autora

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster...

I bought a pre-built system by OCUK (and regretting it) which has had some problems (we think with the motherboard.) I am confused about one thing though (it's been going back to shop for repairs)...

The mboard is the Abit IP35 Pro and I have it set up with 2 150Gb raptors in Raid 0 on the mboards Intel ICH9R.

The last time they did a "repair" and sent it back to me they said that they had to replace the motherboard (in fact they said they had gone through 2 boards) while fixing it.

I read the FAQ thread about changing Controllers without reinstalling Windows, but it seems this wouldn't really be possible using the onboard RAID controller.

The thing is that my OS install is still intact on the HDs. I thought that you couldn't do this with a RAID set of drives? (ie. move them from one raid controller to another) and have the drives data intact. Am I wrong?

Basically I'm trying to work out if they really did swap my mboard (next time I will note down serial numbers.)

Thanks in advance,
- autora

autora

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
EDIT: ok silly newbie me missed the point that "Thread" textbox would mean "Title" and now it won't let me edit the post - i'm an idiot.

Anyway title should read something more like :
"Changing ABit mboard while using ICH9R Controller" on the off chance a nice moderator reads this and could change the title for me.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The RAID array isn't "signed" by the exact instance of RAID controller, any compatible controller would be able to read the array back. If they changed your MB to any other using ICH9R, it should work just fine. I think that even different Intel controllers were inter-compatible like ICH8R and ICH9R.

Does that answers your question?

TRENDING THREADS