8800gtx cooling (running 92 degrees under load)

raddix64

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
So I find posts saying the cooling is fine for this card, but mine apparently isn't. I have the PNY stock cooler on it and it runs hot. While playing the Crysis SP demo I reach 92 degrees Celsius a few minutes in and it stays that way during play.

This card USED to trigger BSOD until I clocked the card down to what a 8800gtx normally runs at, undoing the PNY factory's overclocking.

Is there a good 3rd party cooler I can get for this card? How tricky is it to pull the cooler off the card and redo the thermal paste? I may try using some arctic silver first with the current cooler to see if that helps. 92 just seems awful high.

Raddix

raddix64

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
There does appear to be damage involved, or at least the problem isn't completely thermal. I have the side panel to the case off at the moment, with a box fan as big as the case pointing in the side. Temperatures have dropped a full 10 degrees, but if I restore the factory overclocking, the glitches come back immediately.

Raddix64

raddix64

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I will see what my warranty allows for in regards to reseating the heatsink and give it a shot if I can. I have a service warranty on top of the factory warranty that I got through newegg when I purchased the card. I thought it was a replacement but I was apparently wrong. I would hate to void warranties on the card just to find out that there is something damaged.

Raddix64

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
That cooler works like a charm! I was having similar issues with my old AGP x1950xt. I pulled the factory sink, installed the HR-03 and a Vantec Toronado with a fan speed controller and voila. It turned out that mine wasn't the core overheating so much as it was the VRM boiling. Either way, that heat sink and a good CFM fan (Toronado is overkill) should solve your problems :)

TRENDING THREADS