Windows Vista Activated

iNFECTEDcat

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Hi, i was wondering if you buy Windows Vista brand new and you activate the software online. Then 2 years later you upgrade to a new motherboard. You reformat your computer and reinstall Windows Vista. Would you not then get the message that the key has already been activated on another computer?. Seeing as though Windows Vista was activated with the old motherboard that has been upgraded.

Thanks

Depends on the version of VISTA (OEM or Retail) --OEM version is designed to be tied to the MOBO and legally when the MOBO dies so does your license to use the OS -- Retail version allows the use on 3 seperate systems (IIRC) during the lifetime as long as only one copy is in use at any time. (ie. if you install to a new system you need to remove it from the first system)

That said normally the activation process will succeed on both an OEM version or Retail version or if the automatic activation fails then activating by phone using the automated computer will work so while you technically are not supposed to reuse an OEM version it will normally activate successfully and allow you to continue using it and even if it will not activate a call to MS support explaining that the MOBO you were using died and you had to replace it with a new one will usually get MS to provide you with a new key to activate it. (Even though their EULA does not require them to provide you with one they are normally understanding that MOBOs die and as long as you have purchased a legitimate copy of the OS are usually willing to make exceptions instead of forcing you to rebuy the OS.)

iNFECTEDcat

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Thanks for the information. It's better if i go with the retail version just in case i update my board in the future. It's a shame that you still have to use a floppy disk to install a add on raid card (PCI) in vista.