Sign in with
Your question

AMD Spider

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2007 10:37:00 AM

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/06/...

looks good fanbois !!

Leaves NVidia in the cold if the system approach takes off ... particularly with Intel probably looking at the same thing.

:) 

More about : amd spider

October 7, 2007 10:44:00 AM

yes indeed immmmmm ooooooooo rrrrrrrrrrrr
October 7, 2007 11:58:53 AM

finally AMD are going to go and release the damm chip, (and without any "REAL" bench marks or 3rd party Scoring.

and Nvidia will do fine, thier 8800 series have a unmatched reputation. still think a bunch of fanboys will buy this then find them selves out done again with intels penryn
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2007 2:36:55 PM

A real fanboi comment there dobby?

With AMD having the chipset, cpu and gpu ... all in the performance space - even Intel don't have that unless they ship their systems with NVidia graphics.

Albeit AMD don't have the fastest cpu or gpu ... but combined and optimised with their own chipset ... I'd say the future for AMD for gaming is stellar.

Maybe this is why Nvidia is so nervous?

Maybe this is why Intel stocked up on graphics gurus and bought Havoc? Intel's graphics may be the biggest volume shipping but their stuff is bottom of the barrel ... at the moment ... watch that space eh?

Whist Torrenza et al might be a while away yet I'd bet they are both looking at this as an interim measure ...

October 7, 2007 2:45:29 PM

Ok, it looks nice in the pictures, but I've seen a lot of machines do that. It sounds nice in concept, but, show me some benches!!! And it has a planned release in Q4. 07, but AMD/ATI has had too many product delays.

That said, where is my credit card? Gotta start saving now so I can replace this old 939 machine.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2007 3:38:02 PM

Sailer I'm in the 939 and 940 space too.

Buying performance stuff under 939 really hurt me when they disconnected at FX60.

Hopefully the 940 AM2 rigs I have might fare better.

I bought big just before Core2 ... probably like many.

Intel's stuff has so much headroom ... great for overclockers.

Lets hope AMD can pull all of the various bits together and produce a synergistic outcome ... of sorts.

October 7, 2007 3:46:13 PM

If it is cheaper i will buy it....
October 7, 2007 4:03:25 PM

Reynod said:
A real fanboi comment there dobby?

With AMD having the chipset, cpu and gpu ... all in the performance space - even Intel don't have that unless they ship their systems with NVidia graphics.

Albeit AMD don't have the fastest cpu or gpu ... but combined and optimised with their own chipset ... I'd say the future for AMD for gaming is stellar.

Maybe this is why Nvidia is so nervous?

Maybe this is why Intel stocked up on graphics gurus and bought Havok*? Intel's graphics may be the biggest volume shipping but their stuff is bottom of the barrel ... at the moment ... watch that space eh?

Whist Torrenza et al might be a while away yet I'd bet they are both looking at this as an interim measure ...

Quote:
Santa Clara (CA) - Nvidia reported "one of its best quarters" in the firm's history. Revenues surged 41% year-over-year to $820.6 million in the company's fiscal Q3 2007, ended October 29. Net income increased 63% in the same time frame, from $65.2 million to $106.5 million. The result was also a substantially improvement sequentially: For fiscal Q2 of this year, Nvidia reported revenues of $687.5 million and profits of $86.8 million.

Revenue for the nine months of the current fiscal year was $2.19 billion, compared to revenue of $1.74 billion for the nine months ended October 30, 2005. Nvidia said that a review of its stock option practices, which began in June of this year, has been completed and is now "working (...) to finalize the financial impact of using incorrect measurement dates." Nvidia confirmed that there were "instances of the use of incorrect measurement dates for certain option grants" in the time frame between 1999 and 2006, which potentially could impact the numbers in the current Q3 statement.

Nvidia said that it will publish restated balance sheets as soon as available and mentioned that the stock option practices under review could lead to "potential claims and proceedings relating to such matters, including litigation or action by the Securities and Exchange Commission and/or other regulatory agencies."

Nvidia recently announced a new graphics card generation, the Geforce 8800 series as well as a new chipset, the Nforce 680 series.
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/29670/118/

They sound terrified.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2007 4:17:17 PM

They are ... you just don't read the right articles.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

They don't have a FAB, they can't produce enough and have upset their partners ... and the high volume end of the market is small.

The middle and bottom end they are now getting creamed.

The new 55nm ATI cards shortly due out will take the perfomance crown from them.

How's their partnetship going with Intel ... you connect the dots.
October 7, 2007 4:32:45 PM

@ Heyyou27, I'm also pretty sure nVidia have plenty of sleepless nights atm. Just because it OWNS high performance cards (like 5% of market) on consumers PCs, the future isnt so bright. Both Intel and AMD have more muscles than nVidia and its only a matter of time till they will catch up or just push it to the niche market.

Who cares if nvidia would still have 5% of highest performing cards in lets say 10 years (doubtfully, but lets agree on this for argument sake), if Intel and AMD will have 95% of the rest market? AMD _already_ have the best proffesional offerings based on R600 core atm, and is gaining strongly on low/medium markets. R670 doesnt look weak either, even if it will be slightly slower than new nvidia core (it may end up faster, who knows), its only a matter of time till AMD catches up IMO.

Intel on its own very agressively pushing descreet cards project, and while IMO it make take 3+ years to gain serious inroads there, it has more engineering power than nvidia with AMD combined.

So if nvidia isnt scared and franticaly preparing sound future plans, it will be caught pants down like AMD was with C2D, or 3dfx for that matter.
October 7, 2007 4:40:17 PM

The Inquirer is full of it yet again. First of all, why would AMD release this "spider" exclusively to the non-reputable Inquirer? They show nothing in any of their pics that even hint at identifying the hardware that they claim it is. The article goes into much more detail about the dumb sapphire motherboard, and avoids the processor and video cards completely.

I get sick of the Inquirer trying to get attention. They do it so poorly.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2007 5:02:50 PM

Your comment would be valid except for a few points ... the Inq crew are normally spot on ... er um ... well ... close too it, and they break news on anything related in this area before anyone else.

Plus they don't do NDA's and they have a good sense of humour.

It's a tabloid site with some fresh humour.

No I don't work for Mike and Charlie and Theo ....

I do like Red ... so I post here and there.
October 7, 2007 5:11:45 PM

You're crazy if you think AMD is in some sort of perfect position to control the market; they've been getting pounded by Intel for the last year and haven't been able to turn a profit. Pair that with ATI getting beat by Nvidia in all of their respective markets, and I still fail to see where they should be afraid.
October 7, 2007 5:17:37 PM

Point in case...NVIDIA and Intel aren't afraid...and have no reason to be until AMD turns up a better product...
October 7, 2007 5:20:04 PM

Can anyone tell me the Windows score in that pic. I cant seem to make it out. Thanks
October 7, 2007 5:39:29 PM

Looks like 1.0 to me. MAybe they didn't install the Vid Card drivers... Or they did, but never updated the score, as it is B/W.
October 7, 2007 5:47:33 PM

Generic drivers should at least pull more than 1.0 though right? Or are they just trying to down play the performance of the box on purpose?
October 7, 2007 7:16:46 PM

thematrixhazuneo said:
http://images.vnu.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/06/working-rv670-phenom-system/wcg_rv670test_cpu02.jpg

Can anyone tell me the Windows score in that pic. I cant seem to make it out. Thanks

I enlarged it as best I could and it seems to read "7.0 Windows Experimental" with the words "Engineering Sample" below that. It could be a model number, meaning something like the cpu in question was the 7th model that they tested. Don't know for sure, just guessing. If it is a 1.0 and its referring to a Windows score, then its either very bad or some drivers are missing.

I do note that the Inq said they couldn't run any benchmarks on the cpu and that there was apparent trouble in the network drives as they could not load Windows Explorer when the network drives were attached. I'm guessing that this demonstration was more to show that they had a working system then to show off a completed system ready to hit the market. Like I said before, the concept is nice, but I need to see a complete system with some benches before I get too excited.
October 7, 2007 7:19:08 PM

Default drivers on my 8800gts pulled a 1.0 ... i doubt they'll work any better for anything else.
October 7, 2007 7:28:53 PM

Well it's clear it's an AMD ES. But uh...anything beyond that we can not be certain of.
October 7, 2007 8:02:11 PM

I thought the perfect Vista experience rating was 5.9.
October 7, 2007 8:39:02 PM

I think you're correct, which is why I though that if the number was a 7, it must refer to the cpu revision number or something. With the screen being incomplete and fuzzy, I can't be sure what the number refers to, which is why Im left to guesses only.
October 7, 2007 10:52:56 PM

Not sure where I had heard it but, didnt microsoft say that they will release higher numbers when hardware demands it. Could this be the updated score with the phenom? assuming its 7.0, but if its 1.0 then n/m..
October 7, 2007 11:30:38 PM

It defaults to 1.0 when you don't run it.
October 8, 2007 1:07:33 PM

badger101101 said:
The Inquirer is full of it yet again. First of all, why would AMD release this "spider" exclusively to the non-reputable Inquirer? They show nothing in any of their pics that even hint at identifying the hardware that they claim it is. The article goes into much more detail about the dumb sapphire motherboard, and avoids the processor and video cards completely.

They didn't release it to the Inq, the Inq was at the WCG in Seattle and supposedly that was the machine Sapphire setup for the finals. Since the HT was 2.6GHz, that was I believe a 2.4GHz Agena (if I remember the HT vs.clock).
October 8, 2007 1:55:04 PM

Agena is interesting...as is this article.

It whets the appetite for speculation however, no real world performance can be gleaned from it, so it is little more than eye candy.
October 8, 2007 6:19:26 PM

This seems like... deja vu.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2007 7:25:32 PM

nVidia has nothing to worry about. If it wasn't for nVidia's chipset the Skt 939 would not have been as popular or as widely accepted as it was. The only reason you buy a mobo with an AMD chipset is because you want to run Crossfire. As far as I can tell, nVidia still makes the better chipset with more features for the AMD platform. At least it seems as though AMD has learned something from the ATI buy-out.

PS and off topic - Anyone who believes the "Vista Experience" rating system to be valid measure of a system's capabilities deserves to be stripped of their hardware, never be allowed to build their own machines ever, and be forced to by nothing but Dells for the rest of their lives.[/rant]
October 10, 2007 1:26:21 PM

Dude!...You've got a dud!....errr...Dell.
October 11, 2007 12:24:45 AM

badger101101 said:

how true!

looks pretty basic for a "show system"?
October 11, 2007 1:31:07 AM

Reynod said:
They are ... you just don't read the right articles.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

They don't have a FAB, they can't produce enough and have upset their partners ... and the high volume end of the market is small.

The middle and bottom end they are now getting creamed.

The new 55nm ATI cards shortly due out will take the perfomance crown from them.

How's their partnetship going with Intel ... you connect the dots.

Im goin to have to go with Heyyou on this one regardless of what the fud says. I trust numbers. nVidia is not worried!

AMD - http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/stock_quote?Symbol=A... - 14.02

nVidia - http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/stock_quote?Symbol=N... - 36.91

Just my two cents!

Best,

3Ball
October 11, 2007 5:50:45 PM

Nvidia may not be....but the stockholders seem to.
October 28, 2007 12:44:21 AM

wow.
hey guys, Ohh my Gawd ! I can't believe it ! hey I'm gonna get the AMD Spider this Monday !
I found this wholesaler/dealer and he said as soon as he verify's my VISA he's gonna get it for me -so easy peasy he just said don't worry you'll get the "AMD Spider On The Web"
get it, how easy is that.
I sure hope I get my money's worth.

anyway, I let you know definitely... if I ever find my AMD "Spider on the Web".

D-orK(s).
October 28, 2007 1:04:57 AM

Rik said:
wow.
hey guys, Ohh my Gawd ! I can't believe it ! hey I'm gonna get the AMD Spider this Monday !
I found this wholesaler/dealer and he said as soon as he verify's my VISA he's gonna get it for me -so easy peasy he just said don't worry you'll get the "AMD Spider On The Web"
get it, how easy is that.
I sure hope I get my money's worth.

anyway, I let you know definitely... if I ever find my AMD "Spider on the Web".

D-orK(s).

Sweet! Where you ordering yours from? I'm eager to give my credit card number out too!
!