What program gets an accurate temp reading?

tm84p

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I am having some problems with getting an accurate reading on my cpu, I am running an e4300 at stock settings with a zalman9700 on a Gigabyte965p-ds3 rev 1.3 in an Antec 900

With speedfan I am only getting these readings

Temp1: 34C
Temp2:21C
Temp3: -2C obviously not anything
Core 0: 25C
Core 1: 23C

While my coretemp .96 is telling me

Core 0: 40C
Core 1: 39C

I know that there is the 15 degree offset but those temps are fluctuating between 15-25 degrees apart. And besides those are just idle temps, I am not using anything right now. Anyway my questions were should I go with Coretemps readings, if so why is the temp so high and what should I do about lowering that, and lastly why am not getting the full readings on Speedfan, I know usually it displays CPU temp, GPU temp etc, but this is all I am getting.

The rest of the system is Corsair 520w, 3 sata HD's 2 DVD drives, BFG 8800GT OC'ed version, linksys wiresless N card, thats about it. Oh and I haven't OC'ed it yet, this is all on stock settings, other than optimizing the BIOS a tad and changing the memory timings I haven't changed the Vcore, FSB or anything. Thanks for your help guys, these forums are the best school you can learn from!

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
From what I've found, speedfan usually seems to give the most accurate temp readings and these are the ones I refered to whilst overclocking.

When you next boot up have a look at your temps in the BIOS and see what they are at. Its not going to be very accurate as you haven't booted into windows yet, but it should give a vague idea. I would imagine that they should also be in the mid twenties.

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Ok thats good I wouldn't be worried then. Your HSF is obviously correctly placed and it doesn't look like you've done anything wrong. let the overclocking begin!