Video card sub-brands

tkpb938

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
This is just a general question that I've been wondering about for a while. When buying a video card is there a quality difference between different sub-videocard brands such as PNY, EVGA, XFX etc. The reason I ask, is that back in the day when I was still new to computer modding/upgrading, I bought a Diamond radeon 128mb vid card. In theory it should have supported at least simple games such as warcraft 3, but whenever I ran any gpu intensive program it crashed.

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Yes there is a difference in brand names. Some offer lifetime warrantys others do not. Evga and XFX are my favorites. Evga has a step up program. So if you buy an Evga card within 90 days you could upgrade to a new gen card and pay the difference instead of buying a new one.

tkpb938

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I mean like a difference in hardware. Maybe thats a stupid question, but my experience seemed to indicate that "generic" brand cards have worse quality. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

bliq

Distinguished
each of the brands are relatively free to follow the reference design or change several parameters. The key is that they need to find a way to differentiate themselves so they're more attractive than their competitors.

some add game and utility bundles, some do factory overclocking, some use fancier cooling or passive cooling, some do different warranties, and some do cheaper reference designs.

With this many variables, there are certainly differences in performance and reliability between brands who stick to the reference design vs. adding modified hardware.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Never Ever get a sub brand GPU...ever.
did I mention NEVER?

PSU maybe, Case definately if the price/performance is alright, but a GPU or CPU or RAM or HDD or Mobo (remember SOYO...crap!) NEVER.

Sub brands=poor quality parts, rejected chips and ram modules from better brands.