Sony KDF-60XS955 Problem random loss of signals with cable..

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 18, 2005 10:23:14 AM

Several months ago I bought a Sony KDF-60XS955. The set has developed a
problem that causes it to not be able to receive several channels at
times, with the black screen displaying "no signal"

I am using a cable card with Cox Cable. I also have an over the air
antenna which receives local HDTV broadcasts.

Originally suspecting the cable co. hardware, I have had several cable
cards replaced, and that didn't solve the problem.

Sometimes a transmission will suddenly go black and "no signal" will
appear on the black screen. At other times there will be no sound with
a good picture.
The problem can usually be solved by turning the tv off and on again,
but it can re-occur while watching broadcast. (most of the times at
critical times of a plot) :)

Another thing I've noticed is that if the HD Network (eg NBC or ABC)
cable transmission signal is not being received and I switch the remote
to the over the air (antenna) equivalent station isn't either. The
other tv's on the cable have no problems.
It looks like this is a Sony problem, and I was wondering if it is a
known problem that others have had.
Thanks for any help or comments!
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:22:38 PM

Art & Mack,
Thanks for your replies!
I will call Sony to have this checked out, but want to do my homework
before I call Sony.
I am not familiar with the Q box.
Is that a separate tuner built into the XS specifically designed to
work with a cable card?
What other hints are there that it might be a Q Box problem with the
Sony?

I have had occasional signal dropouts or pixelization problems with the
cable box before, but not as many.

Art: Are you a tech familiar with the XS series?
if so is this is a common problem with the first generation of cable
cards or a problem with the Sony. Mack's experience tends to back this,
but then again this Q box might be the real problem

Mack: Did your problems end when you went back to the box?

Thanks again for your help guys

Jim

Mack McKinnon wroteQ :
> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p _mdnRLn2_gmnfnfRVn-ig@comcast.com...
> > Question?? Have either of you had SONY Service checkout your
respective
> > teles? Or try another Q_Box "AKA Cable Card Tuner" in your set??
May I
> > presume that you have also tried more than just one cable card from
your
> > supplier to make sure it may not be card or signal related.
>
> Can't speak for the other guy, but I had SEARS service check out the
TV
> (they hold the extended warranty and do the service for SONY). They
were
> the ones who acquired the firmware upgrade from Sony set that I
installed.
> I tried 2 cablecards in all.
>
> Personally, I never had any problem with OTA stations and did not
find that
> my OTA reception related to the cablecard reception problems in any
way.

> Time-Warner Cable here readily admits that they are not yet able to
provide
> very good service to cablecards, calls the technology very early
stage and
> says Time-Warner engineers are working with Scientific Atlanta and
the TV
> set manufacturers to iron out problems. So they say.
>
> I don't understand your second question.
>
> mack
> austin
>

> >> RE: Austin: Probably not signal related but either card or Q_Box
related.
> >> Just a question as to what diagnostics have actually been done on
the
> >> equipment inclusive of the teles?
> > "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com>
wrote in
> > message news:joQ8e.9917$h6.4385@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> >> Yeah, just about every problem you talk about here with your Sony
955 and
> >> the cablecard signal I have also had, in slightly different form,
with my
> >> 955 and the cablecard signal from Time-Warner Cable in Austin.
After a
> >> couple of months, we finally threw in the towel on cablecard and
went
> >> with a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD-DVR cable box. Huge
improvement, in
> >> every way! No more loss of signal, 2-way service with the cable
company
> >> if we want it, a program guide and a 2-tuner DVR that, even with a
few
> >> irritating quirks, records HD beautifully, just like the original.
> >>
> >> We had two kinds of cablecard dropouts: "Cable Card Error 161-6",
which
> >> required one of two things to fix, either re-seat the CC (turn off
TV,
> >> pull card, put back in, turn TV back on) or let the set re-find
all the
> >> digital channels (takes forever). The frequency of that seemed to
lower
> >> after I installed a firmware upgrade for the TV set (ask about
that for
> >> your set). The other variety of dropout was just a sudden freeze
and
> >> go-to-black of cablecard signal for all the "HD Tier" extra
stations,
> >> HBOHD and sometimes other stations, but not always. Often, the
local HD
> >> channels would continue without any problem.
> >>
> >> Time-Warner worked on the problem and we went through a couple of
cards
> >> but we still got dropouts. They said there were just problems
getting
> >> the cable company's computers, the cablecards, the TV sets, etc.
all to
> >> work together. First generation technology. Hey, that's what they
say.
> >> They also say that engineers representing various interests are
trying to
> >> work out problems. And that Panasonic TV sets seem to work best
with the
> >> cc system TW uses.
> >>
> >> Bottom line, with the box -- get the 8300 DVR if you can -- your
> >> experience will be MUCH enhanced for a few extra dollars a month.
It
> >> hooks up to the 955 via HDMI cable, if you want, btw. And has
optical
> >> digital OUT for your receiver, so you send good digital audio out
for all
> >> channels. AND -- the SD picture through it is as good as it was
with
> >> cablecard.
> >>
> >> Great picture with this set, don't you think? We love it. But
did you
> >> ever try to get "live color" in "Advanced" video settings to work?
When
> >> I set that to ON, it fills all the light areas with dark,
squirming
> >> worms. The set came that way from the factory and I had to find
the
> >> problem and turn it off. That's the only significant problem I
have ever
> >> had with it and, since the "live color demo" doesn't appear to add

> >> anything I can actually see anyway (except for the worms), it's
not
> >> really significant.
> >>
> >> mack
> >> austin
> >>

> >> <mouln@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ABC)
The

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:22:57 PM

> [...]

> >> digital OUT for your receiver, so you send good digital audio out
for all
> >> channels. AND -- the SD picture through it is as good as it was
with
> >> cablecard.
> >>
> >> Great picture with this set, don't you think? We love it. But
did you
> >> ever try to get "live color" in "Advanced" video settings to work?
When
> >> I set that to ON, it fills all the light areas with dark,
squirming
> >> worms. The set came that way from the factory and I had to find
the
> >> problem and turn it off. That's the only significant problem I
have ever
> >> had with it and, since the "live color demo" doesn't appear to add

> >> anything I can actually see anyway (except for the worms), it's

April 18, 2005 7:30:23 PM

> [...]

> antenna which receives local HDTV broadcasts.
>
> Originally suspecting the cable co. hardware, I have had several cable
> cards replaced, and that didn't solve the problem.
>
> Sometimes a transmission will suddenly go black and "no signal" will
> appear on the black screen. At other times there will be no sound with
> a good picture.
> The problem can usually be solved by turning the tv off and on again,
> but it can re-occur while watching broadcast. (most of the times at
> critical times of a plot) :)
>
> Another thing I've noticed is that if the HD Network (eg NBC or ABC)
> cable transmission signal is not being received and I switch the remote
> to the over the air (antenna) equivalent station isn't either. The
> other tv's on the cable have no problems.
> It looks like this is a Sony problem, and I was wondering if it is a

April 18, 2005 7:30:24 PM

> [...]
>> antenna which receives local HDTV broadcasts.
>>
>> Originally suspecting the cable co. hardware, I have had several cable
>> cards replaced, and that didn't solve the problem.
>>
>> Sometimes a transmission will suddenly go black and "no signal" will
>> appear on the black screen. At other times there will be no sound with
>> a good picture.
>> The problem can usually be solved by turning the tv off and on again,
>> but it can re-occur while watching broadcast. (most of the times at
>> critical times of a plot) :)
>>
>> Another thing I've noticed is that if the HD Network (eg NBC or ABC)
>> cable transmission signal is not being received and I switch the remote
>> to the over the air (antenna) equivalent station isn't either. The
>> other tv's on the cable have no problems.
>> It looks like this is a Sony problem, and I was wondering if it is a

April 18, 2005 10:52:55 PM

> [...]

>>> antenna which receives local HDTV broadcasts.
>>>
>>> Originally suspecting the cable co. hardware, I have had several cable
>>> cards replaced, and that didn't solve the problem.
>>>
>>> Sometimes a transmission will suddenly go black and "no signal" will
>>> appear on the black screen. At other times there will be no sound with
>>> a good picture.
>>> The problem can usually be solved by turning the tv off and on again,
>>> but it can re-occur while watching broadcast. (most of the times at
>>> critical times of a plot) :)
>>>
>>> Another thing I've noticed is that if the HD Network (eg NBC or ABC)
>>> cable transmission signal is not being received and I switch the remote
>>> to the over the air (antenna) equivalent station isn't either. The
>>> other tv's on the cable have no problems.
>>> It looks like this is a Sony problem, and I was wondering if it is a

April 18, 2005 11:14:32 PM

FYI: Authorized SONY as well as many other manufacturers devices. Seen a few
strange problems with the implementation of the Cable Card via both major
cable suppliers in our geographic area. {Greater Detroit, South-East
Michigan, North West Ohio}.<

> [...]
>> (they hold the extended warranty and do the service for SONY). They
> were
>> the ones who acquired the firmware upgrade from Sony set that I
> installed.
>> I tried 2 cablecards in all.
>>
>> Personally, I never had any problem with OTA stations and did not
> find that
>> my OTA reception related to the cablecard reception problems in any
> way.
>>
>> Time-Warner Cable here readily admits that they are not yet able to
> provide
>> very good service to cablecards, calls the technology very early
> stage and
>> says Time-Warner engineers are working with Scientific Atlanta and
> the TV
>> set manufacturers to iron out problems. So they say.
>>
>> I don't understand your second question.

April 19, 2005 11:50:59 AM

<mouln@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Several months ago I bought a Sony KDF-60XS955. The set has developed a
> problem that causes it to not be able to receive several channels at
> times, with the black screen displaying "no signal"
>
> I am using a cable card with Cox Cable. I also have an over the air
> antenna which receives local HDTV broadcasts.
>
> Originally suspecting the cable co. hardware, I have had several cable
> cards replaced, and that didn't solve the problem.
>
> Sometimes a transmission will suddenly go black and "no signal" will
> appear on the black screen. At other times there will be no sound with
> a good picture.
> The problem can usually be solved by turning the tv off and on again,
> but it can re-occur while watching broadcast. (most of the times at
> critical times of a plot) :)
>
> Another thing I've noticed is that if the HD Network (eg NBC or ABC)
> cable transmission signal is not being received and I switch the remote
> to the over the air (antenna) equivalent station isn't either. The
> other tv's on the cable have no problems.
> It looks like this is a Sony problem, and I was wondering if it is a
> known problem that others have had.
> Thanks for any help or comments!

There have been many problems with cablecard applications on most brands of
TVs, cablecards, and with most cable vendors. Most manufacturers of the
sets and the cablecard have gone through several generations of software
upgrades. Contact your Sony ASC and your cable company and have them verify
that your set and the cable system in your area is using the latest software
for your cablecard.

Cox has recently upgraded the software here in Gainesville for the SA card
and most of the problems cleared up. If you can be patient and diligent,
the result will likely be significantly better performance in terms of
picture quality than using external boxes.

Unfortunately, cablecard implementation has been shaky. The cable operators
don't really know much about how they work and the set manufacturers, cable
operators, and card vendors all have to work together to solve the problems.
The communication between them all has varied greatly and depends largely on
getting the right people to talk to each other. The control point that can
effect the most improvement in the matter is usually the cable operator.
For any one party to say that the problem is with "your set", "the cable
company", or "the cablecard", is irresponsible. All three have to be
working together properly for the system to work. I spent dozens of hours
communicating with all three levels trying to get problems worked out for
our clients. Fortunately, the local Cox operator was very cooperative in
figuring it all out. Ultimately the deployment of the SA software was the
most important part.

Leonard
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 10:53:59 PM

<mouln@yahoo.com> wrote

> Mack: Did your problems end when you went back to the box?

Yes, I am currently using an SA 8300 HD-DVR cable box input to the TV via
HDMI for video and optical digital cable for audio. No problems at all,
except those from the local stations or the networks on occasion, of course.
Also get good OTA from the stations that provide good signals, via a Gemini
set-top antenna, placed near a window, as always.

mack
austin

> [...]
>> (they hold the extended warranty and do the service for SONY). They
> were
>> the ones who acquired the firmware upgrade from Sony set that I
> installed.
>> I tried 2 cablecards in all.
>>
>> Personally, I never had any problem with OTA stations and did not
> find that
>> my OTA reception related to the cablecard reception problems in any
> way.
>>
>> Time-Warner Cable here readily admits that they are not yet able to
> provide
>> very good service to cablecards, calls the technology very early
> stage and
>> says Time-Warner engineers are working with Scientific Atlanta and
> the TV
>> set manufacturers to iron out problems. So they say.
>>
>> I don't understand your second question.

April 19, 2005 10:59:50 PM

Art,

Interesting to know what you meant by the "Q box".

Technicians "green" on cablecard? When a SEARS guy came out and I told him
I had a cablecard, he replied, "What's a cablecard?" Later, SEARS
apologized and told me that they would send out someone else, with more CC
experience in the future. Who knows, maybe they actually have someone like
that. But you see why I just went ahead and installed my own Sony firmware
upgrade.

Time-Warner Cable knows a bit more about CC's but, as yet, not enough.
Apparently, the cable companies, set manufacturers, and authorized service
providers are not on the same page with CC yet, or near it. Time-Warner
here claims that Panasonic sets work best with CC's. In any case, it is an
early technology -- based on my experience, for most people it's too early
to mess with it, if you have a good second choice. For me, the SA 8300
HD-DVR turned out to be a MUCH better way to go.

mack
austin

> [...]
>>> (they hold the extended warranty and do the service for SONY). They
>> were
>>> the ones who acquired the firmware upgrade from Sony set that I
>> installed.
>>> I tried 2 cablecards in all.
>>>
>>> Personally, I never had any problem with OTA stations and did not
>> find that
>>> my OTA reception related to the cablecard reception problems in any
>> way.
>>>
>>> Time-Warner Cable here readily admits that they are not yet able to
>> provide
>>> very good service to cablecards, calls the technology very early
>> stage and
>>> says Time-Warner engineers are working with Scientific Atlanta and
>> the TV
>>> set manufacturers to iron out problems. So they say.
>>>
>>> I don't understand your second question.

April 19, 2005 11:05:08 PM

Unfortunately, Time-Warner Cable here seems to be at a dead end in terms of
figuring out what the CC problems are. They do work on it, and have made
some improvements but, in the end, they themselves say they don't really
understand the problems and are unable to fix them. They have a tendency to
blame everything on the interface of CC, cable company and TV set. They
like Panasonics; they don't like Sony's.

Also, you have the problem (at least, I do) that even if your CC works
great, in terms of signal, you have no program guide from the cable company
and no HD DVR. I was used to my Panasonic E80 SD DVR and loathe to give up
the time-shifting capability when I went to HD. Now, with the SA 8300 HD
DVR, even though it has its share of irritating quirks (that they could
probably fix with one firmware upgrade if they really wanted to!) it's a
GREAT thing to have a (1) good signal, both HD and SD, (2) a program guide
and (3) the ability to just punch R on the remote and record 1 or 2 shows
right off the guide, then watch them back, looking just like the original.
Didn't get any of that with the CC.

mack
austin

"Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> cable
> operators, and card vendors all have to work together to solve the
> problems.
> The communication between them all has varied greatly and depends largely
> on
> getting the right people to talk to each other. The control point that
> can
> effect the most improvement in the matter is usually the cable operator.
> For any one party to say that the problem is with "your set", "the cable
> company", or "the cablecard", is irresponsible. All three have to be
> working together properly for the system to work. I spent dozens of hours
> communicating with all three levels trying to get problems worked out for
> our clients. Fortunately, the local Cox operator was very cooperative in
> figuring it all out. Ultimately the deployment of the SA software was the

April 19, 2005 11:05:09 PM

I have been watching developments on the cable card front for some time.
The cable companies are not exactly thrilled about one way cards and I
suspect that they might be secretly pleased when they do not work. They may
even have a little something to do with it. The box rental and the
possibility of program ordering bode well for cable revenue.

As for myself, I couldn't care less about a programming guide or pay per
view or any of it. You don't need the card for unscrambled channels and as
soon as the cable company has the card working well, I intend to buy an HDTV
with one way cable card capability for the extra pay HDTV channels I might
want to purchase. Right now, the company is sending the customer to a
different location to actually acquire the the card (a contractor?).
They're not making it easy and a person is more likely to say, "Oh, give me
the box."

People at the AVS Forum say that the picture is significantly improved when
it uses the card and doesn't go through the box. That is because the
electronics in the set are better than the cable box.

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:EDc9e.19494$hu5.10941@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> [...]
> > The communication between them all has varied greatly and depends
largely
> > on
> > getting the right people to talk to each other. The control point that
> > can
> > effect the most improvement in the matter is usually the cable operator.
> > For any one party to say that the problem is with "your set", "the cable
> > company", or "the cablecard", is irresponsible. All three have to be
> > working together properly for the system to work. I spent dozens of
hours
> > communicating with all three levels trying to get problems worked out
for
> > our clients. Fortunately, the local Cox operator was very cooperative
in
> > figuring it all out. Ultimately the deployment of the SA software was

April 20, 2005 2:51:48 AM

My Cable Card in our Mitz 62725 works perfect. I had one problem initially
with occasional lockup until a recent firmware upgrade(about 2 months ago).
Now it's fine. We have comcast...if that matters. I think a lot of this is
the TV manufacturers fault. They should be able to interface cable
company's known technology......as far as my "knowledge" goes, the CC is
simply a descrambling device? Correct?

Don

"Stan" <ssum9160@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> largely
>> > on
>> > getting the right people to talk to each other. The control point that
>> > can
>> > effect the most improvement in the matter is usually the cable
>> > operator.
>> > For any one party to say that the problem is with "your set", "the
>> > cable
>> > company", or "the cablecard", is irresponsible. All three have to be
>> > working together properly for the system to work. I spent dozens of
> hours
>> > communicating with all three levels trying to get problems worked out
> for
>> > our clients. Fortunately, the local Cox operator was very cooperative
> in
>> > figuring it all out. Ultimately the deployment of the SA software was

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:28:20 PM

I found that using a cablecard greatly improved my SD reception over a basic
HD cablebox from Time-Warner. The TV set did a better job of converting the
SD picture than that box did. But when we eventually went to an SA 8300 HD
DVR cable box, the SD reception through it was as good as it was via the
cablecard, so that reason for using a CC went out the window.

Personally, I find having an onscreen cable guide to be very convenient.
And I had gotten used to a DVR, having used an SD Panasonic E80 for over a
year to time-shift programs, before we got our HDTV.

As for pay-per-view, there is, in theory, some good things about having "On
Demand" channels, even if you don't ever buy PPV events. Some of the OD
channels are free and if you like OD cooking shows or decorating or
whatever, you can pick and choose through them. We have an On Demand HD
Movie channel where you can watch HD movies @ $4.95 each. If they had a
larger selection (only 9 last time I looked) I would probably buy one
occasionally. Worth an extra buck or two to not have to go rent a DVD and
the picture is better.

mack
austin

> [...]
> largely
>> > on
>> > getting the right people to talk to each other. The control point that
>> > can
>> > effect the most improvement in the matter is usually the cable
>> > operator.
>> > For any one party to say that the problem is with "your set", "the
>> > cable
>> > company", or "the cablecard", is irresponsible. All three have to be
>> > working together properly for the system to work. I spent dozens of
> hours
>> > communicating with all three levels trying to get problems worked out
> for
>> > our clients. Fortunately, the local Cox operator was very cooperative
> in
>> > figuring it all out. Ultimately the deployment of the SA software was

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:05:43 PM

I tried replying earlier but haven't seen it post. I may have done
something wrong so, I'll try again.
I too have the Sony KDF-60XS955 (bought 11/04 Manuf. 10/04) and a few
days ago it lost a few of the HD channels that it previously had. I
thought Adelphia was scrambling of blocking, but why not all the HD
channels? So I rescanned. The TV found and put back in the same
location all the channels except NBC-D which it located a 0.0. The next
day I noticed I could no longer "channel up & down" via the remote or
the buttons on the TV. I went into the menu where I found it had
forgotten all the channels. I recanned yet again. I found them all
again and still had NBC-D at 0.0. That lasted a few hours when it
couldn't change channels and lost its memory. I called Sony then Best
Buy (I have an extended warranty and figured this is strike one on the
lemon clause, let them handle it). Yesterday the TV responded to ch up
& dn but would only tune between 82.1-82.80 with only one live channel
82.6. All others were "No Signal". Also durning one of my explorations
of the menu system, the menu "collapsed" into a mass of veticle lines!
Best Buy comes today to look at my "audio problem"!!! Grrrrr. I
explained to the tech this AM what exactly is going on. I'm glad to
know from an earlier post that there's a firmware update, I'll push for
that. But I have no hope he'll be bringing a replacement tuner
card/board whatever. My last Sony RPTV had 9 repairs under the 5 year
contract, but never quite made it to lemon status. I wonder how this
one will do. I'm still wondering why I bought another Sony. Don't
ask!?! :-(
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:25:35 PM

Hi Mack,

I have the cable going straight into the set's CATV in. The TV can
capture all of the analog channels and many of the digital (but not all
nor any pay)channels including the local HD channels. (Until the other
day that is) I also have a "rabbit ears" set up to get the OTA HD
channels Adelphia doesn't provide (The KTLA-WB and KOCE PBS Orange
County) as of yet. I also have a Moxi Cable PVR box for the pay HD
channels HBO, ESPN and Discovery that I get, and to record the Local HD
channels they provide.
The Best Buy tech just left. He's ordering the main circuit board as he
feels it's more a memory/proccessing issue than the tuner. Could be,
I'll let him try that. I've got a thread going in the AVS Forum RPTV
section on this issue. Between these two forums I hope we find an
answer.

Joe

Mack McKinnon wrote:
> I haven't had any problems such as you describe with my 955. But the
way
> you describe this seems kind of weird to me. It sounds as though you
are
> trying to pull in cable channels in the same way you would pull in
OTA
> channels. I think you can do that with "in the clear" HD channels on
> basic cable hookup. Maybe that is what you have.
>
> But if you are trying to pull in HD channels provided by Adelphia,
they
> should be coming in as something like "Ch. 1501, Ch. 1502" or
whatever --
> that sort of thing. That is true even with a cablecard, which you
did not
> mention, so I doubt you have a cablecard. The tuned numbers with
decimals
> and all that have to do with pulling in OTA reception using an
antenna.
> With a cable box, the cable company does that for you and transmits
the
> channels as regularly numbered cable channels.
>
> How do you have your cable hooked up? With a cablecard (or, I
suppose, if
> you are taking "in the clear" HD channels off basic cable) it goes
into the
> "cable" input, not the "antenna" input. Obviously, you hook up an
OTA
> antenna into that one. With a cable box, the cable normally goes
into the
> cable box and then you use component or HDMI to connect to one of
your TV
> set's inputs. You should be able to just tune to the HD channels, as
they
> show up on the Adelphia guide.
>
> mack
> austin
>

> "Joe in Los Angels" <josephspiegel@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I tried replying earlier but haven't seen it post. I may have done
> > something wrong so, I'll try again.
> > I too have the Sony KDF-60XS955 (bought 11/04 Manuf. 10/04) and a
few
> > days ago it lost a few of the HD channels that it previously had. I
> > thought Adelphia was scrambling of blocking, but why not all the HD
> > channels? So I rescanned. The TV found and put back in the same
> > location all the channels except NBC-D which it located a 0.0. The
next
> > day I noticed I could no longer "channel up & down" via the remote
or
> > the buttons on the TV. I went into the menu where I found it had
> > forgotten all the channels. I recanned yet again. I found them all
> > again and still had NBC-D at 0.0. That lasted a few hours when it
> > couldn't change channels and lost its memory. I called Sony then
Best
> > Buy (I have an extended warranty and figured this is strike one on
the
> > lemon clause, let them handle it). Yesterday the TV responded to ch
up
> > & dn but would only tune between 82.1-82.80 with only one live
channel
> > 82.6. All others were "No Signal". Also durning one of my
explorations
> > of the menu system, the menu "collapsed" into a mass of veticle
lines!
> > Best Buy comes today to look at my "audio problem"!!! Grrrrr. I
> > explained to the tech this AM what exactly is going on. I'm glad to
> > know from an earlier post that there's a firmware update, I'll push
for
> > that. But I have no hope he'll be bringing a replacement tuner
> > card/board whatever. My last Sony RPTV had 9 repairs under the 5
year
> > contract, but never quite made it to lemon status. I wonder how
this
> > one will do. I'm still wondering why I bought another Sony. Don't

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:10:21 AM

I haven't had any problems such as you describe with my 955. But the way
you describe this seems kind of weird to me. It sounds as though you are
trying to pull in cable channels in the same way you would pull in OTA
channels. I think you can do that with "in the clear" HD channels on a

!