Dead CPU or Dead Mobo? HELP!!

xyvo

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Just building a new system, specs : Asus p95-e sli, Q6600, Geforce 8800Gtx, 2x1GB OCZ ddr2 sticks. The problem i have is that if i power it on WITH the cpu, i get nothing but a tiny high pitch and very brief noise, no fans (CPU, Graphics or PSU), no video output, only a green motherboard light. However, when i remove the CPU, I get a continual power supply fan, graphics card fan but still no CPU fan. Either way no video. I originally thought it was the mobo until i discovered taking the cpu out makes other stuff work, so now i'm thinking that its the cpu, i've tried re-mounting it loads to no avail, so, what do you think? thanks in advance!

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Are you sure the necessary motherboard connections from the PSU are made correctly ?
What PSU do you have ?
Is it possible that the BIOS needs a update to run the Q6600 ?

xyvo

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
The mobo says its ready to run the cpu, and yeah it's all connected..but lemme double check although i'm 99% sure that's not the problem

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Try another reversal...

Plug in the CPU but don't plug in the 8800 GTX, and see if the rest of the system powers up, and if the MB speaker beeps indicating that you have no video card. Although, it may not beep, cause I've actually had my system boot into windows without a video card, from the sound of the hd. :lol:

I kinda wonder if the sound your hearing is from the PSU trying to power everything up. :eek:

xyvo

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Ok, what i did was without the cpu in again, I took the graphics card off the mb, and turned it on, no bleep, however if i had the graphics card IN with no power then i get a continuous bleep from the graphics card. (I think to indicate no power). Finally, with graphics card in, or out and powered or not, with the cpu in you get nothing but the tiniest little very brief noise, not even a squeek really..

xyvo

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Ok, what i did was without the cpu in again, I took the graphics card off the mb, and turned it on, no bleep, however if i had the graphics card IN with no power then i get a continuous bleep from the graphics card. (I think to indicate no power). Finally, with graphics card in, or out and powered or not, with the cpu in you get nothing but the tiniest little very brief noise, not even a squeek really..

xyvo

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Using the 2 6 pin adaptors off the psu, and no drives, i've got it out of case with basically nothing else but the essentials attached, cheers so far guys

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Kinda hard to follow what you did.. but from what I can tell of it, it can be of 3 things:

PSU
MB
CPU

Only advice I have is to:

1.) make sure the internal speaker is connected.

2.) just run the CPU in the MB with no ram, no nothing.

That way it should beep like crazying indicating no ram. Your bios can't give you any beep codes without the CPU. So at that point, if you have no beeps, only 2 things:

MB
CPU

Good Luck on that.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Are you trying to boot with the CPU cooler in top of it? or just the CPU? (you didn't say how you expect to cool the CPU).