Sign in with
Your question

Open Box: MSI P6N SLI Platinum from NewEgg

Last response: in Motherboards
October 25, 2007 1:46:52 AM

Newegg has the:

Open Box: MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
at $69.99

I am based in the Philippines. If I order this I will be having this shipped to my friend who is coming here. This means I will not be able to check it for problems; and will be hoping to get a "good" open box. The same model retails here for double the price.

Do you guys think its worth it?
October 25, 2007 1:52:06 AM

Since it apparently doesn't come with any accessories (including I/O shield, USB port bracket, IEEE1394 port bracket, SLI bridge, SLI bracket, small cooling fan, data cables), I don't see the point of buying openbox unless you already have those other items.
a c 135 V Motherboard
October 25, 2007 6:01:59 AM

agreed^^^ , dont get OEM Motherboards, get Retail version
October 25, 2007 8:54:08 AM

Here is my one and only experience with an open box motherboard from Newegg, it is a Biostar and was sold to me for one third the price of retail. It came in the original box and all the accessories the come with the retail box I received. The only thing that was different was that it has RMA written on the box itself.

It works just fine.

Having said that, you are closer to Singapore than Honolulu, Newegg does not test anything upon return. If the board is bad you lost your money, there is no way you can get the board back in time to receive a refund.

For simple peace of mind I would get the board locally.

One trick to look for, is how do various venders handle returns on a specific board, if many places will only exchange for the same board, when they often will refund for it, to me that indicates that that model of board you are looking at may have problems.

It's a crap shoot, but here the odds are a bit in your favor.
!