Hard Drive Extremely slow

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Recently I started to notice that my Itunes kept cutting out and periodically freezing. So I restarted my computer and I got a bunch of different errors like NTLDR missing, could not find drive, and so on. It took me 8 times before it successfully booted. So I load back into windows everything running fine and I start BF2. It sais that my CD-key is invalid, WTF. I read somewhere that I am supposed to try and repatch it. So I go onto my storage drive, a 6 month old Samsung Spinpoint P 500GB, that has the patch on it along with music and all other important stuff. And I noticed that patch wasn't loading and the computer was periodically freezing. When the patch did finally come up I clicked install and everything on my computer was slow again with periodic freezing. So this got me wondering if my hard drive is acting up. So I ran HD tune. On my almost 5 yr old Raid 0 array it got 90MB. On my 6 month old Samsung it was getting 4MB consistantly. Ya 4MB!!!! What should I do? I don't know how I am gonna back it up when it barely works. The Samsung is also the boot disk even though windows is installed on the RAID 0 array, so that would explain the booting problems.

sturm

Splendid
Check in device manager and make sure the drive is working in UDMA 6 and not PIO mode. Even if its SATA it can be in PIO mode.
If its in pio mode change it to let bios select. Reboot and check device manager again. If the drive will not go into UDMA mode try changing the cable. If that doesn't fix it then I would back up as much as you can and change the drive out ASAP.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Today when I got home I hooked it off of the P965 chipsets Sata controller and plugged it into the JMicron or whatever Sata ports on the Mobo. Now it is getting full speed 85MB and average of 70MB. I guess some setting like the one you posted is messed up or the chipset is messed up. Thank god it wasn't the HD, that would of been the wierdest failures ever, usually they click and make sounds this one seemed normal. Also I now have a back up 45GB of my most important data on my 8yr old IBM DeathStar 46.1GB LOL.

TRENDING THREADS