Monitor problem after installing new power supply

lojsve

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Greetings,

I am not familiar with the technical aspects of a motherboard and I am stumped with a problem!

I was given an HP Pavilion 4450 computer that would not turn on. I thought it would be worth checking the power supply and if it worked, I would let my 5 year old play pre-school games on it. The power supply in it was an ATX100-5. I purchased what was described as an ATX100-5 on eBay, but received an MICRO ATX (275W - 12V) power supply by Kenwell Electronics. (They claim it is a replacement power supply for the ATX100-5)

I connected it to the motherboard according to the manual for the Asus MEB-VM motherboard but when I power on the computer, the motherboard stays on but the monitor will click on for about a second but then turns off. I have tried this with two different monitors with the same results.

I am only connecting 4 of the power supply connectors: the motherboard, the hard drive, the slave drive and the floppy drive. There are two other connectors on the power supply but the MEB-VM manual doesn't say anything about connecting them or where to connect them, though one of them is a four pin connector that says "HP Video Power". I just don't see a four pin connection on the motherboard for it.

I don't know where to go from here, so I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Thanks!

John

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
sorry to say, when the original ps died, it probably took your mobo with it.

you do say you tested the mobo with 2 different monitors, that will rule out a coincendental monitor failure as well.

dont worry about the extra connectors on the PS, if you dont have a place for them they are ok to leave disconnected.

try this:

disconnect all power plugs EXCEPT those going to the mobo. Disconnect the floppy cable, and IDE cable(s). remove all addon cards EXCEPT video (if it has a seperate card). see if it will post now. if so, connect one peripheral at a time (hdd, floppy, cd, ect, cards) when you plug one in and it dont work, that one is bad