buffdaddy110

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2005
I'm building a new computer, and I was set on getting an 8800GTS 640 video card. However, with the upcoming release from AMD on the RV670 and NVIDIA with the G92 I don't know what to get. Are any of those releases supposed to be better than the GTS series, and are any of them still unable to best the 8800GTX. I f the GTX is still going to be top dog then I'll just build now and go with the 8800 GTX.

Nobody knows for sure.

The latest rumours (don't rely on this too much):
- the 8800 GTX will still be the best for the rest of this year at least.
- there may be a version of the 8800 GTS out there that will come close to the GTX in speed and use 65 nm technology. That would mean consuming less and generating less heat and less noise.

Wait a month if you can, see the prices and benchmarks of the new cards, then decide. The 8800 GTX at $500 is very good value IMO, but a month from now you may get an even better deal.

Go on ask a hard one :lol:
No seriously this is the big question at the min and as has been said rumor is rife at the moment to the point that i wont really beleive it until its reviewed properly or on the shelf.
The very first romours were that both companies were making an uber GTX/ULTRA slayer but no reliable info or specs were forthcoming,However the release of the next cards are meant to be mid nov and from what i have seen they wont be better in terms of raw performance(ONLY MY OPINION)i may be wrong but it seems that they were meant to fit below the gts cards to plug the gap that made lots of people turn to the old highend DX9 cards 1950Pro/7900 etc.This would make sence as systemlord says why take away from your own sales.
There is a lot of talk about the new cards using 65nm tec but running higher clocks, kind of puts me in mind of the 7600 cards they kept up with cards that should have been better on paper ie more pipelines etc but the speed of the clocks made up for it.If Nvidea/ATI can repeat the trick then the next gen could be very good indead.
Mactronix