SMART Reset.. is it possible?

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I have a Seagate hard drive that I want to reset SMART. Now before you start asking I am not trying to sell this drive or anything like that. I am keeping it and using it, in fact I am currently using it in a media center. The drive did get hot due to a failed fan and that is what tripped the sensor, however the drive appears to function 100% (for the last 4 months). I want to use the drive in a RAID 5 array but this drive is flagged with a SMART error. I would like to at least reset SMART and run some tests and see if it trips again.

Anyway does anyone know of a tool to reset SMART on a Seagate SATA drive?

I am not sure if this can be done, but if it can, I bet that Seagate would have a utility to do it. I haven't acually used SeaTools (Seagate's drive utilities), have you given that a try.

As I said, I don't know if you can do it though. Maybe a low level format would take care of it as it will re-write the CMOS table on the drive. I haven't done a low-level format since the days you could launch it from debug (DOS).

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I had a seagate drive die on me...
their online tech chat support is quick.
take you 5 min and you will have your answer right from seagate....

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I have access to seagate and they are not talking. As far as seatools I do not think even the enterprise version will reset SMART. I also tried a firmware update but there is no newer firmware for this drive.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

one option is just to RMA the drive...
from past experience ... when a harddrve is flakey... it will fail for you but not the computer shop you return it to...

if it passes all of segates test tools.... power the drive up and just bang the top of it while holding it your hand..
that will drive the heads into the platters.... causeing the drive to fail for sure...
then RMA it...

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion Hacker but in this case I am the computer shop. There is normally no warranty on a part that was a sample. Warranty is not an option.

I need a utility to reset SMART if there is such a thing.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Those utilities do exist but the potential for abuse is too great. If generally available people would reset the values on lots of crappy drives and resell them.

I like the other posters suggestion regarding how to return it. OK so you cant return it.

Lastly, just buy another drive. They are too cheap....