Having Some issues with Q6600 OC

Khar00f

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Hi guys, i need some input plz on ocing my machine, i'll detail the specs then the problem

Case: ThermalTake SopranosRS 101
PSU: OCZ Silencer 610W
Mobo: Asus P5N32E-SLI +
Cpu: Intel Q6600
Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700LED
RAM: 4GB OCZ Reaper (OCZ2RPR8002GK X2)
Video: Some Crappy 40$ card (waiting for 2x 8800GT's)
HDD: 500GB Seagate (RAID5) X4 and 1X36GB 10000 RPM WD
Burner: LG Burner (sata)

I can't seem to OC the damn thing past 2800

For the things that i've tried there's always 2 distinct results for failures

A) Black screen no boot (i just reset and the Asus C.P.R. function kicks in)
B) The pc boots shows the post screen but freezes there (doesn't list the cpu/ram/hdd) it just freezes after it writes the first line which tells you the model of the board.(have to reset the jmpr)

now on wht i've tried, since i was having so many issues ad wanted to just see what i can do, i've tried disabling the hdd's (no power/sata connectors) and set the ram to 2.2v and the processor to 1.5v (figured i'd eliminate the voltage as an issue) but alas same results.

I've been reading for 3 days and now posting finally.
A lot of ppl recommend using 1:1 for FSB/RAM ratio, on that board the 1:1 (1066:1066) is not good cause it's the same speed for both, the equivalent of 1:1 is called Sync Mode.

the ratios that are available are (Auto, Sync Mode, 1:1, 5:4, 3:2)
The PCI-E is set to 100

and finally the results

3.0 no matter combination of ratios (sync mode or 3:2) always gets to the freezing post screen.

i was able to get the system to boot to windows with cpu at 2.86 and ram at 850 it got to windows. it was really just to test how far the ram can go. i used the 3:2ratio.

Funny thing is, if i run the processor in Sync Mode at 3.0 means the mem is running at 667 (way below specs) and it still does the Post freezing screen. so i decided to try with Vcore at 1.5 just to see, and still the same thing.

So guys i'm desperate for help, i made a few posts on this forum cause i wanted to build an oc'ing machine and i bought the parts according to recommendations (and Toms' Dual vs Quad article as a base reference ;) ), so you can understand my disappointment if i can't even reach 3.0. hopefully there's just something stupid i'm missing that's specific to this board (like the RAM issue, where i have to set the voltage manually or the system crashes left and right)

.... I will be trying all recommendations posted here and report back with results specific to each one, so knock yourselves out and help a lad in need :)

Thanks.

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
I'm not an expert here, in fact, i'm still learning. :)
But i read some people having problems OC with 4 sticks of ram (which i think you have, is that right?).

If so, did you try with only 2 sticks?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I think he has a 2x2gig set.

Set ram to 1:1. Lower voltages to 1.9V. Too much can cause instability. Raise the fsb to 333Mhz and set the cpu multiplier to 9, using 1.35V. Just to make sure it'll boot, lax timings to 5-5-5-15.

If this doesn't work, use memtest to see if you have any defective ram.

If you need more help, there's a guide here that could help you.

Khar00f

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
hi guys, ok let`s start from the top,

the memory has been thouroughly tested, with mem test for over 24 hours, and the memory has no issues. (it`s 4X1GB just to clear the confusion)

the Memory specs (From OCZ website) say to run it at 2.1V

at 2.1V it`s very stable.

and from what i read, if i`m not going to overclock the the memory then that should not be an issue right?

if by overclocking the FSB the memory stays under or at the most at 800Mhz then the issue doesn`t come from the memory (Correct me if i`m wrong).

@ Evilonigirl Question about the memory... just want to make sure to get this straight, if i set the fsb to 333 (meaning 1332) and memory to 1:1 means my memory will run at 1332 (same as FSB) which is way above the 800Mhz, is that what you want me to try?

Right now i seem to have discovered something with my motherboard, i was able to get 2.9 yesterday, by putting a big home fan blowing straight at the motherboard, i beleive my NB/SB are overheating, dunno which is, which would explain why i couldn`t get more than 2.7. as soon as i put that fan there i was able to reach 2.9 no issues, didn`t have much time to play around with it.

which brings me to my second question.
I tried finding as many articles as possible on that but couldn`t find anything. Abou the NB/SB what`s the Voltages i should put on them things like a min / max regardless of heat, since for now i'll keep using that big fan to cool everything so i can narrow down my issues.

right now i`m at work the pc is running prime at home to check stability at 2900 Multiplier X9, FSB 1289 (1.35V), mem at 4-4-4-15 (2.1V), NB(1.4V), SB set to AUTO, I've also disabled all the spread spectrum settings(CPU-SATA-etc...)

Thanks guys, your help is very much apreciated.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
If you underclock your ram, you better lower the voltages or it'll cause instabilities. Just because they said it'll operate at 2.1V doesn't mean you have to use it at that voltage.

Khar00f

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
"If you underclock your ram, you better lower the voltages or it'll cause instabilities. Just because they said it'll operate at 2.1V doesn't mean you have to use it at that voltage."

Ahh that I didn`t know, so i`ll try and lower the voltage tonight when i get back home, thanks for the heads up. i thought that as long as it`s at 2.1 even if i underclock then there shouldnt`be an issue as long as i don`t overclock.

Khar00f

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Reults

FSB: 1334 (333)
Mem: 667
CPU Voltage: 1.35V
NB: 1.5V
Mem: 5-5-5-15 at 1.85V

Pc Freezes on Post screen