Do I HAVE to have a NIC card?

I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When I
install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I do
have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?

Thanks,
DD
21 answers Last reply
More about card

    "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When
    > install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I
    > do
    > have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > DD

    If your computer does not have a NIC, just where do you plan to attach the
    Ethernet cable?
    You bought a low-end laptop that does not have a built in NIC. Yes, you
    must have a NIC.
    If you already have another computer attached to the cable modem, you will
    need a router as well to share the internet connection. As you are about to
    learn, a low-end laptop is not a deal when you consider the money you must
    invest to give it the capabilities that you want. You will now have to buy
    a PCMCIA Ethernet card, or a USB to Ethernet converter. Wireless is not an
    option, as it was not included on your low end laptop.

    Bobby

    DD wrote:

    > I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem.
    > When I install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC
    > installed but I do have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to
    > have a NIC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > DD

    You either need a network ethernet adapter (NIC - Network Interface
    Card) or a USB-ethernet adapter to connect to the cable modem. It is
    most unusual for a new laptop to not have a NIC built-in, but if in
    fact you really don't have one then you'll need to buy the network
    adapter card. Look in your laptop manual or take your laptop to a local
    computer shop and have them look at it and help you pick out the
    hardware you will need (if you need it). It will not be overly
    expensive. If you buy an ethernet pc card, make sure you have some
    cat5e ethernet cable with which to connect your new card to the cable
    modem. The salesperson at the computer store can help you.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I guess I
    don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > DD wrote:
    >
    > > I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem.
    > > When I install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC
    > > installed but I do have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to
    > > have a NIC?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > DD
    >
    > You either need a network ethernet adapter (NIC - Network Interface
    > Card) or a USB-ethernet adapter to connect to the cable modem. It is
    > most unusual for a new laptop to not have a NIC built-in, but if in
    > fact you really don't have one then you'll need to buy the network
    > adapter card. Look in your laptop manual or take your laptop to a local
    > computer shop and have them look at it and help you pick out the
    > hardware you will need (if you need it). It will not be overly
    > expensive. If you buy an ethernet pc card, make sure you have some
    > cat5e ethernet cable with which to connect your new card to the cable
    > modem. The salesperson at the computer store can help you.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    The Roadrunner modem plugs into the NIC. Can't have Roadrunner without
    either the NIC or a USB NIC (if the modem has the correct output).

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When
    > install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I
    > do
    > have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > DD

    or PCMCIA NIC

    some support

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com>
    wrote in message
    | The Roadrunner modem plugs into the NIC. Can't have
    Roadrunner without
    | either the NIC or a USB NIC (if the modem has the correct
    output).

    | --
    | Regards,
    |
    | Richard Urban
    | Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    |
    | Quote from: George Ankner
    | "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    | You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
    knew!"

    | "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | >I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner
    Cable Modem. When
    | > install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC
    installed but I
    | > do
    | > have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a
    NIC?

    | > Thanks,
    | > DD

    Additionally, check with Road Runner's tech support. Their modems may also connect via USB cable.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    DD wrote:
    > OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I
    > guess I don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.

    NIC - Network Card.. Has a cable that plugs into it that looks like an
    extra-large version of a telephone line. Has genuinely ONE purpose - to
    allow your computer to talk with other computers on a network.

    USB - Universal Serial Bus.. Allows many different peripherals to be easily
    connected to your computer. You can plug in USB Thumb Drives, Other
    External Drives, Printers, Telephones, Miscellaneous adapters, etc. Some
    Cable Modems and DSL modems even allow you to plug into a USB port to use
    that instead of a network card.

    You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access from
    and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to tell you
    what equipment they have available to get you connected than us.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB port I
    choose. My problem came about when I was installing the software into my
    laptop and it told me I didn't have a network interface card but I do have an
    IRQ available. I had assumed that since I can connect via USB on my main
    computer, then I can also connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still
    correct in assuming that but there is somethin amiss.

    DD wrote:
    > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB
    > port I choose. My problem came about when I was installing the
    > software into my laptop and it told me I didn't have a network
    > interface card but I do have an IRQ available. I had assumed that
    > since I can connect via USB on my main computer, then I can also
    > connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still correct in assuming
    > that but there is somethin amiss.

    Thus why I stated:

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    DD wrote:
    > I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When I
    > install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I do
    > have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > DD
    When I started with RR I recieved 2 CDs, a RR install and a Driver CD.
    You need the driver CD for your modem.
    You can connect your PC using the USB port on your modem.
    Start the install using the driver CD,follow the instructions.
    -max
    Registered Linux User #393236

    DD,
    Check the site:
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/usbmain.htm

    You will need a special USB networking cable for the 2nd PC (Laptop), if you are connecting with USB cables and a Hub. It might be time to consider using an Ethernet connection and router to network PC's and have internet connection. This will need the purchase of NIC cards for you PC and Laptop.
    --

    Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > DD wrote:
    > > OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I
    > > guess I don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.
    >
    > NIC - Network Card.. Has a cable that plugs into it that looks like an
    > extra-large version of a telephone line. Has genuinely ONE purpose - to
    > allow your computer to talk with other computers on a network.
    >
    > USB - Universal Serial Bus.. Allows many different peripherals to be easily
    > connected to your computer. You can plug in USB Thumb Drives, Other
    > External Drives, Printers, Telephones, Miscellaneous adapters, etc. Some
    > Cable Modems and DSL modems even allow you to plug into a USB port to use
    > that instead of a network card.
    >
    > You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access from
    > and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to tell you
    > what equipment they have available to get you connected than us.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    OK, snippy. Actually my laptop DOES have wireless capability. I have 2 USB
    ports but for some reason the software will not install (even though I am
    currently using the connections/software via USB on a different computer). I
    simply want to connect my laptop temporarily, not simultaneously with my main
    computer.

    "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

    > "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to connect my new low-end laptop to my Road Runner Cable Modem. When
    > > install the software, I am told that I do not have a NIC installed but I
    > > do
    > > have an available IRQ. Does this mean I HAVE to have a NIC?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > DD
    >
    > If your computer does not have a NIC, just where do you plan to attach the
    > Ethernet cable?
    > You bought a low-end laptop that does not have a built in NIC. Yes, you
    > must have a NIC.
    > If you already have another computer attached to the cable modem, you will
    > need a router as well to share the internet connection. As you are about to
    > learn, a low-end laptop is not a deal when you consider the money you must
    > invest to give it the capabilities that you want. You will now have to buy
    > a PCMCIA Ethernet card, or a USB to Ethernet converter. Wireless is not an
    > option, as it was not included on your low end laptop.
    >

    > Bobby

    Not really any point in posting that last comment, huh smartie? If you can't
    help, don't comment.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > DD wrote:
    > > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB
    > > port I choose. My problem came about when I was installing the
    > > software into my laptop and it told me I didn't have a network
    > > interface card but I do have an IRQ available. I had assumed that
    > > since I can connect via USB on my main computer, then I can also
    > > connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still correct in assuming
    > > that but there is somethin amiss.
    >
    > Thus why I stated:
    >
    > > You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access
    > > from and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to
    > > tell you what equipment they have available to get you connected
    > > than us.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB port I
    > choose. My problem came about when I was installing the software into my
    > laptop and it told me I didn't have a network interface card but I do have
    an
    > IRQ available. I had assumed that since I can connect via USB on my main
    > computer, then I can also connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still
    > correct in assuming that but there is somethin amiss.

    Ok so your main computer is all working and can connect to the Internet
    right? I assume you now want to share the connection with your laptop
    _without_ disconnecting the cable from your main PC and reconnecting it to
    your laptop each time....

    In which case you need to connect the laptop to the main computer (see
    below) and enable ICS on the main PC (ICS = Internet Connection Sharing).
    This allows the laptop to connect "through" the main PC.

    You could connect the laptop to the main PC using either:

    a) A crossover LAN cable and a NIC in the laptop and desktop.
    b) A wireless link using two USB wireless access points (one on the main and
    one on the laptop).

    An alternative to using ICS would be to replace the cable modem with one
    that has an Ethernet port and buy a wireless router (or a combination of the
    two in one box). The main PC would connect via a wired LAN (assuming the
    main pc has a NIC card) and the laptop would connect by wireless (using a
    USB Wireless access point or a PCMCIA wireless card).

    c)

    Actually what I want to do is connect my Cable modem to my laptop INSTEAD of
    to my main computer. I am just wanting to get the laptop on temporarily (to
    get it working because where I am going on vacation rents out modems and RR
    service daily). Any idea why I can hook up my main computer via USB but not
    my laptop?

    "CWatters" wrote:

    > "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB port I
    > > choose. My problem came about when I was installing the software into my
    > > laptop and it told me I didn't have a network interface card but I do have
    > an
    > > IRQ available. I had assumed that since I can connect via USB on my main
    > > computer, then I can also connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still
    > > correct in assuming that but there is somethin amiss.
    >
    > Ok so your main computer is all working and can connect to the Internet
    > right? I assume you now want to share the connection with your laptop
    > _without_ disconnecting the cable from your main PC and reconnecting it to
    > your laptop each time....
    >
    > In which case you need to connect the laptop to the main computer (see
    > below) and enable ICS on the main PC (ICS = Internet Connection Sharing).
    > This allows the laptop to connect "through" the main PC.
    >
    > You could connect the laptop to the main PC using either:
    >
    > a) A crossover LAN cable and a NIC in the laptop and desktop.
    > b) A wireless link using two USB wireless access points (one on the main and
    > one on the laptop).
    >
    > An alternative to using ICS would be to replace the cable modem with one
    > that has an Ethernet port and buy a wireless router (or a combination of the
    > two in one box). The main PC would connect via a wired LAN (assuming the
    > main pc has a NIC card) and the laptop would connect by wireless (using a
    > USB Wireless access point or a PCMCIA wireless card).
    >

    > c)

    The ISP probably assigns you an IP address based upon the MAC address of
    your desktop. This is the most common method. If this is the case, you
    will need a router to hook up your laptop, even if it is the only one
    attached to the modem. Why do you not simply follow the advice offered to
    you numerous times and call the support desk? It would solve your problem
    much faster than this, as they will have the information you need.

    Bobby

    DD wrote:
    > Not really any point in posting that last comment, huh smartie? If
    > you can't help, don't comment.

    Just pointing out the obvious and simple solution that would have had you up
    and going and not asking about equipment supported by someone else in a
    public worldwide newsgroup.. You know - sort of like RTFM. After all - you
    are the only one sitting in front of your system and - obviously - the only
    one that cannot get it to work - or can with help. You obviously want help,
    but for some reason refuse to ask the ones who would be more likely to
    help - instead asking complete strangers?

    The fact is you have a problem connecting to an Internet Service provider
    who either likely sold or rented or recommended a modem to use with their
    service. In any case they either support the modem in question or you got a
    manual when you bought it yourself. You are going through a lot of trouble
    to solve a simple issue.

    My guess is you have this modem - it has a USB connection on it and likely
    some software that woould enable it to connect to your laptop through USB.
    Did you follow the instructions to install the software? Did you unplug the
    modem from power for a few minutes before attempting to hook a thehine to it
    (some ISPs assign the single IP they give out by MAC address, so if you ever
    had another computer hooked in, you will need to reset the modem's "memory"
    of this system and allow it to think this is the "first computer" plugged in
    so you can get an address.)

    Also - as to your very first question, "Do I have to have a NIC?" <- Only
    the manufacturer of the modem in question (and/or the technical support for
    your Internet Service provider if they provided/recommended the modem) would
    be able to answer that and why should we (volunteers on a newsgroup) call
    them up/look up the manual on the web for you when you are obviously more
    than capable of that yourself?

    None of this is sarcasm - simple facts and suggestions to get you fixed up
    and - if you didn't know before - teach you how to get the help you need in
    a faster more reliable manner in the future. After all - it is entirely
    possible you didn't know you could call your ISP for assistance, or that you
    could look up and lkely get the manual and/or the latest software for your
    modem from the Internet or that your modem might remeber the last machine
    connected to it and you need to reset it before connecting to it in a
    different manner..

    That whole "Teach a man to fish.." thing..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    He was helping you by giving you the most straight forward and direct
    answer.

    > Not really any point in posting that last comment, huh smartie? If you
    > can't
    > help, don't comment.
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> DD wrote:
    >> > Fine. I already connect the modem to my main computer via any USB
    >> > port I choose. My problem came about when I was installing the
    >> > software into my laptop and it told me I didn't have a network
    >> > interface card but I do have an IRQ available. I had assumed that
    >> > since I can connect via USB on my main computer, then I can also
    >> > connect via USB on my laptop. I think I am still correct in assuming
    >> > that but there is somethin amiss.
    >>
    >> Thus why I stated:
    >>
    >> > You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access
    >> > from and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to
    >> > tell you what equipment they have available to get you connected
    >> > than us.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP
    >> --
    >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Just a pet peeve of mine.

    Its not a network interface card card so lets try and not call them nic
    cards.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > DD wrote:
    > > OK, I guess what I'm confused about now is that I have 2 USB ports, I
    > > guess I don't know what they are if they are not NIC's.
    >
    > NIC - Network Card.. Has a cable that plugs into it that looks like an
    > extra-large version of a telephone line. Has genuinely ONE purpose - to
    > allow your computer to talk with other computers on a network.
    >
    > USB - Universal Serial Bus.. Allows many different peripherals to be
    > easily
    > connected to your computer. You can plug in USB Thumb Drives, Other
    > External Drives, Printers, Telephones, Miscellaneous adapters, etc. Some
    > Cable Modems and DSL modems even allow you to plug into a USB port to use
    > that instead of a network card.
    >
    > You should contact those you will be or have gotten cable/dsl access from
    > and ask THEM what you need. They are more likely to be able to tell you
    > what equipment they have available to get you connected than us.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Actually what I want to do is connect my Cable modem to my laptop INSTEAD
    of
    > to my main computer. I am just wanting to get the laptop on temporarily

    Oh I see now. I think you will have to check with your ISP. Some ISP
    restrict things to one computer.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Ok! Lets not!

NIC Connection Microsoft Windows XP