New System Build for gaming or just wait?

boozie

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Currently I'm running:

p4 2.4 ghz
1 gig ram
ATI X850 256 mb agp

With TF2 coming out and WAR on the way I'm wondering if I should get something new within the month or wait until early next year.

I've got about $1300 to spend w/ no monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS needed.
I don't OC, and I won't run SLI ever.

Running games at 1280X1024 leaves me looking at 8800 gts 320 mb or the x2900 pro (IF I can get one by the time I make up my mind). Can/should I get something more expensive?

For CPU, I'm looking at Q6600 vs E6750 or should I get something entirely different?

Any advice for mobos/ram? Planning on 2-gigs and running windows XP.

I'm extremely new at building computers so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Boozie,

I'm looking at your old system and guessing that it lasted about 4 years. I'm also guessing you'd like your new system to last several years too. If that's true, go for a Q6600 rather than any dual-core. Do read Maziar's links, but don't get a dual core just because it's a bit faster in today's games or $100 cheaper.

I'd also look at GA-P35-DS3L. It's a bit cheaper than the others listed above and still very good. The only problems with it are lack of RAID support and the limit of 3 hard drives+1 DVD (the others would allow 5 or 7 drives).

8800 GTS 320 is your best choice right now IMO. HD2900Pro is good too, but it's brand new and I can't guarantee that its drivers are good. The 8800 GTS 320 drivers are not perfect but they did have almost a year of bug fixes.

RAM: Patriot is also a good brand and not very expensive. DDR2-667 would be OK too, but DDR2-800 is best.

Case: Centurion 534, for example. PSU: maybe a Corsair 520HX.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
You can wait forever.
Whenever you buy, there will be something better in 3months.

That is the life of computers.

If there are games you want to play today and your system can't play them. Upgrade.

If not, wait.
Don't upgrade today for a game that is coming out in two months.

- wait!!!!!!!!!!! -

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, fair enough. Here's what you gain if you wait, say, 3 months:

1. Q9450 CPU, $316 (apparently), about 10% faster than Q6600 (and a few other interesting CPUs too)
2. The new nVidia cards will probably be too expensive for your budget, but they will lower prices for the 8800 GTS.
3. New X38-based motherboards - I don't think you need to care. Maybe somebody with a $3000+ budget...
4. Better drivers for the 8800 GTS
5. larger hard drives at the same price, or cheaper hard drives at the same capacity

bliq

Distinguished

of that list, only the new proc matters, but it too will be replaced in a few months. My opinion is to buy the second fastest chip at any given time and you'll be happy for at least 3 years as long as you're upgrading video every 18-24 months (if you're a gamer).

X38 is lovely but P35 seems to be capable of most of the stuff people care about. Plus a $100-150 premium over a good P35 board. Not worth it to me, might be to the OP.

also, the falling prices of video cards is ongoing. If you're budget is $300, the actual best card for that price will change every few months or even weeks.

better drivers can be had whether OP waits or not.

$60 for 250GB is about the going rate it seems. Grab a pair and run it R0 for half a terabyte? How much more space do you need? You can always add more later (depending on the motherboard you buy, as in how many SATA ports).

Yeah, totally agreed. I wouldn't wait, just for the slightly faster CPU. Even my Q6600 is not used at 100% ever anyway.

(I was quoting fatman90210 with his wait!!!!!!!!, not actually telling the OP to wait). I think this is a great time to buy, in fact.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

boozie

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Great feedback guys I appreciate it. This is easily the most/best help I've gotten over other places I've ever asked for computer advice.

TF2 comes out next week. HL2 engine isn't going to be a horrible burden for my computer so I'll probably try it on my old one before I commit to a new computer/waiting. I can handle low graphic settings but I can't stand choppy framerates.

edit: raid 0 doesn't seem necessary to me. Is it worth considering it/making sure my mobo at least supports it?