If you got a new card now which one would you get?

If you got a new card now which one would you get?

• Nvidia based

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • ATI based

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Don't care just so it's DX10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care if it's DX10 or DX9

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'v tried ATI (AMD) twice, and both times I'v got a bad card, that has never happened in the nVidia camp, so I'm staying here, 8800gt is on my sights now :D

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I've gone back and forth on vid cards for years. Each had had their strengths and weaknesses. My last card was an ati 9800 pro, which served it's purpose, but I can't say I was ever truly impressed with it.

I think this is the first time I have ever noticed a huge difference with a vid card, its been stable, the images have been almost completely free of artifacts (a huge problem with my 9800), and for the life of me I dont know what everyone was complaining about as far as the noise levels.

Until ATI can come out with something truly remarkable, I'll be sitting in the NV camp.

pauldh

Illustrious
This poll is just a popularity/fanboi contest. The smart buyer researches the best card for his applications in his price range and goes with that reguardless of whether it's red or green.

In general I'd have to vote option 4 (either a DX9 or DX10 from ATI or NV) as it just depends on the price range and I've bought enough from both companies to not fear either. For my own gamer currently with an 8800GTS 320MB, I'd only go with an 8800GTX/Ultra now as an upgrade, but I hope for something better and could care less if it's NV or ATI (your option 3)

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I just got a new card; the 2900 pro. best bang for the buck and that is why I got it. I was about to pull the trigger on an 8800gts 320 then found the pro at the last second. couldn't be happier.

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Amen to that, Paul. I've had pretty good luck with either, though right now i've got a ati x1950xt and am very happy with it (despite its being hotter than the white fires of hell).

I do find, however, that the ASUS board that I had before was a bit more high quality than my current Sapphire and (if I remember right) had a better warranty.

If you play the fanboy game you're guaranteed to be losing out half the time. Sure, nVidia is on top now, but give ATI a few quarters and they might be blitzing the shirt off of nVidia.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I've owned an ATI and NVIDIA based DX10 card...gland I am now using the NVIDIA DX10 card. Also, THE MAIN REASON to own a DX10 card, is not for the DX10 compatibility, it's for the unified shaders. That is the key to great FPS in DX9 applications. As well as DX10 applications, but, I'll do without ME2. ;)

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Right now I choose ATI, im getting a 1920x1200 or something res monitor (24inch) up frmo a 20inch one, o Ill be looking for the extra memory of the 1gb ATI card rather then the 8800gt.

Then ill just clock it up to 800mhz core and 2ghz memory.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

True, but the reason a particular company will have a lot of fanboys/popularity would be because they have the superior card. I mean I like NV, but if ATI came out with a better card I wouldn't stick with NV for kicks and giggles.

I voted NVidia.
-Adam

sailer

Splendid
I voted for ATI. I'm interested particularly in the HD 2900 XT with the 1 gig of GDDR4 memory. I think there's potential there which hasn't been exposed yet, whether through better drivers, overclocking, or some combination. If ATI updates its card line with something better, then I might go for that.

In part, its because I found with my 8800 GTS, Nvidia requires that the registry be rewritten to accomodate the 8800 series cards for K7 and K8 CPUs. Nvidia claims that AMD didn't follow Nvidia's rules when making their chips. Funny, the 7800 GTX in my other computer has no problem with a K8 CPU. Seems more like some corperate sabatoge resulting from AMD's buyout of ATI to me. :non: Other than that, I'm just interested in what ATI offers, for a change.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

Im thinking high res crysis will be glad to have that 1gb lol.

pauldh

Illustrious

Yes, and that's fine when we are talking the top end cards. No doubt NV has the high end lead right now, But neither company has the best card from top to bottom in all price ranges for all applications. So if someone decides they would only buy an NV card because the 8800 Ultra is the current top dog, it makes little sense if their budget limits them to $100, $150, or $200 where ATI has been very strong. But it happens. That's what a fanboi does and he very often gets less card for the money then he could have bought if he considered both companies. Then there are the other people who once had a Radeon 7500 and couldn't get it to run to their liking, so they state they will only buy NV as they have had trouble with ATI. Or Someone who took a beating on an FX5700le now giving advice that ATI is the way to go as they had issues with NV in the past. Shoot half the time it was probably user error in both cases anyway. When these type people give advice, it isn't worth listening too.

I'm not trying to steal the fun from this thread. But I'd rather see a poll where series of cards are listed...what would you buy a GF8800, HD2900, GF8600, HD2600, X1950, GF7900, etc., as it speaks to their price range. Personally I buy alot of cards (for builds not just for me) and I can't tell you which company I will buy from until everythings considered and it's about time to order. But I pretty much know on a daily basis what I would buy/recommend for each price range. But all it takes is a better deal on a different card and I'd swap cards/brands for sure.