• Do It Yourself
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2008 4:58:43 PM

More about : diy ram heatsink

a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2008 5:00:19 PM

Took me about 10 minutes to do every thing. The temps dropped from 89F to 84F. A 5F drop!.
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2008 5:00:45 PM

The fins are Aluminum the heat pipe is polished copper(Inside and out). The RAM is Corsair Value DDR2 667. Everything is glued together with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive.
Related resources
January 7, 2008 7:03:48 PM

well, i always admire homebrew work, including this
one.

what is the heat pipe doing, heat wise ?

if you want to have fins, to improve convection
heat flow, you can cut fins into the material with
a shear.

careful about sharp edges.
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2008 7:44:56 PM

^The Heat pipe is filled with Acetone. Without it I gained only a 2F heat drop, and with the heat pipe I got a 5F drop. A 3F difference ;) 
January 8, 2008 2:59:19 AM

howd you seal up the ends of the copper pieces?
January 8, 2008 4:49:01 AM

Although it is cool to DIY, and I do admire your handywork, I personally can't trust myself to DIY cooling for my favorite ram, which is Crucial Ballistix 1066, which I regularly overclock to 1200. It got so hot that I burnt my finger on it with the factory heatsinks. I measured with my infrared thermometer and it read 138F. I ended up resorting to using Thermaltake CL-R0026 heatpipes . They lowered the temps down to 102F, which I am quite happy with, considering I am overclocking so much.

As far as your pipes are concerned, I do see 1 issue. Your pipes are not as long as the heatsinks. This leaves no area for a cooling area, where the acetone can cool down again. If it can't cool, then you aren't having as efficient of evaporation/condensation cycle. Thus, you aren't releasing the heat from the heat pipes as much as you could be.

Much like the Thermaltake solution, I would recommend using longer pipes that have an area that can be air cooled without contacting the heatsink itself.

Another issue is the pressure of the acetone. If you lower the pressure in the pipe, then the acetone should evaporate at lower temps, thus increasing performance. However, that requires vacuum and other equipment that I don't have, and is the primary reason why I can't DIY mine.

edit:typo in url...
January 8, 2008 2:25:48 PM

I did something similar a couple years ago. But all I did was cut a P3 slot 1 heatsink in half, and used Intel thermal tape (P4 HSF aluminum tape type) & homemade metal clips. I am not sure of the temps but it allowed me to take DDR333 ram and push it to DDR400 without a problem.

-ouch1
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 2:13:12 AM

I think its an good idea if you go to any old computer junkyard / shop and buy an lot of dead non-working rams with factory installed heat sinks in very cheap price, then pull out there heat sinks and just install on your ram with silicon heat resistance paste. hope you like this idea ;)  thanks
kashif from http://CasioDigitalWatches.com
!