This looked like a great deal: HD2600XT w Black Box for $95

pauldh

Illustrious
You have to watch it, if that mem clock is accurate (1400MHz), it has SLOW memory. For $5 more you can have the Sapphire with 1800MHz GDDR3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102700

But I totally agree with you that's is a nice deal and have been sending links to friends about it. One just ordered the OC'ed MSI with 850MHz core and 2200MHz GDDR4 for $114 AR and the black box. I basically said the same thing you are saying, $40 for the black box (which he wanted for sure), and it's like a $60-75 for a card.

All Neweggs 2600XT's are coming with the black box, which makes them look very good for the buck right now (if you would otherwise buy the orange box anyway)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=2600xt

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
pauldh

Thanks I did miss that memory. Somewhere I read that the 2600xt had super fast ddr4. I guess it depends on which 2600....

EDIT:

Hey where are you finding the specs on that Sapphire card? All I can find is that it has DDR3??

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Black Box was canceled for retail and instead included in the special ATI bundle.

From wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orange_Box ) :

Another compilation, The Black Box, was also planned. This would have contained only the new material (HL2: Episode Two, Portal, TF2) but was later canceled for retail, and will only be available through Steam to owners of the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT graphics card. These owners receive a voucher for a free copy of The Black Box through Steam which can only be transferred along with the graphics card.

pauldh

Illustrious
You know, I am almost possitive that Newegg had it listed with 1800MHz GDDR3 a few days ago back when it first hit their deals page. Looking back in my email a buddy and I were discussing the 1800MHz GDDR3 on it vs 2.2GHz GDDR4 on the MSI. But I don't see it listed now and it may have been a mistake and removed.

Sapphires spec chart lists it as 1.4Ghz, so forget the Sapphire too. It looks like only the HIS IceQ has high clocked GDDR3 and of course a few have GDDR4.

Ilander

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
It'll run the games it comes with just fine :D

TF2 runs good on my HD 2600XT with all but AA cranked up at 1280x1024, but then, the source engine isn't exactly stressing on new hardware...and I have the DDR4 version with the 2300MHz memory.

I wish I had waited on my graphics card purchase (and my purchase of the Orange Box) a couple more weeks, but that's okay. I wanted HL2 and HL2ep1, as I haven't played them, plus, well, that kind of thing always happens.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a nVidia 8800GTS-320MB for gaming so the ATI hd2600xt will be a card for primarily for theater, and secondly as a gaming card (for friends or whatever). I don't like nVidia cards for theater.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Update

I guess I got lucky. This card is now $109.99 not including $5.84 shipping, and not including The Black Box!

It games better than I expected. Amazing really considering it does not need any extra power cable and runs pretty quiet.

I'm disappointed with the theater aspect of this card. Every other recent ATI card I've ever owned has had a feature called "theater mode" which allows a video to be full screen on one display (like a 50" plasma) and windowed video on a second display (like a 20" LCD). This card looks like it was intended to work the same way but it does not (piss me off!!). I guess it is a "known issue" with no current solution.

Still it is an amazing card for what I paid.....