So is a single 7200.12 better than a Raptor?

Just brainstorming here,

Is it a better idea to get a 7200.12? I want good bang for buck when it comes to HD performance. Size doesn't really matter to me, I only play TF2 and surf the web and listen to pandora.com, openoffice, etc.

Still trying to research cheap SSD alternatives like CF with a Sata or IDE adapter, I just can't get a straight answer from anywhere. If anyone who's good at that sort of thing wants give me advice on that, that's be cool too.
14 answers Last reply
More about single 7200 raptor
  1. Considering .12's dont exist no they wont be better than a raptor.

Raptors are still nice for seek times but not much else, youd be best off with a 7200.11 (these exist) at about 400-500gb mark and youll get alot more value for money.
  2. OH jeez I coudln't remember off the top of my head whether it was .11 or .12
    thanks tho
  3. Funny, I was about to flame Chookman when I saw the date...

now that the 7200.12s are a reality and have suspected 160MB/s transfer rates, the bang for the buck is definitely there now...haha
  4. A reality? Where? Seagate's website doesn't list it.
  5. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148377

They've been out for about a week now, still a pretty unnecessary gravedig.
  6. Interesting. I wonder why it isn't on Seagate's website yet...
  7. i thought all that mattered was...

Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Capacity 500GB
    RPM 7200 RPM
    Cache 16MB

^
    those numbers, what is the .11 and .12's do they make a difference, or just a newer series.
  8. The .12's are newer, therefore they are faster.

Specifically, they have higher areal density.
  9. I have a Seagate Barracuda ES.2 250GB. It runs 7200 rpm and has a 32 meg buffer. It comes in 500gb and 750gb versions too. I love this hard drive. It is very fast durable and quiet. I have gotten read speeds of around 87mb/s. It was made to run in servers so you know its gotta be tough. I got mine from cdw but newegg has them as well. Take a look.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/compare.aspx
  10. cjl said:
    The .12's are newer, therefore they are faster.

Specifically, they have higher areal density.

Yeah like 500gb per platter :D
  11. Despite the lower 16mb cache the 7200.12's do have one 500gb platter compared to a 250gb(I think) platter. This will have a larger impact even though it has half of the chache.
  12. Just got one on newegg, extremely fast. Makes me happy. Almost silent!

Mah newz bayst friend :love:
  13. I got (2) 7200.12 and set them up in RAID 0.

HDTach in Vista 64:
    Average Read: 211 MB/s
    Burst: 263 MB/s

Average read in the first 500GB of the RAID was around 230 MB/s.

I didn't test single drive speed, but all the reviews seem to be getting 107 MB/s in HDTach.

Other points... this drive runs cool, fast, and extremely quiet (I never here them). I highly recommend the Seagate 7200.12 series!
  14. MikeD096 said:
    I got (2) 7200.12 and set them up in RAID 0.

HDTach in Vista 64:
    Average Read: 211 MB/s
    Burst: 263 MB/s

Average read in the first 500GB of the RAID was around 230 MB/s.

I didn't test single drive speed, but all the reviews seem to be getting 107 MB/s in HDTach.

Other points... this drive runs cool, fast, and extremely quiet (I never here them). I highly recommend the Seagate 7200.12 series!

Miked, may I just ask what RAID controller you are using for those speeds. I have hooked up Raid-0 on a new pair of 7200.12's and am getting no where near those speeds. ~170mb/s max, burst of about the same too, admittedly performance across the 1Tb is good (i.e. flat and consistent) but I was a little disappointed (NVidia 630i Chipset) considering my Hitachi 7k1000.b has transfers of 120-80 and has a burst speed of 240mb/s

Regards,

Ian
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Raptor Storage Product