Latest X-Fi driver for Vista crashing

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Just wanted to know if anyone has got it and if its crashing on you.
Its making my games crash with looping sounds,even got the blue screen of death saying "not_less equal something..."
I re-installed the older driver...

Just1MoreQ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Hi

i have been using the new driver for a while now since i heard it had been released - no problems to report yet but i have not used it with many games so far - just hoping for the best - im just glad they finally released an updated driver as i think the last update was may which is far too long between updates

halcyon

Splendid
I've been using the new driver as well with Lost Planet in Vista32. Are you overclocking at all? (Not that that should cause X-Fi errors, but it may be a consideration).

What are you system's specs (Chipset, Video, etc.)? ...may be relevant.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I'm using the Vista Premium and X-Fi Extreme Music sound. I downloaded the latest driver about 2 days ago and I played the games now like 2142, Counter Strike, Call of Duty 2, FEAR and Oblivion. It runs great and I don't have any problems with it.

In addition to the driver, I also downloaded and installed the Creative Console Launcher and Creative Alchemy (X-Fi Edition) and it works great as well.

xyhec

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
You should check the Creative forums. There are hundreds of people reporting BSODs, crackling and other annoyances, several people are also reporting memory leaks in ALchemy.

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I havn't really had a problem yet, but I have yet to use a game that ALchemy is optimized for (there are so few right now). I wish 5.1 would come back, I hate 2.1 as a comparison. O well, just an excuse to buy more games I guess :p
James

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I have. I get hard crashes, no mouse movement, absolutely nothing moves or shows signs of life. However, since adding some new vista updates i havent had the problem. I've noticed what when it did crash it happened when sound was being played from multiple sources. For instance when WMC and itunes were open and i resized a window it tended to crash.

One more thing that helped was disabling onboard sound in the bios, many of us couldnt even use our xfi's so we were forced to use onboard.

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Yes I am overclocking my system but the previous driver was working fine.
As a matter of fact I dont understand why alot of people are saying "finally an update"
For example....james_8970 said he wishes he could get 5.1 surround.That option has been available for quite sometime,the tricky part was trying to find the settings to enable them.
I have 2 main updates installed,and the Alchemy for certain games.
1 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Vista Driver SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_15_0002.....Main Driver
2 Creative Console Launcher 2.40.09 ..... blue/silver console that XP had with settings.
Mabey I should have used a driver cleaner 1st,I'll try it again later.