DVD Read Speed is Sloooooowwwwwwwwwww....

staypufft

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I built a new system a few months ago and the DVD-RW has been driving me crazy because of slow read speeds. My system configuration is as follows:

E8400@3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 Mobo
2GB DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix
BFG 8800GTS G92
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 32MB Cache Raid 0 Config
Corsair 520w PSU
Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA DVD Burner <========= :fou:
Windows XP Pro x32
LG 245WP Monitor
LIAN LI PC-V1200Bplus II

According to Nero Discspeed the read speed for this drive is only 1.6x! It takes an absurdly long time to rip CD's, install games, etc. In addition it takes a long time (>20sec) to recognize a cd/dvd.

I've tried enabling DMA, but there are no IDE Channels listed in device manager (all of my optical and HDD are connected via sata). I took an old IDE dvd-burner from one of my other computers and installed it in this system, and the read speeds weren't much better (~3x). Evidently the JMicron JBB36X controller manages IDE, and the IDE drive was listed as a SCSI device. When I checked the registry I found that DMA is enabled for all SCSI devices, so are there any other reasons why DVD drives are running so slowly on my system?

Could it be a driver issue? I installed the ICH9R drivers when installing windows, and the rest of my drivers are up to date. Onboard IDE is enabled in BIOS, but there are no IDE devices listed. I have heard that ICH9R has a problem with optical drives, so should I just suck it up and accept that this drive is gonna run slow?

Please Help! This has been driving me crazy!

gord1

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
your not alone,i have the same problem but with cd/dvd rom read only drive,xj-hd166s.I have this problem,it play's cd rom,cd music,but not dvd's it play's very slooooooo!!!!!.i had this problem last year.all i did to fix it was run nero's drive speed,it detected the drive and set the speed,this time it's not working,i'm puzzled.

staypufft

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks for the reply, gord1!
I ran Nero Drivespeed and it only detected read speeds up to 8x, which is the minimum DVD read speed according to the manufacturer. I set it to read at 8x, but according to discspeed it still runs at ~1.6x no matter what DVD format I use.
There are two other odd things I've noticed about the drive. The first is that Discspeed always mentions "hybrid disc type" whenever I run a speed test, and secondly, If I delete the DVD device from the device manager and reboot Windows, it never seems to reinstall the driver correctly. After Windows detects the hardware, it never gives me a notice saying the device is ready to use, which is peculiar because I've never had that happen before and yet the DVD drive still works and is visible in My Computer.

vinodg

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Me too have this problem. In starting it read faster but now it is very slow. You know what I did. I just kicked the DVD reader plucked out of my cpu. It really make me crazy. What was the problem? Is there any problem with DVD reader or with disc I insert?