Mac vs PC (w/ Win 7)

Mac or PC

• Total voters

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Now I know that this most likely will either mean no one will post, or it will start a blood feud :lol:. And I might be talking to a biased crowd as I posted it in the Windows 7 section. But I have had a recent epiphany. I have always preferred Windows over Mac, and would defend Windows until my dieing breath (Windows Cult if you will). Now my thoughts are:

Mac:
You are paying 'Apple Tax'. From what I've read, Mac's used to have the upper hand in both hardware and software until a few years ago. Now they are using the same cheap Chinese hardware that resides in PC's. And as Windows 7 has evened the odds in OS field its turned into an opinion.

Macs you are still paying Apple Tax, but get a nice exterior and a little more bundled software (Same cheap Chinese hardware).

PC:
Until Windows 7, Mac OS X has been the better OS. Bundled with more features, more stable, and ran better. But Windows 7 fixed the majority if not all of those issues to the point where its equal. You also get more Performance per $$. I can spend 1500$ and beat out any iMac. I can spend ~2500$ and beat any Mac Pro Tower (Which go up past 7500$ with features and tax). The latter I haven't totally confirmed, most of its ballpark... Either way, your going to spend the same amount of up time, as a Mac (Right around, depending on how the Chinese built your hardware :lol: ).

So your paying a lot less money for better performance (In any respect), but most PC's don't have the nice exterior and besides the Windows Live suite, not much in the way of bundled software.
-----------------------------------------------
So whats it going to be: Mac or PC? Any more thoughts would be welcome, just make sure it doesn't get too violent. :)

Mac - if u don't or can't upgrade your computer parts. Almost always looks good.

PC - If u do upgrade frequently or not. U can always get that faster CPU without buying the whole thing again.

Both will do exactly same things like the other.

And everything else is subjective to each buyer.

Now the fight will start.

The only thing left for apple is their os, which many people think is good (I don't agree, I never get my work done efficiently using mac os). Their hardware is superior in quality or performance or after sales service to other company is a myth, or at least it is true for those people haven't build their own with quality part or choose a cheap company for their window/linux pc. If ASUS is allowed by apple to build a full computer with fully compatible hardware for osx and have dsdt on mobo ready for osx install and sell it in the usual ASUS price, I am sure many people who who prefer osx will start using "normal" hardware, unless they are apple fanatic (this also could mean the exit of apple from desktop/laptop market).

I love to see how osx and apple hardware do in business if they compete in the free to chose between os and hardware market like linux and window.

christop

Distinguished
I prefer a pc over a mac. A pc has way more hardware choices and is huge part of why I like it better. I can run osx any flavor of Linux and win7 and the pc didn't cost 2500 bucks. My comparison is mainly referring to desktop verses a powermac.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
If you're talking desktops, then you can do a lot better building your own vs. buying a Mac.

If you're talking all-in-ones, the iMacs are pretty nice hardware, but the are darned expensive.

If you're talking laptops, it is hit or miss. Apple makes some real nice laptops, much better than the average PC laptop. However there are a lot of manufacturers that make nicer laptops for business use and they are the equivalent of the hardware that Apple uses. The hit or miss part is that sometimes the business class PC laptop is cheaper than the equivalent Mac, sometimes it isn't. So sometimes you can buy a Mac laptop for the same price as the equivalent PC laptop, therefore no Apple tax.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
If you're talking laptops, it is hit or miss. Apple makes some real nice laptops, much better than the average PC laptop. However there are a lot of manufacturers that make nicer laptops for business use and they are the equivalent of the hardware that Apple uses. The hit or miss part is that sometimes the business class PC laptop is cheaper than the equivalent Mac, sometimes it isn't. So sometimes you can buy a Mac laptop for the same price as the equivalent PC laptop, therefore no Apple tax.

Take a look at Asus N and G series. Tears any MacBook in half in terms of value for money. Here are the MPBs: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTM3NjU5MzU

Here are the Asus to kick their a$$e$: N53SV-XV1, N73SV-A3 and, finally, G74SX-A1. If you buy an MBP after that, you're either a hardcore Apple fan and as such are beyond help, or you just can't see value in things.

If you're talking all-in-ones, the iMacs are pretty nice hardware, but the are darned expensive.

... which turns them useless. IMO, AIOs are junk: they aren't as upgradable as a desktop and aren't portable as a laptop, which puts them somewhere in a useless middle. Okay, want all-in-one? Go with MSI or Asus...

"IMO, AIOs are junk: they aren't as upgradable as a desktop and aren't portable as a laptop, which puts them somewhere in a useless middle."

Hey, AIO are for people like my wife. And there is 100 000 000 people like this. Yes it is made for them. She absolutely don't care, that iPad cannot do and don't have things that I think are essential for people like me.

Or if u can upgrade parts. When she wants an upgrade, I'll just have to sell the old one and get another one. And about the OS? She would not care if it would be running linux for that matter...

She don't care if she can plug in USB anything or don't have a flash support. She got it from day one, never had a problem with it and do 99% of her stuff with it. If I would be in college now, I would probably like to own one.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

The point is that she could've gotten the same experience from a desktop for much less. And if you'd rather go will AIO as a college student, all I can say is ROFLMAO!