Q6600 - CPU-Z reporting 6x 266MHz?

tuksonrider

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
CPU-Z is reporting my CPU at running at 1.6GHz (6 x 266MHz).

Core Temp and nTune are reporting that is running normal at 2.4GHz (9x 266MHz).

What's the deal?

CPU-Z
cpu_z.jpg

Core Temp
coretemp.jpg

nTune
ntune.jpg

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
It's Intel's Speed Step which throttles the pc down to 1.6ghz when not under load. Go ahead and open a game and look at cpuz and you will see that it throttles itself back to 2.4ghz

BIOS speed stepping enabled. Topic has been discussed many times. Try a search 'speed stepping'.

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
SpeedStep is disabled, as well as enhanced C1E. They should be disabled by default. thats how my q6600 runs at 2.4 all at the time disable them 2 and it will go 100%

G

Don't worry about it running at 1600. It's only doing that when it has nothing to do.

If you want to disable that in the bios then go ahead. Intel does not charge for the extra heat you'll be generating.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Why disable? If you have are having a stability problem with an overclock that is fixed by disabling it then fine but normally there is no need to disable.

His computer will return to the 9xmulti when it is under load. I'm running an e6600 at 3.2 with perfect stability with speed step enabled. I have measured the power savings at 10watts under normal desktop use. I don't know why people are always being advised to disable it.

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
no he was just asking and i was being nice to let him know about it. becasuse he was asking why. so i just told him is all. it's his choice if he wants it on or not. but i turned it off and now i leave speed step now. i think it works good. i mean i was just trying to help someone because i asked the same qestion before. and i was just letting him know what people told me is all. but i understand where you are coming from.

Brian

randomizer

Champion

Amen to that.

100% Speedstep, perfectly normal.

@No1sFanboy: It is recommended you disable it because it can cause problems, and it will meen another 10 posts per day here saying "I can't get above 2.6 on my E6600 HELP!!!" If after finding a stable point you are happy with you enable speedstep and it runs fine, good for you, you saved power and money. But to start off with, I'd disable it to rule out another variable in the web of overclocking options.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
In this case the OP isn't even overclocking but is being given advice to disable a power saving feature. If you read the thread up until my post there was not even any mention that the computer will return to normal speed when under load. The other one hundred people who will reference a thread like this while googling would come away thinking they need to disable speedstep for their computer to run full speed.

As far as overclocking goes I think people should question the common stance on this. An overclocked system has even more to gain by running with speedstep by having lower idle temps. I'm not sure about the AMD's and running with cool n quiet but most of what I've come across in the forums suggest the newer Intel procs overclock just fine with speedstep. Like I previously said, if disabling it fixes a stability problem then fine but the goal should be to at least try to run with it on.

I'm not driving a Prius or voting for the green party but I am trying to use a little less energy. Shut off lights, enable speedstep, a few more PSI in the tires. I'm using less energy this year and sacrificing nothing in convenience.
Looking ahead it seams that power saving features will be stepped up in CPU's and GPU's. I hope we are not advocating disabling these features simply because it is conventional wisdom.

randomizer

Champion
Wisdom says to leave it on of course. Disabling it is pointless unless it is causing problems (like CnQ did with my s754 3000, got stuck on the lower multi). I was simply stating (since you mentioned you're running at 3.2 with SS on) that when overclocking it is a good idea to turn it off initially to rule out a possible cause of instability, then to turn it on later to see if you can still run it overclocked. If you are not overclocking and not running into problems, there is NO reason for you to turn it off.