After hours of research, this is what I came up with!

IHT

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Hello everyone!

I'm planning a computer for 3D creation, video editing and photoshopping . Gaming is something like 20% of usage.

Before I introduce my choice of components, I want to point out I'm insecure regarding these components:

A. Memory
B. PSU
C. Graphic card

So, after hours of research, this is what I came up with:

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
core2quad2.JPG

My thoughts:
This one was the easiest thing to choose of all the components. Unbelievable price/performance ratio. However, I must say I've been looking at those new Intel 45 nm CPUs! They seem to be efficient and less hungry for power, but, are they worth the wait? Anyway, the Q6600 is looking good!

CPU COOLER & FAN:
Thermalright Ultima-90 with Nexus 92mm DF1209SL-3 fan
a_thermalright_ultima_90_lg_pic.jpg

My thoughts:
I like this CPU cooler because it's light and seems to be quite nice. Not the best but good enough to cool my CPU and the fans should run quietly. I am not sure if I'll do some overclocking...

MOTHERBOARD:
ASUS P5K-E/WiFi-AP
2007_05_25_03.jpg

My thoughts:
OK, this component was slightly difficult because it's such an important component. I chose this one because it has the Intel P35 chipset. In addition, it has Firewire and eSATA ports that are important for me (I really like the concept of eSATA). This motherboard should also be able to regulate the power usage and it can also go to a "sleep" mode but still continue working.

This one seems good but I am still open for ideas!

MEMORY:
G.Skill 2GB Dual Kit DDR2-800 F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK 4-4-3-5
Jimms_F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK.FFFFFF.200x200.jpg

My thoughts:
The advice I got is that look for memory with low latency and high speed. Memory can be expensive and so I came up with this one. What do others think?

Regarding this component, I'm really interested to hear opinions!

I also heard to choose memory that has the same bus speed as the CPU. If that's true, I was thinking of:

A-DATA 2GT DDR2 1066+MHz (PC-8500), Extreme Edition Dual-kit (Timing: 5-5-5-15, Voltage: 2.2V ± 0.1V)
Jimms_2X1GDDR21066+A-DATA.FFFFFF.200x200.jpg

GRAPHIC CARD:
Sapphire X1950 PRO
Jimms_11095-00-50R.FFFFFF.200x200.jpg

My thoughts:
First of all, I've been really thinking if I should buy a FireGL/Quadro graphic card instead of a consumer graphic card. If I were to buy a pro graphic card, I would probably go for NVIDIA Quadro FX 560 128Mb. That's the max price I can go for. So, here's another component I'm a bit insecure of. Anyone?

Oh, one last thing! Now there's Sapphire X1950 PRO with DDR3 memory, any good?

PSU:

Seasonic 430W, S12-ll430W
Jimms_S12-LL430.FFFFFF.200x200.jpg

My thoughts:
First of all, is 430 W enough? I've seen posts where people go completely crazy with power of PSUs. As if more Watt is more horsepower. I tried some calculators and I got between 410-500 Watt. I feel confident regarding the brand and the model, however, should I go for a PSU with slightly more watts? If so, I was thinking of:

Corsair 520W 520HX ATX2.2
Jimms_CMPSU-520HXEU.FFFFFF.200x200.jpg

CHASSIS:
Antec P182
Jimms_761345-09182-4.FFFFFF.200x200.jpg

My thoughts:
Seems to be a good chassis. Looks good, but, I think the only bad thing about this one is that it's a bit big. Not sure, haven't seen it yet. However, this one should be a good chassis.

HARD DRIVES:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS (750 Gb, 7200 RPM, SATA II)
Seagate DiamondMax 21 (320 Gn, 7200 RPM, SATA II) STM3320820AS

My thoughts:
According to Tom's Hardware, these should be good price/performance hard drives. The smaller one is for softwares and the bigger one for files I'm working at.

So, this what I came up with! I am really interested to hear what you guys think? ;) Remember, that I'm especially insecure regarding the memory, PSU and the graphic card.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

-IHT

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You will only need DDR2 800.

The HX520 is a decent PSU, it is a single rail even though they say it is multi rail, which is a good thing. I'm not a fan of the modular cables. I don't know what pricing you have on the HX520 or if you are in the US But the Silencer® 610 EPS12V Power Supply is a nice PSU with a good factory direct price. Here is Neweggs price for comparison. It is a little larger than you absolutely need but it's nice to have a little headroom. Check this link Power Supply Myths Exposed!

Edit: Removed misinformation.

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
my thoughts:

good choices,

I would go with the A-DATA for RAM to match your FSB (timings might be high but faster cycles will make up for it)

everything else looks good... on the PSU I would bump it up a notch just for a little future proofing, 500Ws now a days is barley cutting it (for high end machines) yours should be fine if you do decide to get the seasonic

IHT

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys!

About the memory, it seems the 800 MHz is sufficient, according to Tom's Hardware.

"...in the majority of benchmarks, hardcore memory speeds aren't faster than good old DDR2-800 at decent timings." -Tom's Hardware (Patrick Schmid, Achim Roos)

So, it seems I'll be able to save a few bucks regarding memory. :sol:

Special thanks to Zorg regarding your advice of PSUs. I live outside US, so, that brand might be out of reach for me. Anyway, according to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 (I've read it's a reliable one) my computer could make use of a PSU with at least 500 Watts. So, I'll probably change my PSU for an another. Probably a Seasonic.

Thanks again!

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

I occasionally question the accuracy of the Lite version.
No, I retract my statement. I often question it.

You should be fine with a good brand with under 500W. I personally think that a good 400W could probably run that system, but for safety's sake, I'd go with the Corsair 550HX or the Silencer as mentioned above.

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
yes the corsaire 520hx would be a good psu for you, the amout of power you loose to modular cables is small and wouldn't make a difference in your pc anyway, and ddr2 800 ram is perfectly fine for your build, becasue the ram speed x2 is the system bus speed, as for the graphics cards, the x1950pro is a good card, and if you can get the ddr3 version (for a similar price) it is even better

horsepower288

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

IHT

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
According to an article by Hardwaresecrets.com, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/410, most PSU reviews are unreliable. They mention, however, that http://www.silentpcreview.com is one place where they have reliable PSU reviews. This site I just mentioned, has a list of recommended PSUs, http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html and I feel comfortable trusting their recommendations.

Regarding this eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5, in the Silent PC Review-forum they have had also doubts regarding these calculators until I saw a post regarding the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator.

"I'm not a big fan of these calculators, in general, but this one surprised me.

I was prepared to write a "This Calculator Sucks Just Like All the Other Ones" post, and to prove my point I went to the site and built two configurations, one low power, and one high power that I have actual power draw figures for. I was planning on using it's over-inflated recommendations as evidence for how useless it was....

Only problem was, it nailed the max system wattage almost exactly."
-Rusty075, SPCR Reviewer

For me, this was enough. :)

Regarding my results of how much Watts my computer needs. At first, I got a result of 318 W. I got this number when I answered the questions as well as I could. I did a new calculation but this time I thought, what if I wanted to update my graphic card? add more hard drives etc? In addition, I also chose to use the "Capacitor Aging" (Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 10-20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 20-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years. -eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5) and I put 30%. My new result was 498 W. So, basically 500 W is the absolute MAX what I need (btw, I chose one time ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT graphic card and I got 622 W, but I don't want this graphic card).

Basically, I could manage just fine with the Seasonic 430 W but I might go for the Corsair 520W in case I know I'll want to add more hard drives or add a graphic card that is more hungry for energy.

All right, I hope this helped clarify the way I've been thinking and my decision making. I love to hear more what you guys think! Thanks for your replies so far!