Vista 64 / Blue screen w/4 gig - P5n32-e/Geil 4x1gb 6400 Black Dragon

sbdesign

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Getting so fustrated.
I'd like to firstly say thanks for anyone who attemps to help me, I can't show my appreciation enough for those on forums who really help people simply because they can.

My pc specs ar ein sig
i have updated vista
Updated bios

Fine with 2 gig
Fine with other 2 sticks

So im guessing ram is fine?

Insert all 4, blue screen on windows loading screen.

Do I need to change options in my bios?
Do I need to up the memory volts?

Please help, I have heard so many reasons, but scared to try the fixes unless the advice is directed to my personal set up.
Kind regards
SBDESIGN

PS: trying to get 3 monitors working with 2 GDU if you think you can help please answer - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245680-15-gaming-monitors-build-problem-p5n32

Firstly, if you have overclocked please set the CMOS back to the defaults. If that doesn't solve anything, or you haven't overclocked, then take out 2 Gigs, and install the following update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/

Boot with the 2 gigs still installed. Then shut down and put the other two back in.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Try removing one of the GPUs to see if that helps.
I know I know, you want both. But this is a test.

I strongly suspect driver issues and considering you have an unusual graphics setup, that is the most likely source of your problem.

If my idea helps, I would contact your GPU vendor for assistance.
They may have new drivers or notifying them of the issue may assist them in getting new/fixed drivers.

You might also want to try an ATI/NVIDIA forum even if you did not get the card there.

sbdesign

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
well did what Scotteq said and rebooted and 4 gig is now in and working - really can't thank enough.
Cheers guys.

I hear what your saying zenmaster, but as its working its not aproblem, but I thought about this to get the cards working.

I thought take one out, then try installing back in,will it make a difference if i stry putting the second not in the blue socket (both blues = sli) and trying one white one blue?

cheers again
john

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
It could be that your mobo does not like your ram.
That mobo (I burned on out) is VERY picky with ram.
Try another brand that is on the qualified vendor list.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Is it 32 or 64 bit Vista?

I have 64 bit Vista Premium, with 4*1GB. Even tough I'm overclocking (DDR2-800 working at 833, with 4-4-4-12 timing instead of 4-4-4-15), it works flawlessly.

I'd suggest raising memory voltage by a notch. It's a well known fact that more memory often need incresed voltage. If you need, say, 2.10 volt, try putting it up to 2.15 or 2.20 instead. Don't go higher then +0.10 volt on what is recommended by your memory manufacturer, as it might get risky for long term stability.

You can, in last resort, lower your RAM frequency. If it's DDR2 800, try running it at 667 instead but with same timing. The difference in performances will be close to none, but with rock stable stability.

My 2 cents!

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Glad you fixed it while I was writing up an answer. :)

GumbyTheBorg

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Yeah, I got an XFX 680i Mobo (the equivalent of the EVga 680i A1) and I'm having issues with 4 Gb of RAM.

If I test 2 Gb (using memtest86) of ram instead of 4Gb, the tests pass perfect (switching between one set and the other). But if I plug in all 4Gb, the test fails (sometimes, not always). I am overclocking my RAM at 4-4-4-10-1T @ 900MHz/2.20 Volts (this is 4xPC2-8500 1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer sticks). If I run either Windows XP 64 or Windows Vista 64 with 4Gb of RAM, it works for a while and then BAM! BSOD. But if I run it with 2Gb of RAM, no problems whatsoever. I'm kind of surprised since I've been running this new machine for a couple of weeks now without any issues and all of a sudden, it's BSODing all the time. I ran PRIME95 on it at the beginning without any issues (using 4Gb of RAM). I thought one of my sticks might be going bad, but testing the sticks in 2Gb pairs passes all the time). What gives?

Wobbles303

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I hope I'm not breaking any rules by necroing this thread but it's the same problem I'm having. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.

I'm getting this problem with Windows 7 64 ultimate. I have a P5N32-E SLI Plus and I'm trying to get 4x1gb 6400 Geil Black Dragon working also. The BSODs Im getting are the same as the thread creator. I havent tried removing one of my SLI 8800 GT cards yet. I haven't tried installing the hotfix as it's for Vista. Will that cause a problem if I installed it on 7? I can't get into safe mode so I've had to remove the modules to type this. I should mention I've tried reseating the modules.

I have had 2 GB of this ram (same specs as the new modules) running for about a year and a half now with no problems. The system was OCed but I have set it back to defaults to try and fix this problem with no luck. I first thought one of the modules was damaged and got them replaced from amazon uk. Oh and Buying a new motherboard isnt an option, as that usually leads to buying a new everything :)

Thanks in advance!!

Wobbles303

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I got in contact with Geil and they replied with this:

"The IC chips are not totally exact the same due to they are Dual Channel Kit products. That is why we have Quad Channel kit to prevent such issue. Thank you so much."

That can't be right can it? please can someone help me with this?