Video card upgrade help!

wildman999

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
I have a Dell xps 400, with a 375w psu. I would like to upgrade my card to play COD4. Any suggestions without upgrading my psu?

The biggest problem is that that unit only has 18amps on the +12v rail. That almost instantly limits the cards you can put into your system. What card is currently in that box of yours? COD4 doesn't seem to be all that demanding so you may be able to play it better than you think.

At best you could probably squeeze an 8600GTS into that system. A 7900GS would be next on the list, but they recommend 20 amps, so that might be stretching it a bit.

Hmmmm, every image I saw showed a single +12v rail with only 18amps. Maybe the ones I saw were older models. If it is indeed 30 amps (no reason it wouldn't be) then you could get just about any card on the market for your system. I knew the 305 had 22 amps, I have one of those in my Dimension 4700. That kinda made me wonder about the numbers I was seeing.

MAgrippa

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
You got probs .... This is why many of us here do not recommend Dells, Compaqs, HPs, Emachines or any of the such... They are TOO proprietary and one way or another limit your ability to upgrade ... These machines were made for Dick or Jane to buy and plug in and play, Don't even think about opening the case ... In 3 years or so, spring for another whole PC.... If you want future proofing, build your own....Anything less than 450-550 W PSU these days limits you terribly... Not trying to be harsh here, but with what you have, It is what it is...... an open the box and plug and play machine ..

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

I know what I have, and what it is (and isn't).
There are many Dell models that can use a regular ATX psu, but you knew that, correct?
Plug and Play machine? I'm glad I don't listen to people that make blanket statements.
BTW: How to you become one of "us" with 13 posts and hide behind the "stranger" designation profile?
Things I've upgraded on my propriety box:
ram, gpu, cpu, psu, cd-r/dvd drive, sound card
Not trying to be harsh here, but deemed an appropriate response to your post, whoever you are (one of us?)

Hey you only have the mobo, case, keyboard, mouse, etc. left. Your almost there!!

4745454b

Titan
With 30A on the 12V rail, you should be good to go with just about anything out there, excluding SLI/CF setups. You will probably run into problems if you pick an 8800 or 2900, but thats due to the size of the card, not power requirements. Measure where your PCIe slot is, and see if it can take a good 12 inches. (sorry, couldn't figure out how to word that so it wasn't naughty...) If you've got 10inches, I believe you are good for the 8800GTS/2900. If you've got 12, then you can run the 8800GTX/ultra. (or the OEM version of the 2900.)

Whats your budget like, and what resolution will you be playing at? (if you aren't in the US, what video cards are available to you?)

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't be so sarcastic considering your set-up.
I bought a base system and changed-out or added those components. 19" FP, mouse, keyboard, and warranty included with system. All upgrade items under warranty also. If something goes wrong with system just put old parts back in and it's covered.
7300LE to 8600GT (for now)
1GB ram to 3GB
added optical drive (had 1 already)
added X-Fi Xtreme Music card for $45 brand new (also connected to front panel btw)
64x2 3800+ to 5000+
changed psu to 470w for a 8800GT (when released)

So flame me all you want, I'm not a kid. I remember playing Asteroids on my Atari 2600
I do the best with my limited budget

Wasn't flaming on you, was just kidding around. I love that you and others have changed things out of the stock ones. I wasn't in any way trying to make fun of you or your situation. I think alot of people can learn from what you and others have done. I was just trying to point out that you had almost changed everything out, in a humorous way. Sorry if this offended you, I wasn't trying to do that.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

No problem. I'm just a little too anxious waiting for the 8800GT. That's the last thing I can do to this before my next system. What do you think?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3700&Itemid=1

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Looks to be. It was on the Foxconn website till Nvidia had it pulled? But the Fud has it on their site again.
256bit 512mb (1st) followed by 256mb

cleeve

Illustrious

Dual 12v rails? Heck, go for an X1950 PRO...

pauldh

Illustrious
More likely they just used what they had laying around. I'm thankful they at least included a GF7 for comparison. Based on the 7900GT performance, a 7950GT would have also lost to the X1950 pro also.

cleeve

Illustrious
The 7950 GT isn't much of a step up from the 7900.

Still, on average I'd say the 7950 GT is a bit better card than the X1950 PRO - but thew X1950 PRO is quite a bit cheaper last time I checked.

I wouldn't bother paying notably more for a 7950 GT.