AMD Plans to Slash Pricing of Dual-Core Chips Shortly

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20071003053302.html

The new exact new prices for the higher-end AMD dual-core microprocessors are unclear, but given that the fastest chip from the company is currently sold for $251, it is highly likely that the price corrections will not be substantial and will be generally meant to align pricing of AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors with mainboards based on AMD chipsets so that to attract attention of system integrators to AMD’s platforms.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
There are some tech addicted people around who cannot afford all the new tech they want, and hate it when they cannot upgrade gaining 10 to 20% because of the price (you know the type, "my rig is better than yours"). This will drive them crazy. And the war to overclocking as Phenoms and Cores are comparable clock for clock... it will be awesome.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I will be having a lot of fun myself. I generally upgrade with a 300 $ CPU, 200$ GPU, 100$ RAM and 150$ Board when the next hop offers me at least twice the performance. And I don't throw the old system away (or sell it), because they (all the old systems) still offer great experience for other members of my household.

silentfoot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
i always look forward to these price cuts! just hope the 5200+, which i think AMD released a blank edition with unlock multiplier, gets a decent price drop. might just pick it up!

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I always compare price/performance ratios, and bracket the price range of the customer. That way he gets the best bang/buck and I look like Scotty on Star Trek. <smile>

Come to think of it, he never looked very good. Maybe I shoud have said, I appear to have the same engineering prowess.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
The Pentium Dual Cores we make at work are very cheap and perform pretty damn well. If you want to get good OCes for cheap, Pentium Dual Cores are the way to go.

Hard to beat a e2160 w/a $80-$100 p35 mobo right now, due to the OC'ability of them. AMD's can be cheaper, but don't OC nearly as much, which makes them a good decent STOCK build right now.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
AMD should have dropped the prices before. But anyways, given that the prices are already pretty low, as the article states, there shouldn't be a large price drop. Maybe $10-$20? Well I'm glad AMD is finally acting again, I just wished they would have dropped the prices long before.

AMD now has more bang for your buck, without overclocking.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I think price dropping is a bad idea though. They're already losing money on the chips and have cut prices to outstanding levels. Cutting the 5000+ series and 6000+ series is just crazy. If I was an AM2 owner though that wanted an upgrade before Phenom, which in my opinion is not worth it, just wait, than go for it. But Phenom will be worth the wait I believe.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
If stock is high, and upgrades to Phenom worth a hoot, then it just makes sense that AMD would make this step. Generating operating capital is a great move in my book.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
If AMD doesn't cut prices they would find themselves sitting on a stock of old processors that definitely won't sell once Phenom ramps up. Better to sell at a loss then to not sell at all.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
But not having large inventories lying around will help operating costs, and if Phenom does half way decently it should start making up for all the losses they've been having recently. They've probably got some economists on payroll who know a bit more about this stuff than the majority of us do about this kind of thing... and of course they have all the facts.

-mcg

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I wonder what ever happened to all that Barcelona hype...it released, and than, poof, no benchies. Kind of left me scratching my head goin' "wtf was with the hype than??"

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Well they don't really "lose" the money. The only way they can lose money is if they don't sell it. As long as they sell it, they regain their money back. Think it of this way: they lose money every time they make a cpu and when they sell it, they make it back plus a little more.