Total: 79 votes (28 blank votes)

• buy it
  • 89 %
  • dont buy it
  • 8 %
  • who cares. lol
  • 4 %
October 27, 2007 5:33:05 PM

alright. i was thinking to get asus p5k. thend decided against it coz the Gigabyte P35-DS3L is cheaper n more value. keep in mind i dont intend to do overclocking.

after going through the forums. i found many pple having problems with it.

1-varoius issues with on-board sound (wont work in xp).
2-various ossues with bios updates.
3-some windows xp installation issues with sata hard drives.
4- im feeling negative vibes about this board.

so should i stick to the asus. or i should get this one? im asking coz this whole RMA thing takes time, n i cant live without a pc. lol. n im really saved my ass to buy new pc. so im scared.
October 27, 2007 6:14:55 PM

I am also thinking about buying this board. You get problems with all boards really.

The on-board sound is awful, but so is 90% of other boards with on-board sound. So I wouldnt worry about it, and instead just buy a sound card. For me I have a SB2 ZR, so its all good.

Dont know too much about the sata harddrive problems, but I think alot of boards have problems as they need drivers prior to installing the OS. Correct me if im wrong. :??: 

The IDE connector is also stupidly placed, but its nothing major.

Other than those few minor setbacks its amazing on a price/performance scale

Flawless comments from newegg users
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=4&Page=2
October 27, 2007 6:49:24 PM

I liked the DS4 a little better. Its got firewire and more sata connectors and plus an additional PCIe but it doesnt run at 16x.
Related resources
October 28, 2007 7:05:05 AM

akelkar said:
I liked the DS4 a little better. Its got firewire and more sata connectors and plus an additional PCIe but it doesnt run at 16x.

and it comes at the double price of the DS3L.
October 28, 2007 8:00:15 AM

Buy it. I have a P35 DQ6 and I suspect they are based on the same BIOS. As far as loading the OS on SATA, I don't know for sure, but I suspect that most of the problems are with a PATA CD/DVD. Just buy a SATA DVD. If that's not the case then you would know, being as how you are more familiar with these complaints. I don't know if the audio chip is the same but I suspect it is. It works fine for me, although I'm only using two channel. I've updated my BIOS twice, I think, with no problems at all. I used the Q-flash and a floppy. Don't ever use the windows utility for a BIOS update no matter what mobo.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2007 8:53:32 AM

I haven't seen these DS3L problems, of coarse I haven't been looking for them. I have read alot of reviews that were positive. There are always issues with most mobo's, most are operator issues, but not always. I do as much research on a mobo before purchasing, including asking in different forums. Another idea is to look at the Abit IP35 mobo, which has about the same options as the DS3L.
$97 shipped - $20 MIR = $77!!!
ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2007 10:58:18 AM

99.9% of the problems I have seen posted were user error. The other .1% appeared to be bad boards. The XP on board audio problem is the same for both boards. You have to go to Windows update and DL a patch for HD audio. You then go to the Realtek site and DL the appropriate drivers for best results.

You should also ignore the Crucial Ballistix fanboys. It is excellent ram, but can be finicky on Gigabyte boards. Stick with Corsair XMS2, or OCZ Platinum Rev. 2.0. Both work extremely well. Ballistix works well on ASUS boards as does the Corsair.

My DS3L has been running flawlessly since April, and posted on the first try. It ran XP for the first 2 weeks or so before being permanently switched to Linux. I do not do Windows any more.
October 28, 2007 11:57:44 AM

ic, so ill need to install the patch for HD audio before hand. will it be hard to find?

i checked the QVL list of gigabyte for the RAMS. n it tested with kingstone. so ill get kingstone. (coz i dont intend to overclock).

is it important to update the bios? i read the whole manual of how to update, using the q-flash n all. but is it important?

@lunyone. i saw the users rating in newegg. it seems the ratings gigabyte board got are better than Abit ones.
October 28, 2007 7:21:47 PM

night_wolf_in said:
ic, so ill need to install the patch for HD audio before hand. will it be hard to find?

i checked the QVL list of gigabyte for the RAMS. n it tested with kingstone. so ill get kingstone. (coz i dont intend to overclock).

is it important to update the bios? i read the whole manual of how to update, using the q-flash n all. but is it important?

@lunyone. i saw the users rating in newegg. it seems the ratings gigabyte board got are better than Abit ones.
First, you need to take the comments on Newegg with a grain of salt. You need to get a feel, based on the post, whether the poster has a clue or not.

Update the BIOS if it repairs or gives you functionality that you need. Updating the BIOS can brick your mobo and should be given all due respect. Be careful... be very careful. I determined the first two updates for the DQ6 were worth the risk. You will have to make that determination on your own, base on the current BIOS revision and what they have to offer. As Far as ram, I don't know how much money you have but the Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800 has worked flawlessly on three DQ6 systems with OC to 3G/1333 divider @ 4:5 800. I don't know what the specs of your build is but the P35 gives a trouble free OC to 3G/1333 and if you don't employ it you are loosing out on the easiest OC in the history of computing. You could still achieve this with DDR2 667, but the price difference is very small.

List your complete specs and let's take a look, or post a link to the thread if you already have one.
October 29, 2007 4:58:37 AM

u make me cry, im noob in overclocking. and im on budget. but here is my system that i thought of. (keep in mind that im not living in USA, so the currency exchange will make a difference for price. 1USD=3.5RM

Quad Core Q6600 - 940RM
Gigabyte P35-DS3L - 355RM
2 x Kingstone value rams 1GB - 2*90 = 180RM
Western D Sata harddisk 250GB 8MB cache - 220RM
Sony DVDWR - 120RM
8800GT (or the new ATI. lets ssume the nvidia for now) - 900RM
PSU any tier three from http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon that has 550W - 300 to 350RM
Casing no idea. but something in range of 100-200RM
LCD 19 inch range of -600/700RM.

taking account most expensive total is 3965 - (sigh my budget is 3500. i saved for almost 4 months now.)

n i looked for Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800 prices, i couldnt find any in major shops in here (malaysia). if u wanna look up tho i know im being greedy u can check the components/price list in here http://images.lowyat.net/pricelist/pczone.pdf

October 29, 2007 5:30:56 AM

It all looks good. What is that Kingston RAM model exactly. You should at least get the 667 so that you can OC to 1333FSB and get the free OC to 3G. I assume you are going with the stock cooler, not my favorite but since you are already over budget it will do. Just be sure you mount it outside the case and be careful that all of the pins lock in into the mobo firmly. You might even pick up some arctic silver 5, wipe off the stock thermal material and apply the AS5.
October 29, 2007 5:48:36 AM

sorry, i forgot to mention that in the ram. it is kingstone value rams ddr2 667.

can i OC value rams to 1333FSB without burning them out? AND. can i OC CPU with stock fans? or ill need to buy cpu can (in range 10-20USD)

BTW, i wont be the one puting the components to gether. ill let the shop to put everything. yes, i have put components by myself. but again shop pple build endless pcs. so i think they will do it better than me anyways.
October 29, 2007 6:50:45 AM

night_wolf_in said:
sorry, i forgot to mention that in the ram. it is kingstone value rams ddr2 667.

can i OC value rams to 1333FSB without burning them out? AND. can i OC CPU with stock fans? or ill need to buy cpu can (in range 10-20USD)

BTW, i wont be the one puting the components to gether. ill let the shop to put everything. yes, i have put components by myself. but again shop pple build endless pcs. so i think they will do it better than me anyways.
I see you said the RAM is on the list, then it's good. It will allow an OC to 3G/1333 no problem.

The stock heatsink is another story. $20.00 USD doesn't buy you much. You might go with the stock HS for budget purposes and maybe OC to 2.8 and check the temps under load. If it appears to be running cool enough you can go higher. Then later pick up a nice HS.

A lot depends on how well your case expels the hot air and what the room temp is. You should be able to leave the speed step enabled and remain stable with an OC at or below 3G, this will help cooling when you are not stressing the CPU. In games this will probably not kick in and your CPU will be running at the x9 multiplier and will get hotter. You just need to get CoreTemp and use it to monitor the temps while running Prime95 25.5. This will let you know if the OC is too high to be effectively cooled by the stock HS given the other parameters mentioned earlier.

Also, you may be able to lower the CPU voltage (Vcore) after you get a stable OC. I lowered mine from 1.3 to 1.275 and dropped about 11C under load. That's a lot.

If your ambient (room) temps are too high, there is no law that says you have to OC. You will still have plenty of power. Check temps and keep the CPU relatively cool, and wait to get an aftermarket HS.
October 29, 2007 9:45:04 AM

Zorg said:
I see you said the RAM is on the list, then it's good. It will allow an OC to 3G/1333 no problem.

i read the the guide to C2Q overclocking. BUT yet i dont understand ur 3G/1333. what does it mean? i know 3G means 3Ghz cpu speed. which is 9 x 333Mhz. but what do u mean with that 1333?
October 29, 2007 4:05:49 PM

night_wolf_in said:
i read the the guide to C2Q overclocking. BUT yet i dont understand ur 3G/1333. what does it mean? i know 3G means 3Ghz cpu speed. which is 9 x 333Mhz. but what do u mean with that 1333?
1333 is the effective front side bus 333 quad pumped - 333 core clock x 4 = 1332 (1333)

The ram will actually be running 667 333 double pumped - 333 core clock x 2 = 666 (667) running 1:1
November 1, 2007 4:16:02 AM

last question. will the mobo overclock the processor without frying itself? i mean the north bridge? this will be first time overclock. so bare with me. n will the mobo handle the overclocking overall?
November 1, 2007 5:00:01 AM

never mind. i have found the answer in different threads. :) 
November 1, 2007 12:21:28 PM

I can't tell you about the p35, but I got the ga-p31-ds3l and it's crap.
1) The audio drivers found on the cd were NOT correct. Nor were those found on the Gigabyte website. I had to go to the chip manufacturer's (Realtek) website and get those instead...installed without a flaw.
2) The hard drive access mode should NEVER be set to AUTO. My two hard drives (one 500GB Sata and one 300GB Pata) were SCRAMBLED and I could not read my data off them after a few minutes' usage. I had to use a specialized software to recover data from them, and the software told me to change the disk access mode because the detected disk physical parameters were different from the actual ones. You need to set LBA for drives larger than 120 GB.
3) PCI won't work on my board. Period. That's a defective motherboard but everyone wold tell you to check the power supply, update the bios, and other confusing advice just to avoid admitting the simple truth.
4) Gigabyte tech support is CRAP. They answer your emails typically in seven days and the answers are so generic and useless and preformatted.
November 1, 2007 12:25:44 PM

1743248,18,299536 said:
2) The hard drive access mode should NEVER be set to AUTO. My two hard drives (one 500GB Sata and one 300GB Pata) were SCRAMBLED and I could not read my data off them after a few minutes' usage. I had to use a specialized software to recover data from them, and the software told me to change the disk access mode because the detected disk physical parameters were different from the actual ones. You need to set LBA for drives larger than 120 GB.

what is this LBA thing? i never heard of it.
November 1, 2007 1:22:27 PM

I have the GA-P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 4 gig of OCZ plat rev 2 running at 3.33 g 24/7. GREAT mobo for the price. Yes it does not have the features of my AW9D-MAX or P5W-DH Deluxe etc, but for the price to performance, it is a good board.

simlev, On the side, if your disks are set to auto in the BIOS and you have issues, it can be one of several things, cables, bad BIOS, bad chip, bad HD controller, bad BUS...... Unless you really know what you are doing, it is best to leave it set to Auto. What was your configuration of those drives??? I can understand one with problems, but two? On different controllers? Interesting, would like to know for future.
Gigabyte is not the only one having problems with the Realtek drivers. Ditto with Asus, MSi and others, especially if you are using XP 64.

(LBA= Large Block Address)
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 148 V Motherboard
November 1, 2007 1:28:28 PM

I installed XP Pro on my GA-G33M-DS2R which has only SATA drives (optical and HDD) without incident. Supplied drivers for sound and LAN worked perfectly. I've also flashed the BIOS once to see if it would fix the board not powering up on mouse clicks like I want. No fix, but no problems with the flash either, done with the Windows utility (no floppy), with nothing else running.
The hard drive access mode should ALWAYS be set to Auto, UNLESS you've previously used the drive on an older system and had to put device drivers on it to see the whole size. Otherwise, WinXP beyond SP1 can see the whole thing without difficulty.
November 4, 2007 2:15:23 PM

@night_wolf _in
In the Bios setup under "Standard CMOS Features", select the hard drive and press Enter. Then you can set the "disk Access Mode".

@mobo57
Thanks for telling me all this. The hard drives worked well until I bought a new pc and connected them to the GA-P31-DS3L Ide controller. Same cables, same drives, same settings...NEW MOBO.

@jtt283
I'm glad you had no problems. Apart from that, I'm not saying that disk access mode shouldn't be set to auto: that's normally the correct thing to do. I'm reporting a problem I had with my new GA-P31-DS3L, which screwed up two larger-than-120GB hard drives because it failed to automatically set the disk access mode appropriately. By the way, we just bought two new hard drives and there are instructions on them that say to enter the bios and set disk access mode to LBA.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 124 V Motherboard
November 4, 2007 3:18:14 PM

If you will not miss firewire and raid the p35 DS3L is a solid board.

The only problem i have seen with it was ram compatibility...so i recommend getting something off there list. Used crucial rendition and it passes memtest and prime for 12+ hours, but it games it gives corrupt textures and even random errors and system crashes. Some equally cheap elpida ram later and its rock solid.

Note:
not all crucial rendition will be bad. Since this value ram is bought from many companies and badged crucial sometimes you get crucials own ram or even elpida. But they have something that did not like that board on the last sticks I tried....
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 148 V Motherboard
November 5, 2007 8:46:39 AM

What OS were you installing?
November 5, 2007 2:10:33 PM

Onus said:
What OS were you installing?

ill be installing xp sp2. vista to this day didnt prove to be good enough with DX10 games.

nukemaster said:
If you will not miss firewire and raid the p35 DS3L is a solid board.

The only problem i have seen with it was ram compatibility...so i recommend getting something off there list. Used crucial rendition and it passes memtest and prime for 12+ hours, but it games it gives corrupt textures and even random errors and system crashes. Some equally cheap elpida ram later and its rock solid.

Note:
not all crucial rendition will be bad. Since this value ram is bought from many companies and badged crucial sometimes you get crucials own ram or even elpida. But they have something that did not like that board on the last sticks I tried....

yeah, i checked their QVL. n the ram i want to get is off that list. so hopefully it shouldnt be a problem.

P.S for a

Quad Core Q6600 -
Gigabyte P35-DS3L -
2 x Kingstone value rams DDR2 667 1GB
Western D Sata harddisk 250GB 8MB cache
Sony DVDWR -
8800GT (or the new ATI. lets ssume the nvidia for now) -
thermalright 120 ultra extream -

ill get a PSU of tier 2 or tier 3 from http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon but will 500 watts psu will be enough? keep in mind ill overclock my processor to 3Ghz.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 124 V Motherboard
November 5, 2007 2:35:53 PM

a good 500 should be able to handle it just fine....
November 11, 2007 7:44:40 PM

alright, so i couldnt change PIC CLOCK Syncr, nor did i find Spread Spectrum to change it.

anyways. my overclock look something like this-----during turtore test

1- so, is it alright?

2- what is vcore2, n why is it so high? (i dont remmeber finding it anywhere).

3- i didnt change/add voltage for my rams, so they are running in defualts? which is 1.8? (question is, the mobo wont change that value with the overclocking by itself, right?)

4- n why the other voltages shown in speedfan looks crazy? or they are fine?

its being running for 2 hrs now. n it is still stable. im glad.
November 11, 2007 9:53:24 PM

It looks good. The temps are a little warm for that HS, but not bad. Set the PCIe on the MIT page from auto to 100. I think that mobo will increase the RAM voltage with your OC if it is set to auto. If it is stable then I would leave the settings where they are with the exception of the PCIe to 100. Ignore the other voltages in speed fan. I like Core Temp mentioned earlier.

Congratulations!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 124 V Motherboard
November 12, 2007 1:39:56 AM

Vcore2 is the ram voltage....

Also note the new speedfan beta shows the temps right(no 15c offset needed anymore) and does not end up randomly showing all cores the same....(in my case they all showed as the lowest core)
November 12, 2007 4:00:51 AM

nukemaster said:

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8034/speedfan6600tt4.gif

Also note the new speedfan beta shows the temps right(no 15c offset needed anymore) and does not end up randomly showing all cores the same....(in my case they all showed as the lowest core)

im glad. so it means that my ram voltage didnt increase automatically. i used both core temp and speed fan to verify my heating results.

Zorg said:
It looks good. The temps are a little warm for that HS, but not bad. Set the PCIe on the MIT page from auto to 100. I think that mobo will increase the RAM voltage with your OC if it is set to auto. If it is stable then I would leave the settings where they are with the exception of the PCIe to 100. Ignore the other voltages in speed fan. I like Core Temp mentioned earlier.

Congratulations!

will, guess what, i ended up buying the zalman 9700NT. (which was used by tomshardware later on for overclocking). why? coz the damn thermalright brand was out of stock n if what the shop keeper said is true they having limited stock in the whole country (malaysia). damn

yes, i did set PCIe to 100. n if u saw up in this post, it didnt increase the RAM voltage. thanks tons. i DID IT...

now next mission, overclocking the graphics card. lol

p.s im a noob, im happy to have done this. :) 
November 12, 2007 11:42:22 AM

night_wolf_in said:
now next mission, overclocking the graphics card. lol
Be very careful with the VGA OC, you can fry your card pretty easily. Do some research before you start. You may also need an aftermarket cooler for your VGA.
November 12, 2007 11:48:09 AM

nukemaster said:

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8034/speedfan6600tt4.gif

Interesting. I have to admit I stopped using it when I got the erroneous readings with the older version. Still we get the bad readings on the -12 and -5. They could be real or they could be the board in either way I can't rely on them. Don't get me wrong all the other programs I have looked at give the same strange readings. It's probably the mobo. I guess I'll give it another try anyway.

Thanks for the Vcore 2 info., they probably should rename it RAM. :lol: 
November 12, 2007 12:40:23 PM

Zorg said:
Be very careful with the VGA OC, you can fry your card pretty easily. Do some research before you start. You may also need an aftermarket cooler for your VGA.

yeah, ill do that. i wont overclock this week. maybe after 1-2 month time. ill get aftgermarket cooler, n use ravetuner. i already have a tutorial n how to use it. so yeah, i dont do hasty things.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 124 V Motherboard
November 13, 2007 12:32:41 AM

Zorg said:
Interesting. I have to admit I stopped using it when I got the erroneous readings with the older version. Still we get the bad readings on the -12 and -5. They could be real or they could be the board in either way I can't rely on them. Don't get me wrong all the other programs I have looked at give the same strange readings. It's probably the mobo. I guess I'll give it another try anyway.

Thanks for the Vcore 2 info., they probably should rename it RAM. :lol: 

for you :p 
November 16, 2007 9:48:41 PM

buy it!!1
April 3, 2008 6:00:48 PM

So this board is good for Overclocking? Say an E8400?
April 3, 2008 11:02:48 PM

Great overclocker. I am using this board with an e2160 and running it at 3ghz on stock air and never get over 54 degree c with prime 95 running 8 hours.
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2008 11:45:52 PM

Buy it! I have used this board in about 9 builds and all are rock stable. I use one personally too.

The only problem that you will run in to with the P35-DS3x/DS4 boards are with RAM rated natively higher than DDR2 800 (ie Crucial Ballastix DDR2 1066). Many users have experienced problems with RAM higher than native DDR2 800, but not when DDR2 800 is OCed to the same level.
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2008 11:46:08 PM

ap90033 said:
So this board is good for Overclocking? Say an E8400?

Yes
April 6, 2008 5:12:09 AM

1 of my computers use this Gigabyte mainboard, it is stable and with good performance and with full Solid Capacitor. Even I disabled the EIST on the BIOS and the also disabled the energy saving in my Windows XP, this system can easily overclocking for ~35% for both CPU speed, RAM speed and FSB is keep stable condition. It would be a good choice for you if you are not planning to use Raid function of ICH9R.
April 6, 2008 6:24:31 AM

Agrees with Shadow...BUY IT!As my Sig shows i am running the board and it seeems rock solid , no issues and all i can say is that the Northbridge gets damn hot , but from what i heard all p35 based boards are like that.
April 6, 2008 8:40:33 AM

wow, who brought this thread from the dead. i bought it LONG TIME AGO. lol. n it is running just fine. :) 
April 7, 2008 3:15:26 AM

I've got 4 Gb of Crucial Ballistix 8500 and a P35-DS3L coming in very soon. Do problems only show up when OCing or are the two just incapatible? Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2008 10:19:28 PM

^ Like I said before with RAM rated natively higher than DDR2 800 (ie Crucial Ballastix DDR2 1066). Many users have experienced problems with RAM higher than native DDR2 800, but not when DDR2 800 is OCed to the same level. This seems to be a problem with many of the P35-DS3x and DS4x boards but not all.
April 9, 2008 6:40:39 AM

Personally I wouldn't buy any Gigabyte board if you plan to do any overclocking. I've been a big fan of Gigabyte boards over the past 3 years, but my last three boards over the past few months have left me completely unable to do any kind of O/C, after trying multiple cpus, hardware, and memory types. Gigabyte techsupport has been extremely unhelpful in the matter.
If you want a good board with no plan to O/C, Gigabyte boards may be a completely reliable choice for the time being. Personally, unless Gigabyte fixes things, my next board will be a different brand.
April 11, 2008 6:06:36 PM

Would you recommend completly replacing the NB cooler say if you wanted to go over 400Mhz + on the FSB (as in the case if you really wanted to push a 8400) or would putting a fan over take care of it. I'm trying to read my NB temps and I have everest and hardware monitor but not sure exactly which temp is the NB.
April 11, 2008 8:33:41 PM

partyman973 said:
Great overclocker. I am using this board with an e2160 and running it at 3ghz on stock air and never get over 54 degree c with prime 95 running 8 hours.

i've the same specs but can't OC
ga-p35-ds3L
e1260
2gb kingston HyperX 800mhz 2.0v 4-4-4-12
MSI 8800GTS 512

can you post your M.I.T. settings?
everytime i increase or decrease by ONE (201 fsb or 199 fsb) when i save&restart the system boots with the default fsb of 200.

i'm stuck at 1.8Ghz.. i wan't at least 9x300
April 23, 2008 10:39:19 PM

on newegg this board has 5 eggs with over 1000 reviews. I just bought one.

Can always be returned, but the reviews say great board, durable board, excellent value for the most part.
April 25, 2008 6:54:38 AM

Good board so far.
!