
> help, don't comment.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> DD wrote:
>> > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB
>> > port I choose. My problem came about when I was installing the
>> > software into my laptop and it told me I didn't have a network
>> > interface card but I do have an IRQ available. I had assumed that
>> > since I can connect via USB on my main computer, then I can also
>> > connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still correct in assuming
>> > that but there is somethin amiss.
>>
>> Thus why I stated:
>>
>> > You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access
>> > from and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to
>> > tell you what equipment they have available to get you connected
>> > than us.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 11, 2005 5:34:25 PM

Just a pet peeve of mine.

Its not a network interface card card so lets try and not call them nic
cards.

news:o qKNxJehFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> DD wrote:
> > OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I
> > guess I don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.
>
> NIC - Network Card.. Has a cable that plugs into it that looks like an
> extra-large version of a telephone line. Has genuinely ONE purpose - to
> allow your computer to talk with other computers on a network.
>
> USB - Universal Serial Bus.. Allows many different peripherals to be
> easily
> connected to your computer. You can plug in USB Thumb Drives, Other
> External Drives, Printers, Telephones, Miscellaneous adapters, etc. Some
> Cable Modems and DSL modems even allow you to plug into a USB port to use
> that instead of a network card.
>
> You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access from
> and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to tell you
> what equipment they have available to get you connected than us.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 11, 2005 7:14:09 PM

"DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually what I want to do is connect my Cable modem to my laptop INSTEAD
of
> to my main computer. I am just wanting to get the laptop on temporarily

Oh I see now. I think you will have to check with your ISP. Some ISP
restrict things to one computer.
July 11, 2005 11:50:50 PM

Ok! Lets not!