New PC user. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it. How do I open an Exel
spread sheet to do caculations on.???
--
Dog Mad

You need Excel which is part of Microsoft Office.

If it is fairly simple you may be able to open it with Microsoft Works
Spreadsheet.

In news:B7EE6E9B-3ED6-4508-B884-214D995BC153@microsoft.com,
Dog Mad <DogMad@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> New PC user. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it. How do I
> open an
> Exel spread sheet to do caculations on.???

Neither Windows XP, nor any other version of Windows, has ever
included Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, or any other
significant application software. Such programs have to be
bought, either by themselves or as part of Microsoft Office.

If your previous computer, running an older version of Windows,
came with Excel, it was because the vendor who sold it bundled it
as part of the package he sold you, not because that version of
Windows came with it. Some, but not all, vendors do the same with
Windows XP.

Please reply to the newsgroup

buy excel

some support

"Dog Mad" <DogMad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| New PC user. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it. How do
I open an Exel
| spread sheet to do caculations on.???
| --
| Dog Mad

Justin

Double click the spreadsheet file or right click and select open. Obviously
you will need Excel to do this.
"Dog Mad" <DogMad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
New PC user. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it. How do I open an Exel
spread sheet to do caculations on.???
--
Dog Mad

Hi

Excel isn't part of WIndows XP and would normally have to be purchased
seperately:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/excel/howtobuy/default.mspx

or as part of an Office Suite:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/howtobuy/default.mspx

You can see if Excel is installed on your system by typing the following
from Start>Run

excel

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Dog Mad" <DogMad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New PC user. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it. How do I open an Exel
> spread sheet to do caculations on.???
> --
> Dog Mad

Double click the excel icon which would start the program (??).....that is,
if you have Excel (I assume you do....) else you need to purchase MS Office
which includes the Excel application.

"Dog Mad" <DogMad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New PC user. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it. How do I open an Exel
> spread sheet to do caculations on.???
> --
> Dog Mad

You can get a free Excel viewer that will open and print
spreadsheets, but you can't do calculations (it is just a
viewer). OFFICE applications such as WORD or EXCEL are NOT
part of Windows.

some support

"Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in
message