Sparkies stalker

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Hello peoples!
Just bought myself a good pc from ebuyer. Going all smoothly untill evrything is plugged in ready to go and the worst thing happened! No signal was being recieved by my montier?
Right i uplugged everything and started from scratch and started again same problem.

In more precise words i bought the following :

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY

1 x ABIT IB9 iP965 Socket 775 DDR2 PCI-E 7.1 channel audio ATX

1 x Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM

1 x XFX 8800GTS 320MB DDR3 Dual DVI TVO PCI-E Graphics Card

1 x Scythe Black Kama Panel Multimedia Fan Controller/Card Reader 5.25" Bay

For a start the motherboard does not have a speaker for fault finding, i start the computer and it turns on and cuts out it then turns itself back on with all the fans and nothing is displayed :(
Next i took the g/c to my dads pc and it works to problem and yes he has the same moniter? Hmmmmmm......
I know go back home plug it back in and nothing still. i i unplgged everything back to basics cpu/mono/g,c and still nothing.

I think its the motherboard but i am not sure can anyone help cause i am thinking of returning the board and if it aint faulty i have to pay for it to come back. :eek:

This is not quite a "dead new build" problem. Your first problem is that you do not have a speaker attached to the motherboard, so you do not know if the computer is trying to do the POST (POwerup Self Test). When you list your components, you also need to specify what kind of PSU (Power Supply Unit) you have. Modern PC's generally do not work well with bargain bin power supplies. And your problem may be the power supply.

After I replied to the second "dead PC" thread, I wrote and saved the following reply. It is kind of long and technical, but it may help. Work your way through the procedure, keeping in mind what you know. For example, you know that the video card is good - tested in another system. You know the the ON switch in the case is good - the PC tries to run. You do not know if the PSU is good.

Reply follows:

I see quite a few "new build failure" threads here. The following is one of my replies that I have cleaned up, expanded, and saved. This assumes that the new build is completely dead. Even if not, the same principles still apply.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Assuming the speaker is properly connected to the motherboard, no beep means the POST did not run. A bad video card or bad memory would still generate a beep pattern indicating video or memory problems.

(You should become familiar with the POST codes. Your motherboard manual may list them. If not,
google something like "<motherboard brand> or <BIOS brand> post codes".)

Turn off the computer with the switch on the back of the PSU or unplug it. Wait a few minutes. While you are waiting, double check all the cable connections. Make sure that the case switches and LED's are connected correctly. Pay close attention to the main power connector to the motherboard. If the computer is completely dead, the case power switch may be bad. Swap it with the reset switch. Turn on the computer. If it still doesn't work, you have to resort to serious trouble-shooting.

If so, six possibilities:

1. The motherboard is improperly installed in the case, shorting something out. This happens surprisingly often.

2. Bad or inadequate PSU. A working PSU will send a control signal call "PSGood" to the motherboard. The motherboard needs this signal before the CPU can start the boot process. A problem with any output should kill the PSGood signal. PC's with modern components NEED a good PSU. The forums here contain guides on how to select (by brand and capacity) a good PSU. And even a reputable PSU may be DOA.

3. A bad drive or video card affecting the PSU.

4. Bad memory.

5. Bad CPU.

6. Bad motherboard.

CAUTION - you need to turn off the computer each time you install or remove anything. I know this sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised ...

Disassemble everything. Breadboard (assemble the components outside the case on an insulated surface) only the PSU, motherboard and speaker, and CPU and HSF. If the problem was in the CPU socketing (rare, but happens), reinstalling the CPU should solve it. Now you need a way to turn on the computer. I use wiring, switches, a speaker, and LED's scavenged from an old case.

Turn on the computer. If the fans start spinning, you have a good 12 volt output. Look for any motherboard LED's. If you hear beeps, the computer at least started POSTing and the PSU, motherboard, and CPU are probably good. No beeps means that at least one of the three are bad. At that point, all you can do is test the parts by substitution. I say "probably good" here because an inadequate PSU could pass this test and fail later when it's more heavily loaded.

If you heard beeps, that should indicate that the POST detected memory or video problems (no surprise, there's no memory or video card installed). Install the video card and plug in the monitor. Turn on the computer. No beeps now means that the video card is shorting out the PSU. Otherwise, at this point you should see something on the monitor if the video card is good.

Beeps now should indicate memory problems. Install the memory. No beeps probably means that you have a shorted memory chip. Dual channel motherboards can operate with only a single memory module installed. Install each one separately and test. Sometimes motherboards do not properly set the memory operating voltage. That is a more complex problem than the simple "It won't start" problem. ("Simple" is not the same as "easy".)

Now, you should see a "missing keyboard" error. Turn off the PSU and plug in a keyboard.

Turn on computer. Try to enter the BIOS to set date and time and verify the amount of memory present. If you can do this, it means that all the expensive parts are probably good.

Start plugging in the rest of the components and test. No beep, and you have found the problem.

If everything works, it probably means that something was improperly installed in the case. Reassemble in the case and test. If you are lucky, everything works.

I always breadboard a new build. I pretty much reserve the fourth port of my KVM switch for system testing.