Motherboard for AMD Phenom?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Motherboards
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
October 9, 2007 1:06:59 AM

im upgrading my computer soon and i was thinking of getting a ASUS AM2 Motherboard and a AMD 6000 ( because i dont plan on overclocking and in some benchmacrks it keeps up with the e6600-e6700 and its only $160 ) but i was wondering. i heard that the new amd core duo chips named Phenom are coming out and that i can just replace the 6000 with that later on down the road. is that true? or am i gonna have to get a whole new motherboard.

some advice please :D 

More about : motherboard amd phenom

October 9, 2007 6:33:46 AM

Most AM2 motherboards should be compatible with Phenom X2 and X4 CPUs once a BIOS update is released. So, yes, you can upgrade from an X2 6000+ AM2 CPU to a Phenom processor.

October 9, 2007 8:55:39 AM

Yip - as Bitrate says most of the newer AM2 boards will just require a quick bios update to be compatible with the new amazing phenoms. Make sure that you just go to the manufacturers site and check for future compatibility. I have a Crossfire board and I made sure that it was before I purchased it. Nice CPU/board choice by the way. It will own for ages, and its cheap in comparison to the performance it puts out - just like mine :) 
Related resources
October 10, 2007 6:09:00 AM

anyone using am2 older mobo's please post your experience - with barcie TY
October 10, 2007 8:49:17 PM

NezaH said:
im upgrading my computer soon and i was thinking of getting a ASUS AM2 Motherboard and a AMD 6000 ( because i dont plan on overclocking and in some benchmacrks it keeps up with the e6600-e6700 and its only $160 ) but i was wondering. i heard that the new amd core duo chips named Phenom are coming out and that i can just replace the 6000 with that later on down the road. is that true? or am i gonna have to get a whole new motherboard.

some advice please :D 

And that's where I quit reading...
October 10, 2007 9:21:13 PM

Lol.Give him a break...Some of my customers still refer the pc without monitor as "cpu" and some calls the cpu itself as Pentium Core 2 Duo (it was Pentium D though)
!