Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hardware Conflict?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 30, 2007 5:31:55 AM

Hey guys, I've been reading your posts for a while and I've found alot of good info from these forums, so I hope you guys can help me out. ;) 

Ok, I've gotta custom built computer and here are the specs:

MB: GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4 Rev 1.0 (I think)
CPU: Intel C2D 6420 OC'd @ 3.0 / w Thermaltek 7 CPU fan
RAM: A-DATA 3GIGS (1 Kit of A-DATA 1GB & 1 kit of A-DATA 2GB)
HDD: (3) WD 250GB SATA RAID 1
Vid: (2) EVGA 7900 KO (SLI) /w TrippleHead2go Digital Edition :kaola: 
PSU: Roswell 600watt

I put the 2nd video card in back in July and it seems like since then my computer has become unstable. When I put it in originally I had a Generic 500watt PSU, but these cards are rated at 480 so I went ahead and bought the 600watt but the problem persists. When the problem occurs it acts like an IRQ conflict when it reboots under Vista x64, or it will bluescreen under WinXP. Under XP when the login .WAV file starts the computer would reboot, so I reinstalled XP w/o the audio and ran 3dmark06 4-5 times w/o it rebooting. So then I installed the Audio drivers and it seemed stable for a while until i started trying to watch DVD's from the HDD and it started becoming unstable again.

The reason I'm having such a hard time with this issue is because I cant pin down when It will fail and reboot. Sometimes its when I'm trying to watch a movie and attempt to access the hard drive or other times It will just reboot by itself while its in hibernate. I've ran Prime95 for 72hours no reboot. I'm leaning towards it being the second 7900 EVGA card, but I wanted to see what you all thought.

Thanks for your help ;) 


More about : hardware conflict

September 30, 2007 7:31:14 AM

JackBlack07 said:
Hey guys, I've been reading your posts for a while and I've found alot of good info from these forums, so I hope you guys can help me out. ;) 

Ok, I've gotta custom built computer and here are the specs:

MB: GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4 Rev 1.0 (I think)
CPU: Intel C2D 6420 OC'd @ 3.0 / w Thermaltek 7 CPU fan
RAM: A-DATA 3GIGS (1 Kit of A-DATA 1GB & 1 kit of A-DATA 2GB)
HDD: (3) WD 250GB SATA RAID 1
Vid: (2) EVGA 7900 KO (SLI) /w TrippleHead2go Digital Edition :kaola: 
PSU: Roswell 600watt

I put the 2nd video card in back in July and it seems like since then my computer has become unstable. When I put it in originally I had a Generic 500watt PSU, but these cards are rated at 480 so I went ahead and bought the 600watt but the problem persists. When the problem occurs it acts like an IRQ conflict when it reboots under Vista x64, or it will bluescreen under WinXP. Under XP when the login .WAV file starts the computer would reboot, so I reinstalled XP w/o the audio and ran 3dmark06 4-5 times w/o it rebooting. So then I installed the Audio drivers and it seemed stable for a while until i started trying to watch DVD's from the HDD and it started becoming unstable again.

The reason I'm having such a hard time with this issue is because I cant pin down when It will fail and reboot. Sometimes its when I'm trying to watch a movie and attempt to access the hard drive or other times It will just reboot by itself while its in hibernate. I've ran Prime95 for 72hours no reboot. I'm leaning towards it being the second 7900 EVGA card, but I wanted to see what you all thought.

Thanks for your help ;) 


Quote:
PSU: Roswell 600watt


Your description of the problem describes a weak, innefficient PSU to a tee. I would suggest an upgrade right away to a high quality unit. Corsair, OCZ, OC Power and Cooling, Antec, Enermax. With the two 7900's in tow, you can bet your current psu is breathing fire.


September 30, 2007 7:32:54 AM

Here's my little comments on video cards:

I have a Dell laptop - E1705. I have a Geforce Go 7800. The Dell drivers are dated 1.5.2006. Quite old. If I use the Nvidia drivers at nvidia.com, they work great.... for a while. No matter what game I play, or what I do, it will eventually seem to 'randomly' blue screen. If I go back to the Dell drivers, problem solved. This indicates to me that video drivers are MUCH more complex than end users can imagine. The fact that it will quite literally randomly blue screen shows something internally goes wrong.

So, with that in mind actually finding the problem could be difficult. I'd start with doing a fresh install of XP or Vista. Use it for a while and see what happens. If the problem goes away it's somewhat obvious that something stays resident in the system even after trying to reinstall the drivers. Me personally. When I upgrade my video card I uninstall the old drivers, remove and replace the card, then install the new drivers.

When you talk about upgrading do you mean going from single card to SLI? Are both cards identical?
Related resources
October 1, 2007 12:41:37 AM

Thanks for your reply badge, but what Watt PSU would you recommend? 800-1k? My system temps are low even though I'm OC'ing the CPU, but I"m not sure how hot the PSU is getting. IS roswell not a decent brand of PS?
October 1, 2007 12:54:32 AM

JackBlack07 said:
Thanks for your reply badge, but what Watt PSU would you recommend? 800-1k? My system temps are low even though I'm OC'ing the CPU, but I"m not sure how hot the PSU is getting. IS roswell not a decent brand of PS?


Before you change the PSU, you might up the voltage to the RAM a notch in BIOS. It's not the watts you may be lacking with the 600 wat Rosewill. I suspect that unit has a single 12v rail with possibly 29A or slightly more. When you added the second 7900 the problems began. I had the same problem with two 7800GT's in SLI. I upgraded the PSU and my troubles were over. Take a look at this 600 watt unit. It has 4 x 18A 12V rails.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3092557&CatId=106

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

There are better units out there, but not so easily at this price.
October 1, 2007 1:10:57 PM

Here is the PSU that I bought.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Output +3.3@30A,+5V@55A,+12V1@19A,+12V2@19A,-12V@1A,+5V SB@2.5A

On paper it looks like the one that i have pushes more amps than the one you suggested, or is that a bad assumption? By pushing more voltage to the RAM what did you expect it to accomplish?
October 1, 2007 1:35:33 PM

Take a look at the Corsair HX620 or the AntecNeoHE 550 or something along those lines... It'll depend on your budget I suppose, but both are nice and should power your system just fine.
October 1, 2007 1:35:34 PM

The unit you have prodiuces 19 Amps x 2 on the 12v rails. The one I listed has 18 x 4. You should go into BIOS once and set the memory voltage and see if running your RAM at mfg. specs. makes a difference. What timings are you using. RAM and PSU's are often the cause of random system crashes.
October 1, 2007 2:01:50 PM

I have to agree about the "Newegg" brand psu not being a good idea, but it honestly sounds like the 2nd vid card could be bad - have you tried running each card independently to check for stability? Just a thought.
October 1, 2007 2:10:57 PM

utaka95 said:
I have to agree about the "Newegg" brand psu not being a good idea, but it honestly sounds like the 2nd vid card could be bad - have you tried running each card independently to check for stability? Just a thought.


I was experience system shutdowns, breakups on the monitor, lockups of what appeared to be video card related. I knew one of my 7800GT's was bad. I tried the cards seperately and each card worked perfectly to my complete surprise. I decided to pull my 19A x 2 Enermax PSU and replace it with a unit supplying 24/22 amp 12v. I haven't had a problem with the system since.
October 2, 2007 7:21:44 AM

UPDATE: I took your advice Badge and pushed the voltage up a notch on the RAM to +0.25 and brought the CPU voltage from 1.35 (stock) to 1.42. So far after doing that the system can play a DVD from the HDD and WoW in windowed mode while I alt+tab between the two w/o rebooting. So Goodjob Badge, good catch :) 
October 2, 2007 8:08:43 PM

I know the issue is fixed by what you said. But why did everybody jump to bad PSU, the symptoms are right for poor overclock? He has onboard audio which tends to be the cause of many problems when overclocking. I am just saying read the whole problem before arriving at a conclusion.
October 2, 2007 10:54:40 PM

Is this correct assumption? When a power supply has two 12 v rails it would be good practice to balance load of video cards on 2 completely different power leads? Each lead in a dual rail would be rated for 19amp or whatever per rail rating is, correct assumption or does this vary by manufacturer?

Regards,

J. Turner
October 3, 2007 6:20:20 AM

Dual 12V rails is more of a safety feature. It splits 1 high amp line into two. Depending on the power supply it may. Some of the dual rail power supplies do have two regulators in them. But for the most part they have one, and they hope by not letting you know which 12V is on which rail, that it splits evenly.
Here is a power supply round up that contains there point of view on dual rail on the first page http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/atx-psu5... .
October 3, 2007 6:51:22 AM

@Super: he was actually correct in the sense that it was a power supply issue. It would appear that the 2 cards were drawing more power than the 2 12V rails could support and by me not increasing the voltage of the ram from the stock setting caused the system to fail because of insuffecient power to the motherboard/RAM.
October 4, 2007 7:12:42 AM

Interesting read in your link F34r1355.
!