Unable to get address for directxsgetversion

Cactusman

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Hi everyone!

Got a good one:

I try to install SimCity4 on my 2.4 Ghz P4 (512MB RAM and nvidia
GeForce FX 5200) but get a "Unable to get address for
directxsgetversion" message. I just can't get past this. The Maxis
tech support guy made sure I have the most current video drivers and
directx but was not able to come up with a suggestion. I also have a
WinTV card (PVR350) installed.

Anyone got any ideas????

"Cactusman" <tblemur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone!
>
> Got a good one:
>
> I try to install SimCity4 on my 2.4 Ghz P4 (512MB RAM and nvidia
> GeForce FX 5200) but get a "Unable to get address for
> directxsgetversion" message. I just can't get past this. The Maxis
> tech support guy made sure I have the most current video drivers and
> directx but was not able to come up with a suggestion. I also have a
> WinTV card (PVR350) installed.
>
> Anyone got any ideas????

This is from the WinXP help and support center. I understand that you know
you have the latest version but this will tell you if all the DirectX files
are installed or corrupted.
Are all necessary DirectX files installed?
If necessary DirectX files are missing, you might encounter problems when
you run games or multimedia programs.

To verify that all DirectX files are installed:
1) Click Start, and then click Run.
2) In the Open box, type: dxdiag
3) Click OK.
4) Click the DirectX Files tab, and then look in the Notes box. If all
DirectX files are present and undamaged, the Notes box reports "No problems
found".

If the diagnostic tool reports that any files are missing or damaged,
install the latest version of DirectX from Windows Update. To go to the
Windows Update Web site, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click
Windows Update.

HTH,
Chris Johnson

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

> I try to install SimCity4 on my 2.4 Ghz P4 (512MB RAM and nvidia
> GeForce FX 5200) but get a "Unable to get address for
> directxsgetversion" message. I just can't get past this. The Maxis
> tech support guy made sure I have the most current video drivers and
> directx but was not able to come up with a suggestion. I also have a
> WinTV card (PVR350) installed.

Does that happen with other games that use DirectX?
Have you tried installing DirectX again?