Comments wanted in regards to Seagate 15k

onexus

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I've been reading here and there about components in hopes to putting together a new build. The HD I had in mind was the Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATAII 32MB ($112). As I was perusing the website which I plan on getting most of the parts from (pccyber.com), I noticed this SEAGATE 147GB ULT320 SCSI 68PIN 15K ($277). So I started thinking maybe use the 15k (as primary) one to put OS and all program apps on (this build will be for music production mainly) and then use the 7.2k one for files and such. Thing is I read somewhere (mind you the subject was relating to a 1st generation 10k drive) that a specific controller was needed in addition to make use of this type of drive. So I checked out seagate and found out that this 15k drive is not geared towards home pcs, but more for the mid-high businesses and there was no clause regarding controllers. Looking at the pdf file the diagram looks like a regular hd drive, but some stuff like "these drives are designed to be used only on single-ended (SE) or low voltage differential (LVD) busses. Do not install these drives on a high voltage differential (HVD) bus'' make it seem like its not an easily usable HD.

Anyways a few questions arise:

1. Say I wanted to consider this 15k drive, what specification is important when choosing a motherboard? (i've been leaning towards P5K-E WIFI or ASUS Striker II Formula, if both have the same type of firewire port it will be P5K)

2. Will I need some sort of controller or specific cable to get this 15k hd working? And if so where can I learn more about them?

3. Are Hd coolers like these a must for these types of high spinning discs?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121909

4. Is there a big advantage of having programs and OS on a 15k, as opposed to 7.2K?

It's kinda dark so if anyone can shed some light, it would be great. The main reason why I am even considering this type of drive, is that I've read a few times that the HD is the "slowest" component of a build, plus the addition of such a drive still keeps me well within the budget (mid range) I had set for myself which is $2500 I'm floating around 1600-1700 so far (which I am quite content with) including taxes and before rebates (i don't factor rebates cause they give me headaches and don't always come thru).

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I used those in my last computer build (a PIII 450) on an Adaptec AHA-2930U2 card . They are very fast, but they require cooling fans (run HOT :fou:) and are very loud :ouch: . I chose a SATA II 7.2K drive for my next build, and am thinking of a Raptor or newer Barracuda on my next build.

You would need a SCSI controller card to operate a SCSI drive. Some server boards come with onboard controllers but I've yet to see anything consumer / desktop orientated that has one. Some serious workstation class boards do include a controller but expect to pay money.

In all honesty you would probably be better served by a couple of Raptors using the onboard raid of the MB you choose. SCSI is a great technology (I still run a Plextor SCSI CD-R drive on a Tekram card) but really nowadays it has been taken over by SAS.

If you really want to go the SCSI route then just have a google. There are many standards but you are really wanting to learn about Ultra SCSI to play with the drive in question.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Buy 3 seagate 500GB 32MB cache 7200.11's and raid 0 2 of them and use the third for storage.
Cost less than a scsi controller and that overpriced drive.
Also don't waste your money on the Raptors either, as the 7200.11 drives out perform them.

onexus

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
hmm so they are really loud, which makes sense I was thinking the P182 case would help alleviate that issue, I heard the raptors were pretty loud, but they are not that bad for me...considering your comments, I am reading about the RAID stuff as audiovoodoo mentionned,... I am forgetting about this 15k drive and thinking about using 3 seagate 500GB 32MB cache 7200.11's and raid 0 2 of them and 3rd for storage as bobbknight suggested, I've read about the risk of one hd failing means u lose everything (on the hd's that are in RAID I think). I'm not to concerned with that as I'm pretty good with backups.

But this brings me to another nooby question.

Say that one of the hd's fails/breaksdown, would I still be able to put the hd that did not fail into say an hd external enclosure and reformat it and potentially keep on using, maybe even RAID 0 it with another hd in the future again?

Ty so much for your input, you guys really know your stuff and really help us with less knowledge on computer technology and whatnot.

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Say that one of the hd's fails/breaksdown, would I still be able to put the hd that did not fail into say an hd external enclosure and reformat it and potentially keep on using, maybe even RAID 0 it with another hd in the future again?

If you enable RAID 0 on two drives, and one of them fails, you'll lose all the data, but the second drive will be fine.

The main advantage to a higher RPM drive is the reduced access time and potential for higher throughput. On the server side, this is important, but in a desktop environment high RPM and RAID 0 for speed are overrated for the most part.

onexus

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
this is like the 5th time in a very short time of perusing the net, that I've heard of RPM and RAID O for speed to be overrated, the more I think of it ,the current build that I have in mind (excluding the 15k drive), should run circles around my current desktop (that's what I want anyways, without breaking the bank), I'll be posting my build later on once i look over my part lists again...15k drive are out of the question due to prices of Ultra SCSI compliant controllers...RAID 0 I'm going to read a bit more about that once I get home, even though it may be overrated for the most part (underline most part), I want to learn more about it to see if that "most part" will be noticeable in performance gain overall (gonna check to see if there are any benchmarks on such in this site or check for articles).

I'd like to thank again everyone for contributing to this thread and helping a fellow noob out.