cpu fan made noises when installing?

mtstans

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I am putting together my new righ....I have a intel cpu lga 775 socket based....
I installed my thermal greese on my cpu and can and installed the 4 pins.
However while pushing down on these pins, it made a creasing almost like a crunch sound while doing this.
Is this normal?

I think it was the white sleeve things breaking in while the black push knobs were engaging the hole and pin sliding t hrough the back of the mother board, but I'm really not sure.

Can anyone post some general tips on installing and reinstalling these 4 pin socket fan holders for the cpu?
Thanks
Matthew

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Yes it is normal. The noise is from the pins going through the plastic. You must have install the retail heatsink that came with it. As long as all screws are sticking through you are fine.

mtstans

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
no it was a thermal take cooler, but it has the same type of pins. Thanks for the confirmation, I'm close to getting the rig put together, and hope this thing powers up =)

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Take the motherboard out of the case if it is in and make sure the black pins in the back are sticking through fully (level with the clearer shell) before turning anything on.

mtstans

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
thanks for the heads up. I did that and all the fine black pnts are sticking out past the hole. All is good now! Thanks