Sign in with
Your question

Radeon X1950 XTX , heating up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 18, 2007 10:11:00 PM

Hi all
maybe someone can help me. I am have a problem with the temperature of my ATI Radeon X1950 XTX, At the moment its displaying 93deg C and practically nothing is running on my PC. Its stored under my desk but is sufficient ventilation and none of the airways are blocked. I recently opend the box to hoover out any dust. If I try to run any sort of game I get a warning message on the ATI Catalyst Control Center telling me something like that "the tempertatute is too high and it needs to reduce the cycle" (not sure exactly) anybody any ideas whats wrong. Even if I start using some graphics package, its rises to 105 deg C

My systems specs
Processors: Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2.4GHz
Memory: PC5300 DDR II, 4 x 1GB
Motherboard: ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2
Screen: DELL 30inch, display running 2600 x 1600

Any ideas

Thanks in Advance to all
John
October 19, 2007 12:28:36 PM

Ok, try it with the left side open on an open desk/table. If you can play games that way, then your video is overheating.

What's your case & cooling?
October 19, 2007 1:01:51 PM

yah n00bs cant give u good advise.

your vid card has a couple things i am guessing it is close to mine,
1)i have the agp 1950 pro. you can get ati tool or ati tray tools and you can CONTROL the fan speeds MANUALLY. i set it up so that the fan is blowing at 100% all of the time. you can also change the fan speed based on temps
2)i had fans blowing hot air out of my case, but no fans blowing air into the case at first. this caused my graphics card to be hooot! you need PRESSURE inside the case so that the GPU fan can actually suck air in and then blow it down the heatsink of the card!!! i put my fan on the side of the case, turned it around, and now it sucks air from the outside of the case and blows it directly on the gpu and inside the case. now my temps have dropped considerably. for everything inside the PC.

try that, if you still have insanely high temps, you have something wrong, and you should RMA your card (yah it sucks) or get that aftermarket cooler you are talking about.

hope that helps

irishjohn said:
Hi all
maybe someone can help me. I am have a problem with the temperature of my ATI Radeon X1950 XTX, At the moment its displaying 93deg C and practically nothing is running on my PC. Its stored under my desk but is sufficient ventilation and none of the airways are blocked. I recently opend the box to hoover out any dust. If I try to run any sort of game I get a warning message on the ATI Catalyst Control Center telling me something like that "the tempertatute is too high and it needs to reduce the cycle" (not sure exactly) anybody any ideas whats wrong. Even if I start using some graphics package, its rises to 105 deg C

My systems specs
Processors: Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2.4GHz
Memory: PC5300 DDR II, 4 x 1GB
Motherboard: ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2
Screen: DELL 30inch, display running 2600 x 1600

Any ideas

Thanks in Advance to all
John

Related resources
October 25, 2007 8:49:42 PM

hi guys,
thanks for your help much appreciated. Been away so didn't get a chance to reply until now
akhilles: kinda makes it worse (leaving the case open)

shamgar: Right tried a few things ...
1. I bought a new larger fan for the rear of the computer, made no difference, still at 93deg when idle.
2. I downloaded the ATI tray tool, was very similar to the CD that came with the g. card. however I can see no option for changing the fan speed
3. Can't seem to find any room for installing another fan that sucks air into the PC. In any case, its noise enough (for watching movies)
4. Actually I just noticed something and feel free to abuse me for my ignorance of graphics cards but on the graphics card itself there seems to be some sort of fan. This is not rotating at all. I assume it should. Is this my problem?

Thanks guys :) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 25, 2007 9:18:52 PM

Oh yes that will be the kiddy right there.
Mactronix
October 25, 2007 9:24:33 PM

thanks for speedy reply Mactronix

shoot, :cry:  i checked all the connections, they all seem fine, is there anything i can do.
A bit annoying as i have obviously had this problem for the last year except the warranty is just up.
Didn't know it was a problem until i started trying to play games

Any suggestions as to what i can do to fix this problems ?
thanks
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 25, 2007 9:37:31 PM

Well if you have been lucky and the card hasnt cooked itself then you could fit an after market cooler to it.
I personally havent had any experiance doing this but im sure one of the others will be able to advise you more i will have a look and see what i can find out incase you dont get many replies.
mactronix
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 25, 2007 9:58:12 PM

If you go about 2/3 pages into this review (assuming its the same card)then you will see that it seems to be just a case of unbolting the old one disconecting it and replacing it with a compatable aftermarket solution.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/08/23/ati_radeon_...
If you dont get any more replies i would sugest looking up a guide to be on the safe side as there is usually something less obvious that you need to know about,I think you need thermal paste on the heatsink for one.
As i said its not some thing i have had a lot to do with
Mactronix
October 25, 2007 10:03:42 PM

Ahh , good news, I took the card out disconnected the little 4 pin wire that connects to the fan, reinstalled in and powered up. No change as expected

Shut-down, removed card and reconnect the wire (poser cord to the fan I assume), powered up again and success!!

All seems well now, I was on a steady 60 deg when idle, just started running a game for the last 10 mins it seems to be holding at 73 deg

I lot better that the 110 from yesterday.

Are these tempertatures ok do you reckon, I am running a 30" screen @ 2600 x 1920 res so I would expect it to be higher temperature than that of other 1950 users on this forum

cheers mactronix

PS: anybody know how to get the ATI tool to monitor fan speed? I tried the web site but doesn't seem to be anything, hmmm
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 25, 2007 10:21:46 PM

Yes those temps seem about right i checked a couple of other forums and they are within 5 degrees either way of what i was seeing reported.
Sorry havent a clue about ATI Tool
Glad you got it sorted :) 
Mactronix
October 25, 2007 10:49:51 PM

cheers for your help.

All i need to do is sort out my sound out now (another problem, another forum ha ha) and its game time for me

:bounce: 

!