Sign in with
Your question

8800GTX OC - A new adventure

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 18, 2007 2:05:23 AM

So, as some may or may not know, i RMA'd my HD2900 Pro for an 8800GTX Over Clocked version (arrives tomorrow), from Foxconn. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... ) I want to know, should i uninstall the drivers with the current 7900GS plugged in, reboot, run DriverCleaner Pro, and than pop in the 8800GTX and reinstall the drivers? or perhaps just pop the 7900GS out and put the 8800GTX in?

I want this time around to be VERY different. No software issues, none of that. I want to trouble shoot it all a day ahead of the arrival date (It arrives tomorrow). So I can just get home from work, read this thread, get my info, and go from there. :D 

Also, I'm asking that people submit programs they wished to have benchmarked with my 8800GTX OC. Such as, 3DMark06, World in Conflict, F.E.A.R etc etc etc. I will, however, note that the reformat from last times adventure with the HD2900 Pro, resulted in losing some $500+ in software that I got when i worked at GameStop. So, F.E.A.R, NFS:MW, Test Drive Unlimited, Battlefield 2142, and various other games, all got lost. I currently have Battlefield 2, World in Conflict, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, and a few others. but I can use Aquamark, 3DMark05/06, and any other program suggested. I can also try to make a pit stop at my friend's house tomorrow and pick up a bunch of games, such as BioShock, F.E.A.R, Supreme Commander, virtually anything. please do note however, that I work ten hour shifts every day, and tomorrow I also have PT with my fellow Navy DEPers, so i won't be home till 6:30PM or later. So benchmarks might be a day behind, potentially delayed till Monday because my buddy from the Army is coming back home, and I intend on spending a huge amount of time with him partying out in Portland.

In any case, if you have a suggestion for making this new transition as PROBLEM free as humanly possible. PLEASE SUGGEST IT!!! It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :) 

More about : 8800gtx adventure

October 18, 2007 2:47:15 AM

So far I've got...

AquaMark3
3DMark06
Unreal Tournament 3 DEMO
Call of Duty 4 DEMO
Cell Factor: Revolution
World in Conflict
Battlefield 2
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
OpenGl Fur Benchmark

Needing more...
October 18, 2007 3:31:05 AM

You could try:
Oblivion in an outdoor scene, with water
bioshock (in a figth preferably)
Supreme Commander (500+ units on screen)
Colin McRae DiRT
Lost Planet
Forza Motorsports 2 (if it's out yet, I don't remember)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R (with AA, outdoor scene)
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars (20+ units on screen)
Caesar 4 (this one is out of curiosity, probably isn't a good benchmark but please indulge me :D )

Also, just to give you a 10 hr shift at your pc testing, play all I sugested before and after OC'ing your card to see the difference, don't forget to log your temps (NvtempLogger is good, so is nTune) and tell us if the card is too hot.

Can't think of any other game I'd like to see tested.

Also, I think is best if you uninstall the drivers with the 7900GS still pluged in, then turn off, slap the 8800GTX in and install th new drivers (is what I always do and I've never had any trouble whatsoever)
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
October 18, 2007 5:57:23 AM

OBLIVION
TIME SHIFT DEMO
MOH:AIRBORNE
LOST PLANET
C&C3: TIBERIUM WARS
DIRT
COMPANY OF HEROES
October 18, 2007 6:47:03 AM

You dont have to be so afraid.The fact that you had problems with the ati card doesnt mean you`ll have the same with the GTX.I had all kinds of problems with a 1950Pro last year and when i installed a 8800 GTS - no format ,no driver cleaning,just install and go-everything was great.Just run the benchmarks to have an idea of the performance of your new card.Personally i only run 3DMark06 to see the difference from new drivers.
October 18, 2007 6:56:37 AM

I would also like to see how thiscard performs with MAME. Can't get enough fps when playing my arcade games...
October 18, 2007 6:03:58 PM

justinmcg67 said:
So, as some may or may not know, i RMA'd my HD2900 Pro for an 8800GTX Over Clocked version (arrives tomorrow), from Foxconn. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... ) I want to know, should i uninstall the drivers with the current 7900GS plugged in, reboot, run DriverCleaner Pro, and than pop in the 8800GTX and reinstall the drivers? or perhaps just pop the 7900GS out and put the 8800GTX in?

I want this time around to be VERY different. No software issues, none of that. I want to trouble shoot it all a day ahead of the arrival date (It arrives tomorrow). So I can just get home from work, read this thread, get my info, and go from there. :D 

Also, I'm asking that people submit programs they wished to have benchmarked with my 8800GTX OC. Such as, 3DMark06, World in Conflict, F.E.A.R etc etc etc. I will, however, note that the reformat from last times adventure with the HD2900 Pro, resulted in losing some $500+ in software that I got when i worked at GameStop. So, F.E.A.R, NFS:MW, Test Drive Unlimited, Battlefield 2142, and various other games, all got lost. I currently have Battlefield 2, World in Conflict, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, and a few others. but I can use Aquamark, 3DMark05/06, and any other program suggested. I can also try to make a pit stop at my friend's house tomorrow and pick up a bunch of games, such as BioShock, F.E.A.R, Supreme Commander, virtually anything. please do note however, that I work ten hour shifts every day, and tomorrow I also have PT with my fellow Navy DEPers, so i won't be home till 6:30PM or later. So benchmarks might be a day behind, potentially delayed till Monday because my buddy from the Army is coming back home, and I intend on spending a huge amount of time with him partying out in Portland.

In any case, if you have a suggestion for making this new transition as PROBLEM free as humanly possible. PLEASE SUGGEST IT!!! It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :) 

I've had my 8800GTS 640 OC installed for the second day today. As you did I encountered problems with the 2900Pro also (Theme from The Twilight Zone is heard). I removed the ATI drivers before installing the 8800, deleting the ATI driver folders from ADD/Remove programs. Using the latestr 163.69 drivers from nvidia.com. My new card installed and is running lights out! Runs and looks so good and at Mfg. specs 575/1700 (Rod Serling didn't get his hands on this and default to 500/1000 :lol:  )

I have the card installed on a dual boot Vista 32/XP Pro 32 system with no problems. I did update my MB BIOS and increased my memory voltage and got the system to run even better with the new card.

October 18, 2007 6:50:16 PM

I got my Gigabyte 8800GTX about 2 weeks ago. You'll like it. I haven't bothered to benchmark it but it runs Lost Planet, all settings on high, 4X AA, 16X Isotropic, etc., etc. @ 1920x1200 @ 40fps...don't know whether that's good or bad but its enough for me to enjoy the game. It'll do 2500x1600 in Lost Planet @ 20-26 fps with the settings on medium under Vista. Looks like I may want to consider SLI if I ever become more than the rare-to-casual gamer that I am? ...and quite importantly, the card is not loud at all, surprisingly enough...but its not OC'd either.

Enjoy your GTX, feed it well.
October 18, 2007 10:51:23 PM

Well the damn thing is out for delivery and it not here at the time I expected. My packages have ALWAYS been here when i arrive home from work (3:30PM). It does indicate it's out for delivery, and they dliver until 7:30 (UPS that is), but I go to Bed at 8:00PM. Oh well, screw it...I want to see this thing in World in Conflict. And I'll attempt to purchase the suggested games...(I'm already blowing $300 on games here soon, UT3, Crysis, Bioshock, HL2 Orange Box, Gears of War, Supreme Commander...) The list goes on. But anywho...I'll try to get a "copy" from some friends, but eh, we'll see how it goes. I'm swamped this weekend. But, I'll make time for my new $500 acquisition. :D 
October 19, 2007 12:27:33 AM

justinmcg67 said:
Well the damn thing is out for delivery and it not here at the time I expected. My packages have ALWAYS been here when i arrive home from work (3:30PM). It does indicate it's out for delivery, and they dliver until 7:30 (UPS that is), but I go to Bed at 8:00PM. Oh well, screw it...I want to see this thing in World in Conflict. And I'll attempt to purchase the suggested games...(I'm already blowing $300 on games here soon, UT3, Crysis, Bioshock, HL2 Orange Box, Gears of War, Supreme Commander...) The list goes on. But anywho...I'll try to get a "copy" from some friends, but eh, we'll see how it goes. I'm swamped this weekend. But, I'll make time for my new $500 acquisition. :D 

justinmc67, you are gonna love that gtx. got mine last month.

But tell you what, I think World in Conflict is gonna make that GTX sweat!!!

Mind you I hear that it is not just hard on GPU but also on the CPU. What do you have for a CPU?
October 19, 2007 12:58:18 AM

OMFG OMFG OMFG it arrived! I'm shutting down ASAP and installing it! And I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ OCed to 2.64GHz, so it's all good. BRB with the results!!
October 19, 2007 2:01:48 AM

It woudl appear as though my CPU or RAM is bottlenecking my system. I'm putting my money on the RAM right now. It's not the fastest out there. I'll replace it in the coming weeks. But! This thing is a BEAST!! Here's a simple benchmark screen shot of a few programs I ran. Enjoy.

October 19, 2007 2:24:23 AM

WiC @ 1600x1200:

October 19, 2007 2:35:52 AM

Unreal Tournament 3 DEMO @ 1280x1024. FPS screen shot. (NOTE: There was actually shooting going on and what not, but the time of the snap shot doesn't vividl show this, but it hopped around from 52-61. So you decide.)

October 19, 2007 2:56:32 AM

Cell Factor @ 1280x1024. This game is HORRIBLE when it comes to scaling it seems. Don't know why, it doesn't have uber graphics or anything. Oh well, here's a screen.

October 19, 2007 3:06:17 AM

Good luck man. I have a 8800 GTX and everything is smooth beautiful on it. I know you'll love yours
October 19, 2007 3:19:15 AM

So far so good. I think it's my RAM though that's bottlenecking it. As my ram is 2x PC2700 and 2x PC3200. OCed though, but, I still believe it's the RAM. Maybe the CPU. If it's the CPU however I'm screwed...nothing better on S939 than what I have. There is better, but not on newegg.com
October 19, 2007 3:45:37 AM

justinmcg67 said:
So far so good. I think it's my RAM though that's bottlenecking it. As my ram is 2x PC2700 and 2x PC3200. OCed though, but, I still believe it's the RAM. Maybe the CPU. If it's the CPU however I'm screwed...nothing better on S939 than what I have. There is better, but not on newegg.com

Good stuff, I am happy that you got the 8800gtx going... man that was fast!!!

8fps min on WiC lol, isn't that amazing? Mind you maybe we can consider that a "feature" so that we can enjoy that nuke going off!!!

Hey, I am not sure which one is your bottleneck mem or cpu, but I am sure that even if you upgrade you RAM the CPU will still be a bottleneck with that GTX of yours. But hey, no worries man, there will always be a bottleneck, and if your GPU is not it, it is a good thing for most games ;-)

Happy gaming and thank you for sharing the benchmarks.
October 19, 2007 11:14:15 AM

SpeedyVV said:
Good stuff, I am happy that you got the 8800gtx going... man that was fast!!!

8fps min on WiC lol, isn't that amazing? Mind you maybe we can consider that a "feature" so that we can enjoy that nuke going off!!!

Hey, I am not sure which one is your bottleneck mem or cpu, but I am sure that even if you upgrade you RAM the CPU will still be a bottleneck with that GTX of yours. But hey, no worries man, there will always be a bottleneck, and if your GPU is not it, it is a good thing for most games ;-)

Happy gaming and thank you for sharing the benchmarks.

Oh not a problem! I'm happy to share what I get with people. :D 

Yeah, I think upgrading the RAM will help. Maybe if I OC the CPU a bit more. But IDK what voltages to run at. Maybe popping it to 3.0GHz would make a difference...it's pretty unclear. I knwo if I had a C2Quad Q6600 that this wouldn't be an issue. haha. Maybe I'll get a Q6600 and 1GB of DDR2 in the coming weeks...just for **** and giggles.
October 19, 2007 11:29:44 AM

Framerate is capped around 60-62 in UT, check my sig's (I think the first) links.

The ram and then the cpu being your culprits.. as I get 9707 with gts320.

If you get SupCom, can you run the /perf with everything on high @ 1280x1024. My last PC on low @ 1024 would get 8k~, new 16405 lol.
October 19, 2007 10:41:29 PM

Yeah, not to sure if it's the CPU or what. I don't really know how to diagnose it. Any clues or anything here? 8k seems rather low in 3DMark06, as well as the frame rates in WiC. I lowered the resolution to 1280x1024 and only got a 2 FPS difference. Hmmm...I don't think a dual core CPU should bottleneck it THAT much. I mean...yeah a bottleneck for sure, but that much, I don't know. What do you guys think?
October 19, 2007 11:17:52 PM

Upon browsing Google, i found that, indeed, it is my CPU. So now, here we go...the Intel and AMD battle. Oh dear God... I had enough trouble with just ATI NVIDIA. Oh well, i think I'm gonna go AMD, ASUS mobo, X2 6000+ and some CORSAIR XMS2 RAM. What do you all think?

EDIT: Nevermind...Going Intel. Noticed for about the same cost as a 6000+ I can get a 6550 C2D. muahahaha. Only $8 more over all. =)
!