Kruck

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Looking at a 12V PoweredUSB port (the stacked ports, USB on the bottom, power on the top)- has anyone used these? Specifically, I want to know if the USB/bottom can act as a regular USB, or if it also carries a 12v rail- basically want to know if I can use a regular USB device (memory stick) in the bottom (ignoring the top connector) without frying it.

Thanks!
Keith

Kruck

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Wikipedia for USB, and it notes a powerUSB spec which is for higher powered appliances that run off 5, 12, or 24v (each of the three us a different plug to avoid mismatch). Check out Newegg and search for "front panel" then look for the product by aerocool powerpanel and you can see a good picture of the higher voltage usb ports. Aerocool's website also has the cables that use these ports. I guess they aren't used a lot yet due to the licensing fee or something.

My real reason for asking is that I want a front-panel multicard reader that operates at true USB 2.0+ speeds, and if it also has USB and firewire ports, all the better. I don't care about speaker ports or fan control. Looking at the reviews of front panels, it looks like most of them are (a) a slower USB (possibly 1.0 or 1.1), can't handle large memory cards (my main SD card is 4GB), or they use god-awful cabling where instead of taking advantage of motherboard pinout connectors, they terminate in the actual plug and you have to route them out the back of your case and plug them in an existing socket of the same type (USB, firewire, audio, etc). I don't know if the aerocool panel meets all my specs, but it is the only one that appears to use motherboard pinouts instead of cabling through to the back of the PC...

Thanks,
Keith

This is not USB but PowerUSB(Never even noticed you calling it like that)

Well its about damn time.....no more power brick for external 3.5 inch drives and DVD/r(w).....

I think this one will take a bit of time to get big and the cables are bit too.....

either way....post a link to that aerocool device and i will peek at it....

DSCN1463.JPG

This one has everything you want....

Do you have a PowerUSB device? I have yet to see one....all my devices run normal USB and a power adapter if needed

EDIT....to answer you original question....it looks like a normal USB port and the power comes from the top, after all the USB(not powerusb) standard calls for data + - and +5 and ground(-)

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I have seen the powerusb ports on a couple different laptops.

I do believe the lower (usb) port is standard, just the additional upper part is the added power line(s) for the device.

From pc-look.com

PowerUSB is a brand new application for the computer market. It can be used as a standard USB 2.0 port or simply use it as a charger for other products listed below.
(specific PowerUSB cables must be purchased separately)

Power USB 12 volts connector for CD/DVD/Combo or 3.5" HD-External Box, LCD monitor and Scanner
Power USB 5 volts for USB Hub, 2.5" HD-external Box, Cell phone charger, Ipod charger

Since the power comes from your psu the power limits could be much higher too....no more 500ma per port with the right 5volt cable...