Sign in with
Your question

Horrible 3dmark06 scores. Bad gpu or something else

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2007 3:56:21 AM

Hi everyone, was hoping someone might be able to help me here. Just built a new gaming rig (q6600, x38 asus p5e 8800gtx, 4gigs ddr.) Loaded up wow to see how it ran, and noticed when things were moving fast things looked a little choppy. I tried a few different drivers, updated direct x, updated the monitors drivers, reseated the card, tried new pci cables, nothing helped

Started to get some artifacting too, so i dl 3dmark 06 to run some tests.

Below is the result details of your submitted project.
Main Test Results
3DMark Score 3429 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 1255 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 1225 Marks
CPU Score 3452 Marks

Detailed Test Results

Graphics Tests
1 - Return to Proxycon 10.363 FPS
2 - Firefly Forest 10.558 FPS

CPU Tests
CPU1 - Red Valley 1.143 FPS
CPU2 - Red Valley 1.668 FPS

HDR Tests
1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 10.571 FPS
2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 13.92 FPS

Now obviously somethings very wrong here. I should be scoring at or over 10k with this setup. Judging by the scores I assume the gpu is defective, but before I go through the hassle of a coast to coast RMA with newegg is there something I'm missing? If anyone thinks there may be another reason for this other than defective hardware I'd appreciate any suggestions. thanks in advance.
October 21, 2007 4:07:23 AM

Looks like the gpu.
With a 8600GT-4957

October 21, 2007 4:21:49 AM

Do a Fraps FPS test with Doom3 or something similar just to double check. You should get 60FPS min and max. Or if you hack the code (simple just google it) you will get past the 60FPS barrier.

If you are still at crappy FPS, then it is the GPU for sure.

Use Riva tuner and GPU-z just to double check if everything is being recognized correctly.

Ciao.
Related resources
a c 171 U Graphics card
October 21, 2007 5:01:56 AM

I agree that the problem is with the GPU, but I do have one question first. What PSU are you using to power all this highend hardware with? If its a substandard 500W PSU, the card won't have the power to run. (double check to make sure that the power plug is in...) If the power does check out, then RMA the GPU, as it should be a LOT higher.
October 21, 2007 5:24:44 AM

Artifacts and slow speed...that had to be the vidcard, I doubt the PSU can cause those problems. The game should only crash if the PSU doesn't supply enough power.
October 21, 2007 5:34:45 AM

The video card will run at sub-par performance without enough power...I know from experience.

The artifacts, however, and not a result of power problems.

You should tell us what your PSU is before acting. If you do RMA, do it through the manufacturer of the video card, not newegg.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2007 8:59:32 AM

You also have an X38 board which is basically a version 1.0 product.
October 21, 2007 11:02:24 AM

I'm sorry, I should have listed the psu from the begginning. I'm using a silverstone strider 850W psu. 35A each on 2 12v rails, so I dont think its a power issue.

Quote:

Yeah that's what has me questioning things. Normally Id be certain it was the gpu with those symptoms, but having a new board with an immature bios I'm not sure if the problem could somehow be with the board and not the card. Like maybe the pci-e slot wasn't working properly. Switching to the other slot isnt really an option due to the 8800s huge size and the layout of the motherboard so I don't know of any other way to check that things are working properly.

The only thing worse than having to RMA the card and be without a pc for a week+ while waiting for shipping,would be to go through all that and end up having the same problem. Anyway, thank you for all your replies, I appreciate the help. I guess I'll go ahead with the RMA and hope for the best.
October 21, 2007 11:43:13 AM

GPU for sure, those CPU scores are normal. I am beginning to wonder if it is worth ordering stuff from online anymore. If you need to RMA it is a real hassle, and this is some pretty expensive stuff.

The shipping costs seem to wreck the deal. Getting a CPU offline it is a gamble what stepping you get too. Well, hang in there till you get replacements if that is the case...
October 21, 2007 11:45:06 AM

GPU for sure, those CPU scores are normal. I am beginning to wonder if it is worth ordering stuff from online anymore. If you need to RMA it is a real hassle, and this is some pretty expensive stuff.

The shipping costs seem to wreck the deal. Getting a CPU offline it is a gamble what stepping you get too. Well, hang in there till you get replacements if that is the case...
October 21, 2007 11:49:35 AM

a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2007 11:51:37 AM

You might also try pulling half the ram to see what that does. If your are running 4x1gb, that can be problematic occasionally. You might also have a flaky module somewhere. You could run Memtest, and also do the 1 stick at a time test if needed. If all that checks out, you might try tweaking the ram voltage in BIOS.
October 21, 2007 6:26:17 PM

grifter33 said:
I'm sorry, I should have listed the psu from the begginning. I'm using a silverstone strider 850W psu. 35A each on 2 12v rails, so I dont think its a power issue.

Quote:

Yeah that's what has me questioning things. Normally Id be certain it was the gpu with those symptoms, but having a new board with an immature bios I'm not sure if the problem could somehow be with the board and not the card. Like maybe the pci-e slot wasn't working properly. Switching to the other slot isnt really an option due to the 8800s huge size and the layout of the motherboard so I don't know of any other way to check that things are working properly.

The only thing worse than having to RMA the card and be without a pc for a week+ while waiting for shipping,would be to go through all that and end up having the same problem. Anyway, thank you for all your replies, I appreciate the help. I guess I'll go ahead with the RMA and hope for the best.

RMA IT THROUGH THE MANUFACTURER.
a c 259 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 21, 2007 7:33:40 PM

The 8800GTX requires that you plug in two additional power connectors into the card. Is it possible that this was not done, or that one of the PSU connectors was faulty?
October 21, 2007 7:56:33 PM

I'll bet you are running Vista, too ...
!