Load temps fine but idle temps high?

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
I just upgraded my CPU cooler on an brisbane 4000. With the stock cooler I was at around 35c idle and 59c peak full load on orthos with an OC to 2.5GHz from 2.1GHz stock. Now I have a Asus Triton 70 CPU cooler that is over all alot better for my cases air flow. My load temps dropped by 10c but my idle temps went up. My full load temps are still fine even with a new OC of 2.74GHz with a load temp of 52c peak but my idle temp is 38-40c which I think is kind of high for idle temps esspecially with a good cooler and lots of case airflow. At first I thought mabey to much thermal grease but if that were the case wouln't I have higher load temps also? Cool and Quiet enabled btw, but I did just disable that to see what my temps were like without it and its the same pretty much.

Any thoughts?

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Yes I did raise the vcore to 1.325v from stock 1.30v so that could be a part of it. I didn't think such a small vcore increase would effect idle temp this much. I think Evilonigiri has a good point too and I even considered what he said before making this thread. At idle my new coolers fan spins at very low speeds of around 500. The fan has a max speed of 2300 rpm and while running orthos that fan dosnt even break a sweat, hits about 1500rpm with a temp of 52c at full load. I just noticed today that if I leave my comp idle for 15mins or longer my CPU temp drops down to 35c, it just takes awile.

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Finnally found out how to control the fan manually and set it to 100% which is 2300rpm. Now my idle temps are below 30c and a full load temp of 44c and I dont even hear the the CPU fan over the case fans so full speed it is.