Sign in with
Your question

[Display & Nvidia] Setting up Custom Low WideScreen Resolutions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2007 6:59:59 PM

I've recently purchased a Samsung Syncmaster 226bw 22". The native widescreen resolution (1680 * 1050) is obviously the best resolution to use. Unfortunately many games play much better at 75hz and therefore i prefer to use a lower resolution. The game I mostly play is Counterstrike Source, which supports widescreen modes.

Now the only widescreen resolution supported by windows and CSS is the native one, 1680 * 1050. I'd like to use a lower resolution that keeps the 16:10 aspect ratio. Is there any way i could create a custom resolution that's low but that also keeps the 16:10 aspect ratio, such as 768 * 480 or 800 * 500? This way i could keep a 75hz refresh rate and still play widescreen.

My gfx card is a 8800 GTS.

Thanks for any help
October 20, 2007 8:06:03 PM

disable v-sync and use native resolution
a c 266 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 20, 2007 8:11:41 PM

If I am not mistaken, most all lcd's, including Samsung, operate at 60hz. Don't worry, though, unlike crt monitors, there is no flickering image problem at 60hz, because the display is not always regenerated. Use the native resolution for best results if you can.
Related resources
October 20, 2007 8:22:01 PM

I don't use vsync and i've been using the native resolution for awhile. But the performance at native resolution isin't always the best, and i prefer to play at a very low resolution and with 75hz (game play's alot better). Alot of the crosshair and other settings look alot better on lower resolution. Is there a way to use a smaller resolution but that still uses the normal widescreen ratio (16:10)?
October 20, 2007 8:49:00 PM

Okay i managed to use nvidia's custom resolution to create a custom one, but are there any drawbacks to using this? If it works alright does that mean its safe?
October 20, 2007 10:04:36 PM

Why the hell do you even want to do that? its mad. who cares for 75hz when uv got crap graphics lol.
October 20, 2007 10:55:18 PM

I thought increasing the refresh on an LCD screen from it's factory 60Hz to any higher actually caused damage to the screen? I could be wrong, but I believe I read it from someone here that has credibility (Can't remember who), oh well, Screens are not my forte, but one thing I know is that it's horrible to lower your resolution on LCDs as far as quality is concerned.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2007 12:20:25 AM

Most lcds can handle input between 60 and 75 hz. This doesn't mean they actually use it. Frames above 60hz just get dropped. I wonder if there is a way to test this?

If you're not using a digital connector, for instance D-sub 15, images will be much blurrier (varying from monitor to monitor) when not running at 60 hz.

Some dlps can update at 120hz for 3d, but I don't see this working on an lcd/plasma. 60hz translates into updates every 17ms, while 75hz would be 13ms.

!