Best Method To BackUp My External Drive

caxtin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I have three computers. I use Ghost 9 & 10 to back-up each system and store the images in an external USB drive (500GB USB 2.0).

After formatting, the 500GB drive becomes 486GB. Now with all the files in it, I have about 360Gb used space. Just for extra precaution, what would be the best practice to back-up this external USB drive with the 360GB of data into a drive I can put in my fire protection safe?

With that data size (360GB), should I use, Ghost, Zip or what would you recommend?
With Ghost or Zip images, I can view and copy any file from the backed up image (I like this feature).

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
You want to backup the backups basical?

How big are the files on your external? if they wont fit on DVDs then your into another HD. Can your exteranl caddy change the HD thats in it?

I shouldnt think you could get much size reduction in ghosting or ziping a drive that only contains ghost and zip files.

caxtin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Vibe, let me clarify more on my situation. I was kinda vague in my post.

First I am sure I HAVE to use another drive. My goal is to use another drive, remove it and lock it up in the security safe in case of fire.

The external USB drive contains all my Ghost files and loose files. My computers are all multi partitioned and the first drives only contains my OS (C-drives), and the OS drives are the only Ghosted partitions. My data drives (D-drives) all have loose files I just copied to the external USB drive.
The external drive has 45GB of Ghost files and about 300GB of loose files. These loose files also contain video files I really don't want to “re-backup”.

After reading your reply, your hint just put good idea in my head. With Microsoft's SyncToy, I can select what to backup from the external drive. If I purchase a hard drive casing, I can convert my spare 200GB drive into an external USB drive, backup the backup drive into this new drive.

Hope I did not confuse you more. Thanks again Vibe.