only one memtest error after 9 hours

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I have 2x1gb dual channel corsair twin2x2048-6400C4 ram and I ran memtest 1.70+ for almost 9 hours and 16 passes and I got just one error (I had both sticks plugged in so I'm not sure which stick).

This is the FOURTH pair I've had rma'd from corsair, the others wouldn't even boot, or had more memtest errors, or only one stick worked, etc. I'm ridiculously tired of shipping ram back and forth, and I'm wondering if I can just ignore the fact that memtest got an error, and use the ram anyway?

This is the first pair that both sticks actually worked, and I can boot into XP and gutsy gibbon just fine.

Cliffs: Is one memtest error anything to worry about?

Thank you.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Well, 1 error is alot. Normally you can go days and days and never see any. I would suspect a Mobo issue or something.

Have you tried increasing RAM Voltage?

chevellerocks

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
1 Error is something to be worried about.. check your bios settings on your ram and make sure there is nothing strange going on there.. then try each stick separately and find out which one it is.. if that doesn't fix it.. let us know.

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Actually this is the third motherboard replacement I've had shipped (gigabyte ds3), so I've had bad luck with both ram and motherboard, and it's taking me months (due to shipping back and forth) just to build this thing.

I have my ram at +0.3v which I believe sets it to 2.1v total which is what the ram is listed as needing. Are you saying I should overvolt my ram and see if that helps?

I will try each stick separately but I think I need to ship them back as a pair anyway, if one is damaged. Or do you mean I should try running both sticks in single-channel mode?

I will check my bios settings and do some more memtesting. Thanks so far guys!

cbxbiker61

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
No errors are good errors. It means you have a problem.

If you've been through motherboards and ram I'd be concerned with the power supply and CPU. Have you ran the ram with BIOS default settings? If not, try it.

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I tried with default settings and still found errors, so I ended up RMA'ing the pair. I'll find out in a few weeks if I finally get a good pair.

Thanks for your help guys, I almost overlooked it and stuck with some bad ram.

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
those cl4s are probably overclocked internally therefore require the 2.1V. they probably run a lot hotter than most cl5s, so best add a fan to it