New system not booting

david9991

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Hello there,

I just spent the last few hours assembling a brand new system, the parts I bought were the following:

Case: Antec P182
PSU: Corsair VX450 450W
Ram: 2x 800mhz Corsair 1GB sticks.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with stock fan
Hard drives: 2x 500GB Western Digital drives
Video Card: eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb

The installation went fairly smooth for the most part, as I am not all that experienced with assembling computers aside from installing new cards, ram and hard drives, I did a bunch of research on the motherboard and cpu installation. It was with those two parts where I may have messed up a bit, which may be causing my issues, but I will get back to that later.

I basically plugged my computer into my old 19" CRT monitor, which only has a VGA plug, so I needed to use a DVI adapter to plug it into my video card. When I flip the power switch, the fans will start, but nothing will be displayed on the monitor, it will simply stay in standby mode. I let the system run for a few seconds and then I turned it off when nothing happened. I decided to try again with the case open, and what I saw was that all the fans, except for the CPU fan turn on when I turn on the system. When I turn off the power, the CPU fan will start moving for a second or so and then come to a stop after a couple seconds, which struck me as weird behaviour.

I am suspecting a motherboard failure, and perhaps a CPU failure as well. I kind of doubt it is a PSU issue since the other fans turn on fine, although I am no expert. What baffles me is why the CPU fan will start spinning for a second after I turn off the power.

The problem is that my case seems to have no PC speaker, so I am not hearing any beeps at all, be they normal or error beeps.

Now, I am going to get back to my little mishap during the assembly. I installed the motherboard into the case, put the CPU into the socket, so far, so good. But I ran into some issues with the CPU fan, 3 of the pins would go down, but the fourth would not go down no matter what. I struggled for 15 minutes or so, trying to be very careful as to not apply too much pressure, but nope, that last pin would not go down. I ended up taking the fan out and seating it back on a couple times, and finally I managed to get all four pins down, but I did apply pressure which felt like a little bit too much pressure at the time, so I was quite worried. It also seems that I may have bent the motherboard slightly with the pressure I applied, as it seems to be somewhat closer to the back of the case around the CPU fan area than other areas of the motherboard if I run my finger along the edge of the motherboard.

So, what do you think? Did I kill my motherboard, my CPU, or both of them? Or is this problem unrelated to those and my little mishap with the assembly?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance. Let me know if you need more information.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Did you plug in the 4pin power for the cpu? The mainboard takes either a 20 or 24 pin and the cpu need its own 4pin also. Your card has a power plug to I think, not sure I dont have an 8800.

david9991

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply, I feel incredibly stupid now, the video card power cable was plugged in, but the CPU one was not :)

Thanks a ton! You really made my day as I thought I was going to have to work overtime to pay off a new motherboard and CPU.

TRENDING THREADS