Stock heatsink + liquid cooling block = insane?

Mad4Power

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Having killed three NBs in my quest for liquid cooling, I'm a bit leery of f**king with the stock heat sink again. Since the stock heat sink sucks heat away from the chip, couldn't you just mount a liquid cooling block on top of the stock heat sink (either with some jury rigged mounting or just some good thermal glue)? Would that give you the benifit of liquid cooling without having to tamper with the stock heat sink, or am I just crazy?

-M4F

P.S. If anyone is curious, I learned that the NBs probably died either because Arctic Silver 5 itself is more conductive than the company would like you to believe, or because AS5 + FluidXP Ultra = conductive death.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Thing is all about surface area... if the NB is finned it's not going to get good contact. If it's a solid chunk of copper it might have good transfer but then you are going Chip>Grease>Copper>Grease>Block.

Just use some MX-2/Ceramique and be much more careful when replacing it. :p

Mad4Power

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
That Ceramique, is that the stuff Danger Den sells?
Is that also the stuff that's actually made by the same company that makes AS5?

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
It might help a little. Get a fan for the Northbridge if it is that hot. Also, it shouldn't really be getting all that hot to make it fail. Stay away from increasing the voltage to your chipset and work with the multipliers. I have an AMD so I have hypertransport to think about instead.

If you have good airflow in the case you shouldn't have a problem. Do you have 120mm in the back and a small intake fan in the front?