XFX 8600GT XXX & My PC

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend currently owns a Emachines T5212 with the following specs:

-Intel® Pentium® D Processor 805
-ATI Radeon® Xpress 200
-2GB PC4200
-200GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
-Power Supply 300W

I recently added a XFX Geforce 8600GT XXX Edition (Drivers 163.71)

I almost pinpointed the problem, when i set "hardware acceleration" to -NONE- , i can watch movies just fine, but i cannot play games. But when i set "hardware acceleration" to -FULL- i can play games perfectly fine but i cannot watch movies. (i can hear the movie playing in "FULL setting" but i cannot see it)

I was wondering if my computers power supply had anything to do with this ?

anybody that can help me please.
9 answers Last reply
More about 8600gt
  1. I'm not sure why the hardware acceleration would affect it (everything should work on full) the power supply probably doesn't have enough amps on the 12V rail, a common problem. Check that on the PSU's label.
    Another thing, the XXX versions are overclocked which would make even more power draw.
  2. what was your previous card? or was the Xpress integrated?
  3. starcraftfanatic said:
    what was your previous card? or was the Xpress integrated?


    yes it was the ati xpress 200 integrated.
  4. nitrous9200 said:
    I'm not sure why the hardware acceleration would affect it (everything should work on full) the power supply probably doesn't have enough amps on the 12V rail, a common problem. Check that on the PSU's label.
    Another thing, the XXX versions are overclocked which would make even more power draw.


    how many Amps should it have on a power supply ?

    i am currently looking at this one: http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=78&pPath=510&productID=512
  5. I think it might be the integrated graphics. You should be able to disable it within the BIOS. Either that or it's the power supply. I can say without doubt though that it is one of those two things.
  6. ive had a very similar problem were changing the hardware accelaration make movies/games work or not work..to get em both working i updated codecs..might not be it but worth a try...also both worked fine before upgrading gfx cards
  7. bob360 said:
    ive had a very similar problem were changing the hardware accelaration make movies/games work or not work..to get em both working i updated codecs..might not be it but worth a try...also both worked fine before upgrading gfx cards


    what codecs do i need to download, and where can i download them from ?
  8. bob360 said:


    Ok well today i went out to buy a 600Watt power supply, the problem continued, so i went ahead and replaced the card with a new one and still the problem continued, after that i updated BIOS and chipset drivers and it still continued.

    The problem lies in the 163.71 Drivers, i know this because i installed OLD drivers that came with the video card (158.19A) and everything worked fine.

    I want to thank everyone who helped.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Movies Power Supplies Graphics