rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

A friend of mine has windows xp.. and her computer keeps shutting off...
every 2 days or so.. maybe every 6 hours, no error is displayed, she does
have error reporting enabled, so I
suggested she can go to error reporting to view the error so we have some
place to start...How do we then view the errors? I'm not that familiar with
event logs, and or errors, any help appreciated.. thanks Rainy

Go to Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools and select the Event
Viewer. There's 3 sets of logs there, you'll have to check them all. The
errors are highlighted by a little icon on the left - those are the one's to
concentrate on.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:32:29 GMT, Rainy wrote:

> A friend of mine has windows xp.. and her computer keeps shutting off...
> every 2 days or so.. maybe every 6 hours, no error is displayed, she does
> have error reporting enabled, so I
> suggested she can go to error reporting to view the error so we have some
> place to start...How do we then view the errors? I'm not that familiar with
> event logs, and or errors, any help appreciated.. thanks Rainy

In addition to what usasma has posted, you can double click on any event
listed in Event Viewer. A screen will appear with more details about the
event. Possible a more complete error message that can be used as a
reference to research the problem.

Also, there is often a link at the end of the info screen. Clicking that
while online, you get a prompt about sending the error info over the
internet. Say yes. The browser will appear shortly after that and if there
is further information, and possibly suggestions for resolving the error,
it will appear here.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

thanks Sharon, I have passed this on to her... hopefully we can resolve
this. she is using a older computer a tech built for me, I had another built
and gave my friend the one I was not using.. hate to see her getting all
this junk on it.. :) thanks again.. Rainy

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:20:23 GMT, Rainy wrote:

> thanks Sharon, I have passed this on to her... hopefully we can resolve
> this. she is using a older computer a tech built for me, I had another built
> and gave my friend the one I was not using.. hate to see her getting all
> this junk on it.. :) thanks again.. Rainy

You're welcome and hope your friend has good luck with this.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Hi sharon.. I'm still trying to help my friend resolve this issue... she
said she went into error report and sent me a screenshot of what the error
said, but I never received it.. she said that it is a driver error.. the
error also says that it does not know which driver and when she clicked on
the link, it said they didn't know how to fix it..:( .. Is there a way to
find out which driver it is? Perhaps in device manager? thanks for any
response.. Rainy

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:40:35 GMT, Rainy wrote:

> thanks so much, I just forwarded all this information to her... keeping
> fingers crossed! thanks Rainy

You're very welcome, Rainy!

--
Sharon F