Sign in with
Your question

Extremely low CPU temps being reported.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 4, 2008 4:10:11 PM

So, I just built my new rig, and this will be my first time attempting to overclock, so I figured I'd run this problem by you guys before I start. Problem is, everything is reporting ridiculously low core temps on my CD2 E6600. As you can see, coretemp has both cores in the teens when idling (I believe the incorrect frequency is due to speedstep):

Speedfan reports similar results...

My room is a bit on the chilly side, but I really doubt the ambient temperature is lower than 18 degrees Celcius, and I know that the core temps should be significantly higher than that. However, when I put the processor under load, both cores jump up about 15 degrees into the low 30s as expected. I'm a little hesitant to start overclocking if my temperatures are being reported incorrectly. Any thoughts?

Just for the sake of information, I'm using a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard with a C2D E6600 (haven't overclocked yet, and I believe its running at 1600 Mhz when idle due to something similar to speedstep on my mobo.
January 4, 2008 5:10:25 PM

Read the temp guide here, it'll explain a lot. Basically you have to add 15C to the temps.
January 4, 2008 5:18:31 PM

I am already using coretemp. The screenshot is in my post, and the temps are the same.

Well, I see you edited your post :) 

But shouldn't coretemp be correct and not require any adjustment?
Related resources
January 4, 2008 5:50:59 PM

yes, your temps are probably wrong. I just went through this myself with a q6600, when I went to calibrate speedfan (according to the core 2 temp guide) I found that my CPU claimed to be running at 12c at the reduced voltage and speed when my ambient was around 18-19c. From what I understand, both logically and from the guide, your CPU can't be below room ambient (unless your cooler has a wind chill factor ;) . uGuru and speedfan bothe reported my temps the same but they were just too low. check your temps in bios too.

Read the temp guide like others have suggested. read the part about calibration and follow closely. Now my *real* idle and load temps at 3.2ghz are around 24c-45c, and my tjunction makes more sense now but I am still having trouble with two cores reporting temps from 6c-9c difference from the other two... oh bother!

Coretemp is wrong and the guide will explain why and how to fix it... it's not that hard. in your screenshot, is temp 1, 2 or 3 your CPU? maybe your computer is reversing temps depending. I would assume it's number 2. don't worry too much, i'm sure after you calibrate you will find your temps are still very cool!
January 4, 2008 7:18:23 PM

Thanks, I've skimmed through that guide before, but I probably missed the part that said coretemp needs to be calibrated. I'm going on a trip this weekend, but I'll re-read it and try some things when I get back.
January 4, 2008 7:58:22 PM

Oops, I made a mistake! The temp guide shows you how to calibrate speedfan not coretemp. I'm not sure why coretemp would be wrong unless the temps are getting reversed... can't remember how to fix that... Oh well.

Have a good trip.
January 7, 2008 3:51:39 AM

Hmm. Well, I'll read that guide thoroughly when its available again. Any other ideas?
January 7, 2008 4:02:13 AM

Try using TAT - Thermal Analysis Tool from Intel.
January 8, 2008 9:59:36 PM

TAT is not a tool to measure Core 2 Duo temperatures. It can be used to apply maximum thermal load and that's it.
!